Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

51 Tele Relic v. 51 Nocaster?

Discussion in 'Fender Custom Shop Tele Forum' started by Blue4Now, Feb 1, 2018.

1. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

May 3, 2009
    Northern, NJ
    I see there is a 51 Telecaster Relic (have one on the way yey!!) and there is the 51 Nocaster.

other than the lack of "Telecaster" on the headstock what's the difference? The 51 Tele Relic has the Nocaster pickups, U neck, blonde finish, looks just like the specs of the Nocaster no?

2. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

Sep 28, 2003
    NY
    I have a nocaster and love. I would imagine they are very similar.

Blue4Now likes this.

3. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

May 3, 2009
    Northern, NJ
    thanks, really looking forward to my 51 relic arriving, will post pics of course

gitarjoe likes this.

4. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    I have the 51 Relic Telecaster. It has a 9.5" radius and 6105 frets. Some Nocasters have that too. Others can have the more vintage radius and frets. I guess with the "Telecaster" added to the Headstock and calling it a 51, they're emulating a Tele made later in the year when "Telecaster was added?

I like the modern specs on mine and the overall feel. The guitar is light, but not feather weight light. The neck is huge too. I thinks some Nocaster necks can vary is size based on year made and the shop that had them made.

As long as you like a huge neck with some modern specs, you should be real happy.

5. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

May 3, 2009
    Northern, NJ
    Guitar received. Neck is big for sure but feels great even in my small hands. These necks while big are much more comfy than my old R6 which was unmanageable for me. Modern radius and frets are a must for me. This one is pretty light at 6.75 lbs. love the color. Tone it really perfection for me. Twangy beef if you will!

6. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    Outstanding. Congratulations. Enjoy it.

7. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

May 23, 2011
    Alberta, Canada
    Other than everything on a new '51 Tele relic being in fine working order and ready to play, the original '51 Nocaster Tele is less likely to be in fully working order as a result of nearly seventy years of useage and wear. The '51 Nocaster is also is going to cost you as much up to eight times as much, depending on condition and playability.

Go figure which to buy. In years to come and after the initial outlay, the new '51 Tele relic may lose it's value for a while, whilst the original '51 Nocaster should increase in value over time.

I think you have made the right choice Blue4now - the same one I would have made anyway.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2018
    Blue4Now likes this.

8. LP26

LP26 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    I have a Custom Shop 1951 Nocaster being built right now.
    The anticipated delivery date is mid to late June and the wait is, of course, killing me.
    I don't know if the following will clarify things for you, but here are the specs for the guitar I've ordered:

Body
    Body Shape: Telecaster
    Body Material: 2-Piece Select Ash
    Body Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer

Neck
    Neck Material: 1-Piece AA Flame Quartersawn Maple
    Neck Shape: 10/56 "V"
    Scale Length: 25.5" (648 mm)
    Fingerboard Radius: 9.5" (241 mm)
    Number of Frets: 21
    Fret Size: 6105 Narrow Jumbo
    String Nut: Bone
    Nut Width: 1.650" (42 mm)
    Headstock: Telecaster
    Neck Plate: 4-Bolt Vintage-Style
    Neck Finish: Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Fingerboard: 1-Piece Maple
    Position Inlays: Micarta Black

Electronics
    Bridge Pickup: Custom Shop Hand-Wound Loaded '51 Nocaster
    Neck Pickup: Custom Shop Hand-Wound Loaded '51 Nocaster
    Controls: Volume, Tone
    Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle: Position 1. Bridge Pickup, Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups, Position 3. Neck Pickup
    Pickup Configuration: SS

Hardware
    Bridge: 3-Saddle Vintage-Style Strings-Through-Body Tele with Brass Barrel Saddles
    Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style with Fender Logo
    Orientation: Right-Hand
    Pickguard: 1-Ply Black
    Control Knobs: Knurled Dome

9. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

May 3, 2009
    Northern, NJ
    that looks nice! what made you choose a custom build over an off the shelf Nocaster? did you consider sort for lightweight body? also whats the Nocaster Loaded pickup compared to the regular hand wound Nocaster pickup?

10. LP26

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    There were no off the shelf Nocasters available.
    These 1951 Nocasters are part of the Custom Shop's "Time Machine" new offerings for 2018 and come in five finish options from heavy relic to closet classic. Mine will be a journeyman relic. And yes, I did ask for a light, nicely figured body. The flame maple neck is icing on the cake.

Link below:
    http://www.fendercustomshop.com/gui...rneyman-relic-nocaster-faded-nocaster-blonde/

The Fender rep told me the Nocaster "Loaded" pickups would deliver a fatter, fuller, darker tone than the standard Custom Shop Nocaster pickups. We'll see when I have the guitar in hand. I play mostly jazz and 1950's Chicago blues and string my Teles with .012 - .051 D'Addario EPN21 pure nickel strings. Because of the music I play a fatter, fuller, darker tone is exactly what I'm after.

I'm buying the guitar through my local shop. They're a Fender Showcase Dealer so perhaps I'll see it sooner than the quoted June date.
    My birthday is at the end of May and I'm hoping to receive this 70th birthday gift to myself sometime close to that date.
    We'll see…
    Whenever I receive it I'm confident it will be a wonderful guitar.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    tonyj and Blue4Now like this.

11. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

May 3, 2009
    Northern, NJ

looks fantastic!

12. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Hello LP26,

Just browsing old posts and curious if you ever got your Nocaster? I just purchased the exact same model.

13. LP26

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    I'm still waiting 6 months + later.
    The most recently quoted delivery date (by Fender's regional rep) is "sometime in September…"

14. LP26

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)
    I'm still waiting 6 months + later.
    The most recently quoted delivery date (by Fender's regional rep) is "sometime in September…"

15. ladave

ladave Tele-Meister

Sep 25, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Wow, hope you get it soon!

16. Blue4Now

Blue4Now TDPRI Member

May 3, 2009
    Northern, NJ
    Hey! good luck on delivery of your soon to be Nocaster. I wound up seling mine after a short time as I simply could not bond with the big neck. I was luck enough to find when the FCS calls a 50's Tele, which is basically a 54 reissue with the perfect 65 C shape neck.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018

17. LP26

Nov 5, 2017
    Earth (Part-Time)

18. False Start

False Start NEW MEMBER!

Aug 12, 2018
    Penna
    Hello LP26, I have the exact same model that you are waiting on. Awesome blues guitar. The loaded nocaster pickups are great. Very gritty when overdriven. I have to turn the bass, middle, and treble controls on my blues junior amp up higher than with my Jazzmaster. I haven't made my mind up on the fat 50s wiring. I keep tossing around the idea of getting a slightly hotter neck pickup, but the more I play the guitar the more I like it. Awesome blues guitar! I hope yours arrives soon!

zephyrR1 and ladave like this.

19. gio19

gio19 TDPRI Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Arizona
    I just picked myself up one of these 2018 Time Machines in lush closet classic finish. Amazing. Absolutely loving it.

[​IMG]

hdvades, Amby and tce63 like this.

20. Amby

Amby Tele-Holic

Love it well done gio19.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.