Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

50's Wiring + Bypassing Tone Pot... All At Once?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by 3-Chord-Genius, Oct 6, 2017.

1. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Okay, I have a tone pot on a dual humbucker (Les Paul configuration) guitar that does not work. It just spins and spins and spins (the actual potentiometer shaft) and since I don't use the tone pot anyway, and usually leave it cranked wide open, I was thinking of disabling it and just leaving it in place. I am also thinking of converting the wiring of the tone/volume control to 50's wiring. Here's my question: since 50's wiring simply means switching the order of the volume and tone pots in the series, would bypassing the tone pot (by cutting one leg of the capacitor off the pot) effectively also result in a 50's wiring configuration, retaining the high end when I roll the volume off?

2. Dacious

Dacious Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Godzone
    No, in short. It just means you're not loading the signal with the pot - even wide open it still represents a load. Even though the shaft is spinning, the wiper could be pointing anywhere. The answer is to open the control plate and disconnect the wire to the pot and see what the effect is.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.