Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

`50's wireing advice

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by all_identaties_taken, May 16, 2006.

1. all_identaties_taken

all_identaties_taken Tele-Holic

May 16, 2006
    London, UK
    Hi there, this is my first post, and I did look but couldn't find a similar question. But my apologies if it is something that has been asked many times before.

I'm building a 'parts' telecaster. Only I want the thing to be as authentic to the 1950's Broadcaster/nocaster/Tele as can be. It'll have an ash body, maple neck, Bakelite scratch plate flat head screws and so on.
    My question is about the wiring. I have a wiring diagram from Fender's website for the 1950 model. But I also have one from Seymore Duncan. There is a conflict. The Duncan one has a second capacitor between the volume pot and the switch. A rare `50's tele for sale on e-bay.co.uk (from a reputable dealer) has a photo of the control plate showing this second capacitor. The description climes "The guitar is all original except for the usual wiring modification to remove the pre-set bassy tone in the neck position." This must be what the second capacitor is for. Is it worth wiring up the `51 nocater pickups like this. I want the classic Bakersfield Tele twang, is this mod the way to go?

I'd also like some advice about the grade of wire used in the old guitars. Plus dose anyone know where to get the right style of capacitor. I can't seem to find a .05 anywhere.

2. DavidE

DavidE Tele-Meister

Nov 15, 2005
    I think it's been suggested here before that some of the Duncan diagrams are wrong?? Anyway, the answer to your question depends on which era you want to copy. Up to mid-1952 the configuration was for a "blend" control instead of a true "tone" control (I've seen June '52 guitars both ways so that seems to be the point where they phased the change in) and this setup used only one .050 cap between to switch and the volume pot. The '52-'67 configuration allowed for both pickups at the same time and a true "tone" control so there was an additional .050 cap for this reason between the volume & tone pots. Just about any electronics store will carry the parts you need...although they will be modern ceramic caps instead of the old foil type. Pick up the .047 mfd value...there's usually a 10-15% variance anyway and you won't know the difference. I don't think anyone actually labels .050 caps anymore.

Cheers,
    david

3. all_identaties_taken

May 16, 2006
    London, UK
    Thanks, although the era I'm trying to replecate is the `52 nocaster. The diagram on Fender's website only has the cap between the two pots, and one of two mid `50's teles on e-bay have just this one. I think for now I'll start off with just this as per the Fender diagram.

I've acctually managed to find a NOS .05 cap which is more along the lines of the ones from the early years.

I think Seymores diagram is Seymore pickup specific.

4. all_identaties_taken

May 16, 2006
    London, UK
    Might be easier with photos.

[​IMG]
    This is from a 1955 Tele which has a cap between the earth and the switch. This second cap looks a lot like the type Dan Armstrong and later Kent used to sell. Were this guitar not authenticated you would think it was a new 'closet classic'

[​IMG]
    This is from a 1954 Tele, and although it looks like it was wierd on a Friday afternoon, is as far as I can tell exactly the same as the plans on Fenders website. This guitar has lived a bit more than the `55 by the look of it.

5. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Nov 3, 2005
    LeeK (England)

6. DavidE

DavidE Tele-Meister

Nov 15, 2005
    Sounds like you want a true tone control then? If there's a cap between the two pots then it's wired for a tone control because the purpose of the the cap is to cut the highs. One thing, I think I mispoke in my last email though...the '52-'67 scheme does not allow for a two pickup combination. For that you will need the '67-on diagram. Also, you stated you want the true '52 Nocaster scheme but I don't believe there are any '52 Nocasters. They were produced in late 1950 to mid-'51 and would have had the blend control instead of a tone control.

7. all_identaties_taken

May 16, 2006
    London, UK
    `51 is the year of nocasters, `52 was a mistake.

I think I'll go with the true tone version of the later `50's with the cap running between the two pots. Which should give me the classic sound with the Nocaster pickups.
    As for the two pickup combenation, the wiring listed as `50's telecaster on Fender's site say's you can have this?
    http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdfs/50STELE/SD0131202BPg2.pdf

Acctually apart from the 0.1uf cap on the volume pot this is the same as the standard wireing diagram on Fuzzy's site (great site, thanks Steve)

So I think I'll start with this as a base. Thanks for all you help.

8. all_identaties_taken

May 16, 2006
    London, UK
    I've finally worked all this out. The 'Bassy Tone' mod is re wireing the switch so that you have the two pick up selection. The `50's and `60's diagrams on the Fender site are nor for `50's and `60's guitars but for reissues which are wired differntly as most everyone did that mod in the first place.
    Sorry to have been so dence. Still I think I'll stick with this wireing as it's more useful.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.