Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by TenaciousP, Apr 22, 2016.
That just Drips with glow and depth.
When do you think you might start winding the Humbuckers?
Great color. Looking forward to the pickup winding stage.
Wow! Thank you all for all the positive comments and likes! Although I’ve made a few mistakes so far and the guitar has a few minor flaws, I’m pretty excited about how it’s turning out.
Stay tuned and I’ll try to have some new progress updates soon.
Well, I think the first time I sprayed it, I could kinda see it faintly. After I had to sand the black off and redo it, I couldn’t really see it. But I knew about where it was and just started scraping. Once you get a little bit scraped and you know where you’re at, its pretty it’s easy to figure where to go from there. I don’t know how Gibson did it back in the old days, maybe they left the pearl a bit proud and sanded the black off? I don’t know. I always thought they glued the pearl in to the window of the holly veneer while it was separate from the headstock. But for me, I couldn’t figure out an easy way of doing that while keeping the veneer flat at the same time. So I just glued my veneer on the guitar and then glued in the pearl. Then I sanded the entire headstock face to ensure the veneer was perfectly flat and smooth. This of course brings the pearl down flush with the veneer. So I just sprayed black and scraped the best way I knew how.
Thanks a lot guys!
I need to work on a wire tensioner attachment for my winder and then I guess I’ll start winding. With the little time I have to work on it, I’m not sure how long it will take. But, hopefully very soon.
Well, Tenacious P, we are all just a little envious of your skills, yet, simultaneously proud of you and, shall I say, tickled to have you share the details with us. Personally, I have a hard time assembling a Tele without messing something up; I'll massage a piece of wood with my bare hands until it gleams, and I can usually make a good guitar play great, but what you are doing just amazes me.
Great, great job! Congratulations!
I keep coming back to this pic. I know, we've been waiting on the burst, and it looks great, but this one made me stop dead. The angle of the neck, the control routs, it's perfect. And of course I know what's on the other side...
Dude, that is one awesome looking guitar! Fantastic job.
That turned out gorgeous!
TP - I just read through this whole awesome thread! Lots of great info in here! Thanks for posting all of this!
Quick question - Can you tell us what you used for the pore filler (type and color) and what color mixture you ended up using for the top?
Makes me want to build a LP and I’ve yet to do my first tele. Have to keep telling myself “Baby steps grasshopper”
Thanks! I’m glad you like it.
The pore filler is oil based filler. I mixed my own so I could keep the quantity to about what I needed for only one guitar. I followed instructions given by Gil (Preeb) in his 59 LP build thread. It’s basically just 4F pumice powder and boiled linseed oil. I just sorta guesstimated the ratio and adjusted until it was the consistency I thought it should be. Kinda like a thick pudding but thin enough to be applied with a brush with the bristles cut down short. For the color I used J.E. Moser brand Red Mahogany oil soluble aniline dye. The Red Cherry didn’t look very red to me even at very high concentration.
For the top color, I used Moser alcohol soluble dyes. It’s mostly Natural Red Cherry color. I added a few drops of the Royal Blue and a few of Light Golden Brown Walnut to try to darken the red a little. I found that using too much blue causes the red to start looking a bit purple as it fades. So I probably only mixed in two or three drops of blue and brown each with like 120 drops of red. I suppose this could all depend on how concentrated you mix your dyes with the alcohol. The dyes were desolved in denatured alcohol for a day or so and strained through a coffee filter. Then I added about 20 or 30 percent acetone. The acetone allows it to mix with the nitro lacquer. I read that if you add the alcohol/dye directly to the lacquer, it will cause the solids in the lacquer to precipitate out of solution. That would be a nasty mess I imagine.
Thanks y’all! I’m pretty excited about it. I can’t wait to get it playing.
I’m glad you like the LP build.
I can tell you that if you want to build a guitar, do lots of reading on this site first and then start building something. I learned most of my amateur guitar building techniques from reading the build threads found here. One day I just decided to take the plunge and started making saw dust. You’ll make some mistakes, but that’s also how you learn. Hopefully we’ll see that first Tele build on here before too long.
Thanks for the info. Very helpful.
Awesome. I wish I could build stuff.