Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Join TDPRI Today

50's Baja Wiring help please

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by davo8411, Jun 17, 2017.

1. davo8411

davo8411 TDPRI Member

Nov 8, 2011
    Pensacola, Florida
    I purchased a used 50's Baja control plate complete with the S-1 switch, vol and tone. I also purchased a used set of the pickups that were taken out of a Baja 50's Tele, which should be a Twisted Tele neck pickup and a Broadcaster bridge pickup. Note that I said SHOULD. My neck pickup has one white and one black wire which appear to be cloth covered. The Baja wiring diagram shows the neck pickup having green, yellow and black wires. So I looked on ebay and Reverb for other used Twisted Tele pickups and sure enough they all have the green/yellow/black wiring. So I don't know if I got taken, or if someone modified the neck pickup or . . . well whatever.

Also, my S-1 switch is encased in a black plastic housing. The wiring diagram shows about three different wires being grounded to the S-1 switch. For all other examples of S-1/Baja switches I viewed on the internet, the S-1 switch does NOT have this black plastic housing on it. So I don't have a spot to attach what I believe are the various ground wires to the S-1 switch because it is covered with this plastic housing.

I have changed out pickups and volume/tone pots before on other guitars and have no problem with soldering. But I cannot figure out how to wire this up.

If I hook up the neck pickup white wire as though it was the yellow wire in the diagram, add a "green" wire to the pickup cover to ground on the tone pot, and wire the black wire as in the diagram. Does this sound like it will work? The photo is attached to show the black housing that surrounds the S-1 switch.

20170617_211720.jpg

2. sonofiam

sonofiam Tele-Meister

Jan 19, 2017
    Inland Northwest
    I don't believe you got taken on the control plate assembly. I did find some S-1 switches and control plate assemblies with the plastic housing that were advertised as genuine Fender at several vendors (my guess is different suppliers?). As far as the neck pickup wiring, you are correct in needing to add a third wire (green) to the cover and solder to ground. You can solder all grounds to the tone pot, just make sure to get good conduction between both of the pots and the control plate. I sand the back of the control plate and the the base of the shaft (where they make contact with the plate) to make sure of this.

I gathered from your post you had a wiring diagram but attached another in case it would offer any further help.

Attached Files:

3. sonofiam

sonofiam Tele-Meister

Jan 19, 2017
    Inland Northwest
    Let me clarify on the control plate assembly: I believe it's genuine Fender, I can't confirm that is actually from a Baja. The Baja assemblies I found had Sprague orange drops and no plastic housings.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    The control plate looks to be from a recent CP Baja 50s.
    The blue/white wire is correct and the capacitors are correct, afaik Bajas have never been factory fitted with Sprague caps. The enclosed S1 switch seems to be a recent change and more parted out Bajas are appearing with them.

Classic_Player_Baja_50s_new_S1_switch.jpg

6. moosie

moosie Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    S1 switches upgraded manufacturing from open frame to plastic housed. Apparently over time the originals were failing from all the pushing.

I'm just reporting. I like the old ones, but they're impossible to find new anymore. The terminals on the new plastic ones are weak and will break right off, leaving you with a black plastic rock.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.