Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

50' 60's Tele for small hands, short fingers

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Danishboy, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa

12-13tkr? ... That can get you a used CS tele, only problem is that they are rare. One or two a year. (People trying to sell them for 17-18tkr is less rare, but ...)

I bought a '69 AVRI last year for 6k that I ended up not liking, but still took me a month to sell it for 7k.

6k for one of the AVRI's is very lucky, 7k is doable with patience, while if you pay more than 8k, you've paid too much imo. Only issue is that they are rare, so you do indeed need patience :)

And of course for 12-13tkr. you can buy a new one.

Happy hunting!

Danishboy likes this.

2. LiteAsh

LiteAsh Tele-Meister

My big mistake was allways prefer thin necks (small hands yes...), but after try to play baja tele (50's) - and this is big neck in compare with my usual guitars - never back to thin...

Vespa_One likes this.

3. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    ANY tele with a vintage style 3 saddle bridge and a decent vintage style low output bridge pup with a baseplate will give you that tone.

In your price range the lowest I can think off are these (I am quoting Thomann prices since you are Danish)

https://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_sq_classic_vibe_tele_50s_bb.htm

https://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_squier_classic_vibe_telecustom.htm?ref=search_prv_6

and the highest (with thin or medium size necks) these:

https://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_2012_am_vintage_58_tele_awb.htm

https://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_am_pro_tele_mn_mys.htm

https://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_am_vintage_64_tele_awb.htm

if it were me I would simply buy this as my starter (and keeper) tele:

https://www.thomann.de/dk/fender_cl...tele_fs.htm?ref=search_rslt_baja+60s_346122_6

excellent guitar with modern playability,thin neck and vintage sound.

Danishboy likes this.

4. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    Well the Classis Vibe 50's sounds perfect (on youtube)
    When i was hunting down my first guitar some months ago, I must have tried 25 different guitars.
    Teles, Strats, Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Semi Hollows etc. Cheap and expensive guitar. The one that had the best sound, was the Baja 50's Classic Player into a fender deluxe custom 68. I couldnt get used to the neck though. Way to big for my hands.
    I think it's the V neck. I like a C neck much better.
    And a maple neck.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2017

5. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 3, 2003
    Athens-GREECE
    The 60s Baja has a c shape thin neck ,unfortunately it only comes w/ a rw fretboard.

The Classic Vibe 50's also has a c shape thin (maple) neck it is killer guitar for the money with fantastic pickups.

Danishboy likes this.

6. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    It's not am std thin, but nothing like the 50s baja. A different approach could be to get an am special or hwy1 used. They have they am std thin neck and 3 saddle bridge. If you can live with the jumbo frets that I actually like, then just throw in a set of nocaster pups and you're good to go. .. and they usually go cheap on the used market.

Danishboy and Nick Fanis like this.

7. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    American Special or Highway 1?
    My current tele has medium jumbo frets, and i really like it. Havent tried jumbos I think.

8. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Jul 15, 2013
    Europa
    Both they are basically the same guitar, it used to be called highway 1 and is now called am special. I'm not sure about the differences .. it may just be steel vs. brass saddles :)

The jumbos are not that different from the medium jumbos is you ask me, but some hate them.

9. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 19, 2011
    United Kingdom
    I have small hands, and I find the most comfortable necks have a small nut width (around 41mm or less) which is pretty close to quoted specs for 60s fenders (but with obvious variances). My 66 mustang has a ~41mm nut but a pretty fat back profile and I find it very comfortable.

There was a mid/late 60s 345 in a shop near me that had a 38-39mm nut! Teeny weeny nut! That neck was small all over.

10. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    I know someone with a small neck and tiny nuts...
    I kidd, i kidd!! :lol:

BBill64 likes this.

11. Rooster16

Rooster16 TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Aug 28, 2017
    Canada
    That's a hand position thing. Your thumb is likely wrapped around the top of the neck. Drop it down to the middle of the neck and leave a space between the palm of your hand and the back of the neck. It'll put your hand in a proper playing position.

12. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    ...or, get bigger hands. ;)

Rooster16 likes this.

13. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    Well, then I wouldnt had to do this thread, now would I?

14. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Holic

Apr 19, 2014
    SATX
    Apologies...it was intended as a joking reply to the recommendation of changing playing position. While the advice on playing position is undoubtedly sound I, for one, would find it almost as difficult to change my thumb position while playing (after 20+ years) as it would be to upgrade my hands to a larger size... :)

15. Danishboy

Danishboy TDPRI Member

Mar 12, 2017
    Denmark
    No harm done. Well, since i'm fairly new at playing guitar, it should be easy to change (bad) habbits.

16. Kerberos

Kerberos Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Nov 27, 2016
    Long Island
    Squier Classic Vibe Line - Necks are narrow, thin, and they sound fantastic.

Danishboy likes this.

17. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 8, 2007
    Norfolk UK
    Get a maker to make you a short scale tele body and put a Jaguar neck on it .Cheapest option is the Squier Bullet Mustang which after a bit of fret polishing and fret end filing works a real treat .The headstock logo rubbed off mine with out me actually trying .I still cant play some jazz full chords so work round it .

Antoon likes this.

18. bo

bo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    Don't ask us. Go play every Tele you can lay your hands on and make a decision then. Warmoth makes a bunch of profiles. Find a Tele you like and get a neck for it. Note that Danny Gatton had small hands and sausage fingers and he preferred larger necks. They didn't seem to slow him down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.