Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5 way switch with "cocked wah"?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GhostRider, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Further inspection has revealed that when wired exactly like in the Phostenix's second diagram (the Schaller version) positions 2, 4 & 5 work and the rest of the positions remain dead. Vol and tone pots have no effect in that wiring though.

I wired a cable from the middle lug of the volume pot to the middle lug of the tone pot and now the controls work in positions 2 & 5 but not 4. The toggle switches work fine.

For a while I got all of the positions working but #1 & #4 sounded a bit muddy and muffled, somehow not right. I'm suspecting a bad connection or a broken wire somewhere. Must investigate...

2. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Okay guys, I wired the whole thing again with the Phostenix's first diagram and now it's working. Altough I needed to wire a cable from the middle lug of the volume pot to the middle lug of the tone pot to get the controls working. I also discovered that I had the Megaswitch the wrong way round when I set it up like in the diagram.

I've got one more problem though. The Kill Pot doesn't seem to be working (well the tone function of the pot does but the kill function doesn't). Does anyone know how to wire it correctly with this setup?

Here's the manual: http://www.shadow-electronics.com/doc/pro_pdf1/en-GB/Manual_SH_124_international.pdf?PHPSESSID=9b3652e5e61d726716a3a2c52ba81a64

I'd also like to know how to wire a push/pull volume pot with a Half-out-of-phase function to this setup. (Yes I know I'm a crazy, irritating SOaB with my half-wit wiring schemes and requests. But hey! That's me. :))

3. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I see an error in both of my drawings. The middle lug of the volume pot should go to the Blower switch, not the outside lug of the volume pot. I'll update the drawing.

If you connect the middle lug of the volume pot to the middle lug of the tone pot, you will still have the tone pot in the circuit in position 2 (cocked wah). The tone pot should be setup to be in the circuit in positions 1, 3, 4, & 5, but not connected in pos 2. That's why it goes to the 5-way switch.

4. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    What do you mean?

5. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    When I installed the switch the way it's drawn in your diagram, the position closest to the vol pot was actually neck pickup, not bridge pickup. So I had to turn the switch around to get the logical order of the switch positions.

6. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    So, if you're looking at the Megaswitch sideways like it is in the drawings, the PCB is on the bottom & the metal housing is on the top, right?

If the switch is oriented with the PCB down and the metal housing up, do the letters on the terminals match what I have in the drawings or are they reversed?

7. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    On the Shadow Kill Pot, it looks like you have to solder the ground wires on the sides of the case, since the bottom is their circuit board.

[​IMG]

I'll work on adding the 2 changes you want. It will be later today.

8. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I've added the Kill Pot to the original drawing (the one with the toggle switches added). I'll work on the others later.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011

9. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Now when I open the control plate and turn it upside down (as in the diagram) and look at the lettering on the side of the switch which points to the pickups, letter L is on the far left and letter A on the far right. And the letters are upside down. So basically I wired the switch like in the diagram and then flipped it 180° to get the positions right.

10. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    My thinking on the push-pull volume for HOoP is to just have the P-P volume add a cap in series with the neck pup. That way, you can get the HOoP when you flip the OoP toggle, or you can use it by itself to thin the Neck sound or to thin the pickups in series sound.

Gotta run, but I'll work on this later.

11. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Yeah, that HOoP idea sounds good. I never actually came to think it could be done like that. Thanks for all your support Phostenix, you're the greatest!

12. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    OK, I've updated the drawing to add the push-pull volume. I put a .002uF cap in series with the Neck. That cap's value can be changed to taste.

13. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Okay then. When I wired the setup with the push/pull pot I noticed that it didn't fit in the control cavity. So I'll need to wire it with the original vol pot. I hate to trouble you again Phostenix but could you post the diagram with the normal volume pot, the killswitch tone pot and the extra toggle switches (not the Schaller's version).

14. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Mr.Shred

I see that you have problems with the mega switch , the problem might not be the switch .

When you connect to pickup in series , you need to connect the pickup shield direct to the ground , to do that you need to instal a 3rd wire on the pickup , on the neck pickup you disconnect the cover from the black wire and connect the new wire to it , if its the bridge disconnect the copper base from the black wire and connect a wire from there to the ground , if you get a out of phase sound then one pickup lead need to be reversed . I would do both , in your case.

Mark

15. CHUCKHDTV

CHUCKHDTV Tele-Holic

Feb 6, 2013
    Montreal
    Sorry for hijacking an old thread. I just found that Arlo's Mod on a P/P

I looked at this drawing and I also read somewhere that those values would probably not be good for a neck Pup because it basically sound different than the bridge. That would be why it's wired only in the bridge position in the original drawing. If we cancelled the Tone disabling feature, would it be possible to have both side of the DPDT deal with a different PUP. It would then be possible to tune different values for different pups.

If we connect the center lugs to each pickup, the lower lug to the Pup selector and the upper lug to the caps and resistors then to the lower lug. The components should not be in the way or leak the signal when the switch is down.

What would you think of this?

I can't find a way to insert my drawing here, I'll post it as soon as I can but i think it's pretty simple.

Chuck

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.