Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5 way switch with "cocked wah"?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GhostRider, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I can see the pic now (on my phone, at least).

Are these 2 switches you've added push-pull pots or toggles?

Can you post some pictures of your wiring?

2. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Those switches are mini toggles.

I managed to fix the dead position 2, it was a bad connection. The sound is still crappy, though. I think I'll try wiring the bridge pickup straight to the pickup selector (just like in the diagram) and see what happens. At least that way I'll get to know if the switches deteriorate the sound quality (they shouldn't though, I think).

If that won't work I'll just have to rewire the whole damn thing and pay twice as much attention to my wiring.

If that won't work either I'll try and find the camera and post some pictures tomorrow.

3. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    I rewired the whole Megaswitch with no success but then I figured out what might be wrong there.

I wired the neck pickup ground wire to the out-of-phase switch and wired a new wire from the out-of-phase ground lug to the Megaswitch pin where the neck pickup ground wire should be. Now there's a ground wire coming from the out-of-phase ground lug (check my diagram) and also a second ground wire coming from the Megaswitch (as in Phostenix's diagram). Could this double grounding be the reason for the muddy, muffled sound?

Should I remove the "Megaswitch to ground" - wire completely or do I need some sort of an alternative grounding scheme?

4. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you had told me about these renegade added switches, I would have included them in the drawing. :)

[​IMG]

5. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Thanks Phostenix, you truly are an artist!

I oughta install the HOoP push/pull volume pot one of these days but I'll try to get the Megaswitch working first. It might mean more trouble for you as you may need to help me out once again. I apologize for my incompetence in the electronics field.

If you're ever coming to Oulu, be sure to let me know and I'll buy you a beer! ;)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

6. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Okay then. I wired everything just like in the new diagram and now every position works, but the sound is still muddy. It's almost as if I was playing through a fuzz pedal even when I'm not. Then I wired it again with the original diagram leaving the toggle switches out completely. It still sounds muddy, so the switches didn't deteriorate the sound quality.

Phostenix, are you absolutely, positively, 100% sure that everything's right in your diagram? I've checked, double checked, rewired and tried pretty much everything within my power, but nothing seems to work. I'm beginning to think that either there's a mistake in the diagram or there's something wrong with the Megaswitch.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

7. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland

8. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    There's no way for me to be "absolutely, positively, 100% sure", since I've not built this.

With the Blower on, the bridge pup sounds normal & bright, correct?

Do these things in order & see if any of them makes a difference:

Disconnect the tone pot from pin X.

Disconnect the .005uF cap from Pin J.

Disconnect the .01uF cap from Pin P.

9. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Yes, the bridge pickup sounds normal and bright with the blower on. It sounds just like it is supposed to sound with the blower engaged.

I tried all of those things and nothing, no difference at all.

In that other wiring scheme the pickups were wired to different pins. Can you alter that schematic so you get bridge pickup with cocked wah in position 2?

10. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Here's Schaller's version with the cocked wah mod. They chose to keep the Neck pup grounded & switch the Bridge ground lead between ground (normally) and the Neck Hot lead for the series connection (position 4). That means that your blower switch will give you the pickups in series straight to the output in position 4.

[​IMG]

11. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    So do you mean that in Megaswitch position 1 the blower switch connects the bridge pickup straight to output and in Megaswitch position 2 blower connects both pickups in series straight to output. How about the rest of the Megaswitch positions with blower then?

12. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Sorry, my brain is giving out. Position 4 is the series connection. I edited the original post.

1, 2, 3, & 5 will give you the Bridge straight to the output. Position 4 will give you both pups in series straight to the output.

13. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Okay, I'll try that wiring and let you know what happens.

14. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    That wiring's obviously wrong. When the blower switch is not used there's only a buzzing noise and when the blower is turned on the guitar's sound is way too sharp and buzzy...

15. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Run a ground wire to Pin K. I've updated the drawing.

16. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    I ran that ground wire and now it works the
    same way it did with the first diagram. The sound is still muddy.

This is really frustrating. I'm beginning to believe that the Megaswitch isnt't working properly, or what could it be?

17. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    If you wire the neck pup directly to the output, does it sound normal?

Do you have an ohmmeter? You can check the switch pin by pin to make sure that it switches the way their documentation says it does.

Can you post some pictures of the wiring?

18. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    My next idea would be to hookup a single pup to the volume & tone to make sure there's nothing weird there.

This kind of setup:

[​IMG]

19. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    I tried the Esquire style wiring with no results.

Then I noticed that I still had a cable between the volume pot 2nd lug and the tone pot 3rd lug. I also had the cable from the blower switch pin 4 go in the 2nd lug of the volume pot instead of the 3rd. I fixed these and then there was a weak sound (sounded relatively clean playing with hi-gain channel, also a volume drop occured).

I then wired a cable to the 2nd lug of the volume pot (I left the other end loose) and when I squeezed or pulled that cable, I got a sound out of it. It wasn't as muddy as before but still not as bright as it's supposed to be. Then I replaced that particular wire (thinking it had been broken and squeezing it recreated the contact) but I got similar results.

I'm kinda baffled here...

20. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Hi , those telecaster pickup are tricky since they both have shields , when doing almost any mod you have to run a wire direct from the shield to ground , chose either pickups depending on the Mod , also fender usually puts 2 pickup wound the same way in there guitar , unless custom shop pickups are used ... this makes it less useful when modding , that must be the reason for some people that promote that the 4way are useless , they just could not figure it out .

Btw , i bought a SD bridge and found that it is reverse wound to the standard tele pickup , perfect for all modding for about 50 bucks .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.