Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5 way switch with "cocked wah"?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GhostRider, Jan 5, 2009.

1. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2009
    West Kentucky
    Would series/parallel even be useful since I an running Duncan Vintage Stacks in both positions?

2. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Mr. Shred, can you get the Schaller Megaswitch M? I would probably have to rework the drawing a little for that switch. I'll look at it later today.

3. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Megaswitch M does indeed have 2 of the common terminals in different places. Let me know if you want to use that switch & I'll rework the drawing.

4. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    My current favorite setup for 2 pickup guitars is what I'm calling 5-Way SHOoP switching.

The 2 "added" postions are both pickups in series & both pickups in parallel Half Out of Phase (HOoP).

I just put this in a 2 humbucker guitar (along with my TBX tone mod & a phase reversal switch for the Neck pup) and I can't believe how good it is. I've only had a couple of nights to play with it, but the versatility is amazing. I don't think it's so crazy that you get lost switching it, but the possibilities are fantastic, IMHO.

Here's a drawing of what I did:

[​IMG]

5. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    With the phase reversal switch, I can then get:

1. Bridge
    2. Both pickups in parallel, IN phase, but with a cap in series with the Neck pup (brightens up the Neck)
    3. Both pickups in parallel, but out of phase (Ted Greene type tone)
    4. Both pickups in series, but out of phase (Brian May type tone)
    5. Neck

The modded TBX is a huge part of what makes this setup great with humbuckers. It's great at thinning out the fatness of the humbuckers and making them sound a lot like single coils. The range of tones is amazing me. I can't remember the last time I got so excited about a mod. :)

The discussion of the TBX mod is here:
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/tele-technical/279074-tbx-tone-control.html#post3407827

6. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Oh, if anyone wants to try this setup with SD pickups, I'll have to change the colors of the pups to match.

7. mkster

mkster Tele-Afflicted

Sep 25, 2010
    Montreal Quebec
    Finland ? FL stands for Florida , i am not American but i think that is more likely .

Its available at acme guitar works .

Mark

I bought dimarzio hardware 2 or 3 times , you pay double the price of fender same part , for inferior quality that end up in the trash ...

8. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Yes, Phostenix, I can get the Schaller Megaswitch M and a drawing for that would be much appreciated!

Here's just a little reminder of how I want the switch to work:

1) Bridge
    2) Bridge w/Cocked wah sound using the same components as in the Deaf Eddie's Cocked wah switch (but without the switch, obviously)
    3) Bridge & neck in parallel
    4) Bridge & neck in series
    5) Neck

9. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    I'll try to do that tonight.

10. jefrs

jefrs Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 20, 2007
    Newbury, England
    This -->[​IMG]

This provides a true wah notch filter at 10 and becomes a conventional TBX at <9
    The inductor is from an Epi Varitone circuit. The values of C2 and R2 are found experimentally according to how much wah you want set. This one is quite subtle, but you can rock it on and off like a pedal.

The selector is a 4-way and it all, coil, TBX and all just squeezes into a standard AmSer07 cavity without recourse to chisels.

Attached Files:

11. JBOWLES

JBOWLES Tele-Meister

Dec 1, 2009
    West Kentucky
    Thanks for the diagram. I'm going to start a new build in the next few days I think. I'll be planning on doing something like this to it. Gotta finish my stacked p90 tele first though. I'm only doing a global phase on it so I'll have an easy wiring job then I'll drop this in the next. Btw my tele now has the Duncan Vintage Stacks, TBX, and a no bleed on the volume pot is all. Pretty straight forward too compared to these diagrams. Thanks again for the advice!

12. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Schaller Megaswitch M is a little strange to work with on paper. One side of the contacts tracks in the same direction as the lever, the other side goes the opposite way.

Here's the drawing:

[​IMG]

13. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    This thing is a blast. I'm finding all kinds of useful tones out of it.

14. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Thanks Phostenix, you've been most helpful. Your drawings are much appreciated and greatly respected!

15. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Hey Phostenix!

I got my Megaswitch today and I've started installing it but I need you to clarify something to me. To what lug does the bridge pickup's yellow cable go? I'm getting all confused with these yellow lines here!

Am I reading your diagram right?:
    The bridge pickup yellow goes to lug O and there's a jumper cable from lug Q to lug B.

16. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, it goes to O, Q, & B. It doesn't matter which order, as long as all 3 are connected to the Bridge Hot.

In my diagrams, if a wire goes into a connector, it's connected there. I don't have wires pass over connectors without connecting.

Some people put little solder blobs on every connection to clarify, but I don't like the look of that. :) I'm an artist now!!

17. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    Okay, I've encountered some problems. My bridge pickup sounds wrong, the sound is kinda muffled. In position 2 (cocked wah) there's no sound at all. Positions 4 & 5 sound the same, I think only the neck pickup is connected in those positions (+ it sounds muffled too). The blower switch works fine, with it engaged the bridge pickup sounds just like it's supposed to. The out-of-phase seems to work in position 3, but the sound is muffled all the same. How am I supposed to connect the neck pickup's black wire in this new setup and does it matter which way the resistor and the capacitors are connected?

Here's how it worked with the 3-way:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011

18. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    Your photo isn't showing up. Are you putting it in your public folder?

19. Phostenix

Phostenix Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2010
    Phoenix, AZ
    The Neck Black goes to pin F on the Megaswitch.

The resistor & caps can go either way.

20. Mr. Shred

Mr. Shred TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2011
    Oulu, Finland
    How about now, can you see it?

I wired a jumper cable from the out of phase ground (down right) to pin F. The separate switches work fine but the same problems still remain.

Have you got any idea why position 2 is completely dead and the other positions sound muffled. There's obviously something wrong with the Megaswitch's wiring, because when the blower switch bypasses it the bridge pickup sounds normal.

Any suggestions about what I should check or wire again?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.