Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5 way Oak Grigsby switch wiring

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by kreg, Jan 10, 2014.

1. kreg

kreg TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Hi,

I'm thinking about wiring my tele with a 5 way Oak Grigsby switch, to keep the vintage sound, and add the modern ones, to obtain something like this :

1: bridge
    2: bridge & neck in series (fatter tone than parallel and more output)
    3: bridge & neck in parallel (classic middle position in 3 way switch modern wiring)
    4: neck
    5 neck - No tone (position 3 in vintage wiring. The sound is darker and the output level is lower. I read somewhere it was used for bass lines before they were electrified. Very particular but I love this sound)

I draw a schematic (thank the pictures from Acme Guitar Works and Seymour Duncan), but I'm not sure it works.

Please, could you check and let us know if it works?

Thanks

kreg

Attached Files:

2. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Looks like it works except the tone control is not disabled in position five

3. kreg

kreg TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Thanks Waparker!

I agree with you, in position 5 the tone is not physically disabled.
    Actually, I tried to follow this wiring diagram to draw mine :

http://support.fender.com/service_diagrams/telecaster/010-6200A_SISD.pdf

This is my current wiring, and the position 3 is exactly that I tried to reproduce in my schematic, in the 5th position.

If I understood the Fender diagram, in position 3, the neck PU is linked to :
    - the 1st lug of the volume pot
    - and in parallel, the 0.1µF capa (itself linked to the ground).

The tone pot appears not physically disabled, but it does not work in this position.

Do I miss something?

4. kreg

kreg TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Hi!

Just to tell that I tried this wiring, and it works, even the position 5.

Actually, there is a very little variation of the tone when I turn the tone pot.
    It is because I wired the tone input lug to the vol output lug like the 50's Les Paul wiring, instead of volume input. I tried classic tone wiring to check.

kreg

5. Davo17

Davo17 Friend of Leo's

I really like 50's wiring on the tele.

BTW, you could use a no-load tone control (or make your own) and it can bypass the tone in any position, I like that for series tones.

6. kreg

kreg TDPRI Member

Jan 10, 2014
    France
    Thanks for this idea. Actually, I my dark sound come backwhen I roll off the tone pot.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.