Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5 watt tube amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by tomas83, Nov 3, 2015.

1. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I haven't played a EC VC but I agree with you about the value and the amp being hand wired makes a big deal plus the warranty. For me personally though it's too much money and I'm not sure how that thing sounds although I'm guessing that it does sound real good.

2. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I'm sorry I'm lost. I can't remember which amp was I referring to.

3. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I tried a 15w VHT (can't remember the name of it) and if the Special 6 is anything close to that I don't think I'd like it.

4. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I tried the Monoprice and I quite liked it. You say it's the Laney CUB well good, I think that answers the question whether I'd like the CUB too :cool:

5. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks. The GVT's are having a lot of good rep and I'll be glad to try one out when one will cross my way.

6. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks that sounds interesting I like the 6V6 a lot.

7. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks, I had to chance to play those a few times and they certainly aren't bad, just personally they didn't persuade me to buy them.

8. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    how about 9 watts, no versatility whatsoever but a
    blooze machine?

I see these on CL all the time at $200
    I have the Vaporizer from this series and its my number1 amp
    Ive played the Excelsior and it was just OK
    I really want one of these now.

out of the ones mentioned Id get the Ampeg gvt15
    the guitarist for Bonnie Raitt plays them

or better yet the vox ac10 is my gas amp.

9. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks, luckily for me I tried both the Ramparte and the Vaporizer too. I liked the Vaporizer more than Ramparte, but not enough. I'd like to try the Ampeg :)

10. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Aug 19, 2013
    East islip ny
    Get a 10 watt amp, i just got a 10 watt tube amp for home use the volume is fine
    If i really crank it it gets loud, i keep the volume on the amp at 6 and i use
    My volume knob on the guitar and keep it low, sounds nice not to loud

Its a laney cub 10 i got it from american musical for 237 they knocked
    12 bucks off for me

11. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    Switzerland
    They're nice! Add an eminence 1058 and a pair of jj 6v6s and it's perfect!

12. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I was curious about the CUB in general. I played a 50w Laney back in a day and it was great from what I can remember. I'd like to try the CUB first though.

13. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Only from sound samples my speaker of the choice is got to be 'Lil Buddy from Eminence :p

14. keithcc

keithcc Tele-Meister

Oct 20, 2009
    Tulsa
    Any of the simple one-6V6 single ended five watt amps works fine for home use if you put a pad attenuator between the output and the speaker. That way the amp can run hard and the acoustic volume will drop. You just need some resistors mounted on a little piece of whatever.

15. 63randall

63randall TDPRI Member

Dec 13, 2014
    Canton, GA
    Anyone seen used EC VC's?

I've looked all over, online, can't find any. It's like they disappeared on the used market. Probably because they sound great. I had one, returned it to Sweetwater for a CDR because I thought it was what I wanted. Aargh - I miss it hourly. Kicking myself with giant angry kicks. Anyone seen one for sale?

16. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I decided to go with a custom USA built amp for about $300 that has a master volume and a footswitchable OD channel. Point to point wiring, all tube including rectifier. Can't go wrong with that. The name is D-Lab. :idea:

17. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

I think I've seen one here locally. Lucci Music in Colorado Springs had one couple weeks ago. I'm sure they'll ship it to you, give them a call.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.