Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5 watt tube amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by tomas83, Nov 3, 2015.

1. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    Yes, VC = VibroChamp. I'm lazy with my typing, since it is so bad!:lol:

I was an acoustic player who had to scratch his "Joe Walsh itch". I bought many vintage & boutique amps, pedals, and guitars, foolishly thinking that would coerce me to take lessons and get better. The list would astound some. Talk about GAS.

The C600 and the VC were sufficient really. So I have sold off all but my Dano Tele and the Muchxs Vibro Champ. I currently still have the C600 and 65 BFVC, but one of those is likely to be sold. I play primarily acoustic again, with a bit of electric noodling, which is the full-circle I refer to.

2. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Oh no, that's alright. I just wasn't sure if I'm getting those abbreviations right. I started with a Spanish nylon strings guitar and than later moved onto the electric world so I think I understand. And because of what you just wrote is why I also believe that simpler is better in most cases.

3. JonnyM

JonnyM Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2008
    Modesto, CA
    SF Champ is the definitive small tube amp

SF Champ. A little over budget, but worth the extra dollars. VC even better, just a touch harder to find. That fender clean for days. Dirty it up with pedals to taste.

I can get just about anything I want out of it (really them, I have two Champs and a VC with a 10"). Stereo out of a chorus pedal using the two champs is a heaven tone to be experienced. Hey, there is the way to get your two speaker sound! Just save your money. Still hundreds of good Champs out there. I accumulated my three over just a few months some years back. They are not hard to find, still... Good hunting!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015

4. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks JonnyM that's what I decided to go with in the end is a custom Champlike head from D-Lab. It will be just slightly over budget and will have a master volume and a footswitch so it will cover everything I need in a amp.

5. cocoboudin

cocoboudin Tele-Holic

Oct 4, 2010
    canada
    I do have the Chicken Head little juke(Joyo) and i like it very much. It's a 5 watts amp whit 2 inputs 1 vol and a 4 and 8 ohms speaker Jack. Very simple but to my humble opinion a perfect tone amp. Works great whit pedals but for my taste that amp doesn't need a distorsion or drive pedal. It's also portable and perfect for studio or recording, it's even really good mic

6. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks cocoboudin, I'll have to check it I haven't heard of those yet.

7. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    I totally get that these are expensive same with the Fender EC Vibrochamp that was mentioned earlier but these are both specialized pieces of equipment. What I mean by that is they are tailored for a very specific user for a very specific sound and I have a feeling most of the people that are willing to buy them brand new at full price know exactly what they want are are getting its delivered in spades.

Used these are $600-700 same as the EC vibrochamp and honestly I think they are worth every penny. Yes its a lot for a small amp but the ability to get the sounds these amps make for under $700 and have the ability to attenuate down to one watt is unbelievably valuable. The EC VC even more so as its hand wired USA made amp with all the tone of a vintage 5f1 champ + Trem + built in attenuator and a transferable warranty for under $700 used! You cannot beat that even with Kit 5f1's.

These attenuated class A while scoffed at by many as over priced or silly are true bedroom amps at their finest. I think we can all agree that 5 watts with modern speakers can pump out some pretty decent volume, being able to drive a power amp section at full tilt with 1 watt is so incredibly convenient I cannot emphasize enough how useful this feature is in both amps. Most people unless they own a home cannot drive 5 watts without risking complaints.

8. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Poster Extraordinaire

I'm thinking about one of these - what didn't you like about it?

9. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

The OP said his budget was $200....

10. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Tele-Holic

Jan 25, 2015
    Hayward, WI
    Has the OP looked at the VHT Special 6 combo? Handwired goodness in a 1x10 combo for $230.00.

11. irie

irie Tele-Holic

Jul 15, 2014
    Orange County, CA
    I know just find it interesting people finding fender and marshall's limited edition and speciality amps being overpriced when the boutique clones are even more expensive and in this case with less features.

12. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    $200? 5w tube amp?

Ibanez TSA-5!

13. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2013
    Michigan
    My TSA-5 certainly won't survive on a stage, but it does get loud enough to rattle the windowsills of the room I'm in. It's got enough of a punch to give you that satisfying rumbly in the sub-cockles of your heart.

And then, you flip the Tube Screamer switch and your house explodes.

14. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Check out the Monoprice 15W. It's listed at just over $200 but they regularly have coupons that will bring it in under $200. It is basically a Laney Cub12R with tube reverb and trem instead of digital. It has a celestion speaker. Master volume. 15W and 1W inputs. speaker outputs. Effects loop. And what's better... It sounds great for such an inexpensive amp. Oh, and it's only 25 lbs to boot. It's hard to get a better amp for the price, particularly if you want to be able to play at bedroom levels but hang in with a band, if needed.

15. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    The Monoprice 15 Watt Tube Guitar Amp is a relabeled/dressed Laney CUB12R. It has a True Spring Reverb, it's not tube driven though. It doesn't have Tremolo. Still an excellent amp for even the normal retail price of $226 +S&H.

16. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

I played a Little Giant thru two Mesa Transatlantic 1X12 bottoms. It was a great setup. These amps are very well made. Sturdy chassis and robust transformers. Depending how I set the tone stack it cold do Vox and have enough bottom end to sound like a small Hiwatt. Really great little amps.

17. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    I'll give another plug for the Ampeg GVT5. Great little amp. It does have a switch to drop from 5 watts to 2.5. The 2.5 is not quite as loud, crunches sooner and is a bit darker to my ear. You see them pop up in nice condition in the $200-300 range from time to time. It may still be too loud. So if you get the combo, you may want to save up and buy an inefficient speaker to swap in at some point. Happy hunting.

FWIW I use the GVT15 combo live and think it's great. At home, between my Princeton Reverb II and the GVT5, honestly I'm most likely to plug into the Ampeg. Part of that is because it is quieter, but it's also so much FUN to play.

18. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    Right on both counts. Thanks for the correction. :oops:

19. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Oct 3, 2010
    Switzerland
    If going the Laney route, I found the cub10 (6V6) to be really musical.

20. knopflerfan

knopflerfan Tele-Afflicted

Mar 18, 2012
    In the woods
    My little Bugera V5 is a great amp for just under $200.00.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.