Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5 watt tube amps?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by tomas83, Nov 3, 2015.

1. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

The red knob era Champ? I'll check them out thanks.

2. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Goonie, you totally got me there. For a moment I thought it's gonna be some solid state Marshall and then I clicked on the video and when the guy got to the clean channel max for that breakup I was like "!this is what I want!!" I have a feeling that it's gonna be more cash than in willing to spend though. Also the Andertons demo was really really good too, they used a Strat beside the LP and also Chapman Tele with Seymour Duncan's in it. That is a beast of an amp Mr. Slash. It sounded so good man! Thanks.

I checked the price and everything and I'm disappointed. I like Asian made guitars and amps. This one would cost me at least $700 and seeing some guts shots off it, it seems like it's way overpriced. And the Vintage 30 in it is made in China too.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015

3. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

Jul 6, 2010
    Very Deep South

4. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Yeah maybe we aren't :)

5. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

6. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

Jul 8, 2012
    granby, ct
    Yikes... $1,000!!!

7. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 29, 2008
    Eugowra, Australia

8. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Yep...but I have to give them that it sounded really great. The clean tone on full volume was just wow!
    Anybody know a alternative that costs about $800 less?

9. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

This maybe uncouth of me but why a tube amp, if it's going to be 99% bedroom playing?

10. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    Not an unreasonable question at all. "Bedroom" volume levels, with most modern speakers, means about 1/2 watt of power. Most clean amps have no problem sounding good at that low of an output (even Twin Reverbs), but if you're thinking that a five watt amp will allow you to push the power section and still maintain "bedroom levels", you're going to be in for quite a surprise. Five watts will rattle the windows and wake up everybody in the house.

11. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

No Chritty, not uncouth at all. In my almost 20 years of playing I never had a all tube amp. My first amp was somebody's dyi solid state project with some old stereo system speakers. Than I upgraded to a Crate, 3 channel, 2x12 solid state amp that one sounded pretty good. After that I only plugged my guitar into a line5 toneportux. After that I got a Peavey Express 112 for band rehearsals. Than I had a Crate Powerblock with a 4x12 Celestion G12-L35's. That became too big after I wasn't in the band anymore. It certainly wasn't too loud, just too big size wise (the cab, not the amp). My last amp was a Peavey Classic VTX. So now, playing occasionally at GC and small music shops I'm realizing I really like the small amps and as many other realized that I've had amps that were way too loud for my needs. I'm after the tube break up sound at very low volumes 1/2 to maybe 1, or 2 watts with a 2x10 can just because I love the sound of those cabinets. If the best option would be a Champ 600 I don't mind pulling it out of its cabinet and house it into some different box (if that's a good idea at all). The Powerblock was dialed in for the tube breakup sound and it didn't sound horrible, but it being solid state it didn't have much touch sensitivity and warmth.

12. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Yes I noticed how loud those small amps are plus I think the tube amps are louder or they seem to be than same wattage solid state.

13. MDMachiavelli

MDMachiavelli Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

If you don't mind saying how much was it?

14. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    With all the small, budget tube amps I have (<10 watts), the issues I usually see with the mass produced ones is the cheap parts used. Things like cheap speakers, cheap tubes, MDF cabs and cheap transformers (most notably the output transformers). The Champion 600 is a prime example of this. It uses a time proven circuit, on a PCB (electrons don't know the difference from a PCB or hand wired!) of the AA746, BF/SF Champ, but with a fixed tone stack. With the C600, Fender did all these budget cuts to build it. You can start with it and build it to what you like the most.

I have one complete C600 and the PCB from another. The complete one was modded with JAN/NOS tubes, a new OT (stock was burnt out), and a Weber Signature Alnico 8S on a ¼" Birch ply baffle. I replaced the tone stack with a .022µF Orange Drop and removed the V1B cathode bypass cap. I left the V1A bypass cap to retain some bite. It's still sightly boxy sounding, as it's still in the small MDF cab, but if pushed, I can get some good Funk 49 squawk. I'll be building a slightly bigger Pine cab and Tweeding it out. I also have a 2 X 10" cab with Alnico 10" speakers, which sounds wonderful. It really sound much bigger and richer than the tiny cab and retains much of the tweed's characteristics.

The PCB was built into a complete BF/SF champ with a 6L6GC output, Treble and Bass controls, NFB bypass, with appropriate PT and OT and a Weber Sig A-12S speaker. I also built a matching 1 X 12" cab with a '70's Vintage Oxford ceramic speaker. This amp sounds incredible with Fender cleans and goes into some serious breakup.The cleans are more than enough for bedroom playing and the dirty tones could go into small gig levels.

If you're a DIYer and you like the Fender BF/SF tones, you may like the champion 600, especially with some work. Good thing, you don't have to do the work all at once (unless you want to) and spread the cost and labor out over time.

15. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2015
    Orange County
    Hi Tomas,
    I don't think you can get crunch at 1/2 to 1 watt without a master volume, especially out of a 2x10 cab. Any of the Class A 5 watt amps are going to be clean at that power output.

Thus my earlier and others suggestion for a modeling or SS type amp. I have a Yamaha THR 10C that is pretty much the perfect home/bedroom amp IMHO. I don't have bat ears but everyone that hears it raves about the sound.

Good luck with your search.
    John

16. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Thanks a lot. I was thinking about modifying or better said letting somebody modify a Champ 600. I really dig the sound of this gentleman's mod...

How much did you invest in all the parts for your mod?

17. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

Hey John, thanks. I'll seriously consider all the options before decision and I'll try the THR again. I liked it the first time I played it, but it couldn't really replicate some of the squeals and artificial harmonics that I was trying to make so we'll see.

18. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Meister

Dec 14, 2009
    Latrobe PA
    I have a C600, changed out the tubes for better (EH, TungSol). It is a decent enough amp for practice.
    Funny, I used to own a 73 SFVC and the C600 and decided to buy a used 12" cab and plugged each of the amps into it. It's amazing how much better the C600 sounds in a larger cab! If you did nothing besides what I mention, you'd probably be thrilled.

And the VC was the best of the 4 I have owned since (including my current 1965 BFVC). I should have stopped there on my home-amp journey, but no. I had to delve into the never-ending GAS of Dr Z, Redplate, various vintage Fenders. I'm back to the BFVC and a Muchxs-built custom VC, and have come full-circle.

19. tomas83

tomas83 Tele-Holic

That's so interesting how we sometimes go back on the way towards better right? By VC you mean a Vibro Champ? And what do you mean by full-circle? Sorry :)

20. Mantaray14

Mantaray14 TDPRI Member

Sep 18, 2015
    New York
    I have a 66' BFVC and a 57' Gibson GA5. Both fantastic 5W amps. I also have a 20W Master Volume Brunetti, but when it's real late...the 5 watters are quieter and more fun to play. And very often I do play late when everyone goes to bed. A 5W amp gives up a great clean tone at whisper volumes with great touch sensitivity. Sounds great with pedals too, where the 20W needs to be loud before the dirt or fuzz sounds right IME.

Both amps required some work to get them up to snuff. The GA5 has the original speaker. But the VC is my goto amp. It gives up fender cleans at whisper volumes and sounds great with pedals. The GA5 does the tweed thing and gives a very transparent tone. If the guitar sounds good through the GA5...it is good guitar!

I know it doesn't help you in looking in the $200 range. You may have to save and try to find a quality amp or one you can upgrade later. The quality of the parts and the iron make a big diff IME...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.