Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5 lb 13 oz Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by hdvades, Nov 22, 2017.

1. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I was wondering the same thing...roasting would remove moisture etc but not that much. I wonder if it's a typo error too.

Anode100 likes this.

2. jayvan

jayvan TDPRI Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Vancouver
    tintag27 likes this.

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Come back home, Metric System, all is forgiven!

4. jayvan

jayvan TDPRI Member

Jun 26, 2017
    Vancouver
    wait... 100 ounces to a pound, right? Right?

telemnemonics likes this.

5. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2008
    mqt.
    I havent read the entire thread but...

I have a guitar fetish paulowania tele body with a skinny little cvc neck...esquired with a cheap flimsy plastic pickguard, vint. bridge and a single vol. knob and its 5.5 lbs.

Thats one light piece of ash.

This particular esquire is almost "too" light to play comfortably. I can change playing position very fast with little too no effort.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2017

6. unccivil

unccivil Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Roasted ash is very, very light. I wouldn’t be surprised if the body is close to 3 lbs.

7. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Wow, I wouldn't have guessed that, but I did a search of Warmoth solid roasted ash bodies and some of them are under 3 lb. Crazy light, looks like roasting removes maybe a pound of water weight from a guitar body

8. LowThudd

LowThudd Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2014
    Sherman Oaks, Ca
    Probably not just water but other organic volatiles as well.

9. YoGeorge

YoGeorge Tele-Holic

Mar 16, 2003
    Michigan
    I've seen a number of Brad Paisley teles listed under 6 lbs, but they are Pauwlonia with spruce caps.

I can see the possibility of an ash body under 3 lbs...makes me want to buy this particular guitar. But errors and misprints have been in existence for as long as written or printed data has been in existence. Might be worth calling Sweetwater and having them re-weigh the guitar prior to buying it to rule out errors. :)

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    The search I did of the warmoth site today showed 32 roasted solid ash bodies and the lightest was 3lbs 4oz, none were under 3lbs.
    The lightest non roasted swamp ash bodies I've seen were around 3lbs 8 oz.
    I have trouble imagining roasting taking 3/4 of a pound off an ash Tele body!
    The Fender listed at 5lbs 13oz is about 3/4lb lighter than the typical lightest swamp ash body weight, so it just seems very unlikely there is not a mistake in the listing.

Are you certain you did not see a chambered body at under 3lbs in amongst the solid roasted ashes?

Another poster suggested the Fender the OP linked must be chambered, but the one edge view pic appears to show a solid body.
    Mysterious!

11. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 11, 2005
    Seattle
    I have one of those, and yes, it's crazy light. I believe mine is also 5lb 13oz. I picked the lightest one they had available at the time, and it's Thinline light when you pick it up.

hdvades likes this.

12. BopT

BopT Tele-Afflicted

Feb 6, 2011
    Chicago
    I had a Black and Gold tele and the postal scale at work went all the way to 11 pounds even! Great guitar just too much of it! A sub six lb sounds awesome!

13. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

May 9, 2014
    Behind my beard.
    I'm working on a Paulownia build at the minute - it's incredibly light.

I'm hoping it doesn't end up with neck-dive.

14. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    it's no longer available. :)

15. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Meister

Mar 6, 2016
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Wow. Someone got a nice guitar. Good for them.

16. Hiker

Hiker Friend of Leo's

Jul 20, 2008
    Alabama
    8 lbs. 15 oz. It's my #1, and a stock, MIM Std. Tele - tone machine!

qblue likes this.

17. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    Saw it this morning and pulled the trigger (before I saw this thread). I'm surprised it stayed in their inventory long enough for me to get it (I'm sure someone is kicking their tail for lollygagging). I should have it Tuesday or Wednesday. If Sweetwater emails some pics to me, I'll post them. The only one SW has in stock now is that demo with ugly grain.

Doug 54 and hdvades like this.

18. heffus

heffus Tele-Meister

Apr 20, 2014
    cHICAGO
    Zzounds has a bunch in stock. The also list weights and have pictures.

19. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    2000 bucks, they could at least make an effort to match the grain. Some of those are pretty cheap looking to me. Would love to own one with decent grain but $2000 is crazy. Might wait for a used one or build one.

Doug 54 likes this.

20. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2017
    Texas
    Inflation is what inflation is. Honestly how could build one with the same specs any cheaper (not everyone is handy, or has the expertise). Warmoth body and neck, $800... MJT finishing, $675, Callaham tele parts $400, good lothier for a nut, assembly and setup $400 and up, various shipping charges. As long as Fender keeps raising prices I'll come out ahead in the long run. Heck, I've bought and sold Fender Custom Shop Nocasters for less. My best sounding Telecaster was 8 pounds 13 ounces. The best sounding Telecasters I have ever played were all sub 6. If the one I get is a dud, reread my reply. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.