Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

5 Essential Neil Young records. Your picks are?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Geoff738, Feb 24, 2016.

1. dmitri

dmitri Tele-Meister

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

After The Gold Rush

Live Rust

Harvest

Harvest Moon

2. TelePhartz

TelePhartz Friend of Leo's

Jan 11, 2014
    a mile high in AZ
    Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha,
    Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha, Ho, ho, ho, ha, ha, ha.

Redefining humor.

3. Tootle

Tootle Tele-Meister

Feb 16, 2015
    Pacific Northwest USA
    if Crazy Horse is a garage band, CSN&Y was a barbershop quartet.

4. Saigonbob

Saigonbob TDPRI Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Saigon, Vietnam
    Is there a better record, pound for pound, better than "Ragged Glory"? By anybody? It's , it's, it's, it's just immense.

beyer160 likes this.

5. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Jun 12, 2003
    Glamorous NoHo
    I'm a "Trans" fan, too.

It's on my favorites list, along with "Rust Never Sleeps" and "Freedom."

I'll throw in the single "Wonderin'" (not crazy about the album that spawned it, "Everybody's Rockin'"):

6. eddie knuckles

eddie knuckles Tele-Afflicted

Mar 11, 2008
    Worcester, MA
    Zuma
    Live Rust
    Time Fades Away
    Prairie Wind
    Harvest

7. Blue

Blue Tele-Holic

Jun 15, 2008
    England
    Any album where Neil doesn't play lead electric guitar. Terrible lead guitarist.

8. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

In no particular order.

Zuma
    American Stars 'n' Bars
    Harvest
    On The Beach
    Harvest Moon

I like Live From Massey Hall a lot but most of the songs on it are on other records so I left if off.

9. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free + Supporter

I really like this thread, and Neil Young of course, but it's occurred to me that since the days of the phonograph record, where you could look at the spinning label to see what the title of the song playing was, songs have come disconnected from their titles. For me that's true anyway; I'm still primariy on CDs. I can't tell you the names of all my favorite Neil Young songs without leaving some out--just memories without any place to stay. . . .

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    1. After The Gold Rush
    2. Everybody Know This is Nowhere
    3. Harvest
    4. ATGR
    5. " "

11. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    (1) After the Goldrush
    (2) Live Rust
    (3) everything else...

12. beyer160

beyer160 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2010
    On Location
    Neil's actually one of my favorite guitarists of all time.

Vive la difference.

pondcaster likes this.

13. Jethro

Jethro Tele-Afflicted

Feb 7, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I was going to say the same thing but you bet me to it :)

14. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Dec 20, 2011
    Australia
    No.

Saigonbob likes this.

15. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Dec 20, 2011
    Australia
    Surprised to see Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere feature so strongly. Apart from two or three classics it is a patchy album -- but hey I'm a big fan of Old Ways so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.

My 5
    Ragged Glory
    Harvest Moon
    Rust Never Sleeps
    Sleeps With Angels
    Harvest

16. insanitizer

insanitizer Former Member

Mar 14, 2016
    Eau Claire, WI
    Neil is my guy. He is why I play guitar. So my top 5 would be something like this:
    1) Rust Never Sleeps
    2) After The Gold Rush
    3) Comes A Time
    4) Harvest Moon
    5) Le Noise

I am surprised nobody mentioned "Le Noise". The title is a play on the producer Daniel Lanois' name. Neil is very candid about his life on this album and he still has the ability to pull on the heart strings after all these years. Big time. I started listening to Neil at 14 now I'm 41 and he is still my dude!

17. urizen

urizen Tele-Afflicted

Nov 24, 2006
    SoCal
    The first solo album (w/ the slightly "psychedelic" portrait of him on the cover---The Old Laughing Lady, Last Train to....etc), Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere, After The Gold Rush, Harvest, On the Beach (plus Tonight's the Night, American Stars and Bars...to me,things get problematically uneven after those... not to say there's never something worthwhile on almost all his albums)...my fave is still On the Beach though, and I remember wearing out three vinyl copies 'til he finally allowed the re-release....just a deep, deep timeless album with a lot of resonance for me----and now as I say it, in my head I'm hearing "I never knew a man could tell so many lies, had a different story for every set of eyes, how can he remember who he's talkin' to, 'cause I know it ain't me, and I hope it isn't you...." (from Ambulance Blues, one of the greatest songs:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016

18. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

The guy's output is way too huge, to pick just 5 albums.

I really enjoy all of them, except Re-ac-tor and Trans. Special mention for two of the soundtrack albums - the double LP (Journey through the Past) with the extended version of "Words" on it (and "Soldier") and the Dead Man soundtrack of 1996.

There's also a Box Set on the Buffalo Springfield with 4 discs, from ATCO that's good except you also need a copy of "Last Time Around" since Neil's been a bugger as regards that release (Messina, Furay and Martin had to finish the record without him, and he doesn't acknowledge it).

As much as I love Warren Haynes' other work and some of the others who have covered Neil's compositions, if Neil recorded it before you did, you can forget me showing much interest in your cover. In my mind there's few things more fruitless than trying to cover Neil. Better IMHO to try to "channel" Neil on compositions of your own (the way Israel Nash does so well). I often break into playing Neil's songs off by myself but being able to play 'em doesn't get the rest of us anything more than a cup of coffee - there's just no money there IMO.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2016

19. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2013
    NW USA
    My sister is 7 years older than me and worshiped Neil Young during the '70s. I know most of his early stuff quite well, but really have zero knowledge of his recordings after Trans & Reactor. My top five would be in this order:

-On the Beach: My sister listened to this constantly, and it was my favorite when I was 8 in 74. I still love listening to it 40 years later
    -Tonight's the Night: Almost as great as On the Beach though most people like this one better. The Hits & Misses order sequenced by David Briggs is better than what was released. Kind of an art project really. Neil refused the first couple of covers because the paper didn't feel right.
    -Everybody Knows this is Nowhere: This is the first record where Neil found his true voice. An absolute classic.
    -Rust Never Sleeps: For whatever reason I love the really rough quality of the recording and performances. Definitely a classic to me
    -After the Gold Rush: A great record that was recorded in Neil's basement because he hated being in the studio. Personally I like this one better than Harvest(which is more consequential)

I would also mention

-Zuma: It's a great listen just for Cortez the Killer alone.
    -Time Fades Away: In some ways I like this better than Rust Never Sleeps, but it's an acquired taste. Neil really didn't want to be on tour and it shows. A great example of audio verite made on some strange all in one 16 track recording device made by Quad Eight known as the Compumix. It was mixed straight from the board to the cutting head mix. Probably his poorest selling record that was loathed when it was released. People think about it differently now.
    -Hawks & Doves: Comes a Time is a better executed record but I like this one and American Stars & Bars better. All three have scraps from the Homegrown record that Reprise so desperately wanted to be the followup for Harvest. In his infinite wisdom, Neil canned the idea and released Tonight's the Night instead. Much to the company's dismay.
    -Harvest: Neil's universal classic. I've heard too many times to enjoy it anymore(it was my sister's favorite). A real can't miss record for sure and worthy of its status.
    -Any track from Buffalo Springfield Again that was written by Neil. Expecting to Fly, Broken Arrow & Mr Soul are some of his greatest songs. It presaged the first solo album, but Neil doesn't seem to like the overproduced aesthetic which is understandable. For me Expecting to Fly & Broken Arrow are cooler than anything the Beatles did on Sgt Pepper's. Then again I like Their Satanic Majesties Request better than Sgt Pepper's so my opinion is certainly offbase.
    -Neil Young(the first solo LP): Buffalo Springfield Again continued without anyone from Buffalo Springfield to bother him. Neil hates this record, but it's worth the price of admission for The Loner

pondcaster likes this.

20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I love this album, too, but which Neil Young Voice did he find? There's such a startling variety of New Young Voices in a number of the subsequent albums, from Comes A Time to Arc/Weld. All different.

I laugh that Neil doesn't like his first solo album, "Neil Young". I think it is gorgeous. What I suggest is, Neil should just keep following his destiny and keep cranking stuff out and let other people decide what's excellent and what isn't. Because, Neil is not about learning "what works for him" since as soon as something is working for him, he stops doing that and goes off doing something else. Which is righteous, and exactly what he should be doing.

+

Btw, I prefer Peppers to Satanic Majesties but I will say, I've listened to "Citadel" 4 times for every one time I've ever listened to any song from Sgt. Peppers. Yet, I've listened to "Expecting to Fly" 3 times for every one time I've listened to Citadel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.