Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

4way, SH with series middle and split neck

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Jonburst, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Jonburst

Jonburst TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2016
    South Africa
    Hey,
    Im putting a Dimarzio 36th Anni in the neck with a 4way switch. I have an SD Lil 59 in the bridge that I'll keep series humbucker, and have found wiring diagrams for:

bridge
    bridge+neck split (parallel)
    neck split
    neck hum

But I really like a series bridge+neck like I had on my 3way.

So looking for:

Bridge
    Bridge and Neck split (series)
    Neck split
    Neck hum

Split to screw coil preferably.

Spent ages trying to combine 4way versions with other combos and can't wrap my head around it.
    Is it doable?

How do you guys map this stuff out anyway? I've rewired switches and every time it's pretty frustrating.

I'm also gonna change to 500k vol pot to get some highs going (in the lil59 as well), have a no-load tone pot..

Thanks!

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Someone will be along with the 5-way super switch diagram to do what you are looking for.... but easiest is use your 3 or 4-way switch to select which pickup combos you want and a push/pull tone pot to split (both) pickups.

If you treat the options as having a 3 single coil Strat instead of SH you might find more wiring diagram options.
    Look up the Ibanez RG guitar diagrams (HH and SSH). Robbie Robertson's Strat (pickguard is S-SS with push/pull for series humbucker)

A stacked tone knob would give you the ability for a blender circuit like the Nashville Teles, Brent Mason guitars, or the Dan Armstrong Blender mod.

3. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Lubbock, TX
    Fwiw, two push/pulls set up for series/parallel switching and a 4way bets you everything you want and more....12 combinations and all are humbucking...with the parallel options giving those single coil sounds.

4. Jonburst

Jonburst TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2016
    South Africa
    Thanks guys!
    I'm hoping to keep it simple, not a big fan of more options and push/pull if I can avoid it, so might just do the parallel and see what it sounds like first.

5. Jonburst

Jonburst TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2016
    South Africa
    Am checking out those other wiring options though, see if anything fits, thanks!

6. Jonburst

Jonburst TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2016
    South Africa
    I think this would work?
    A lot of floating ends, though... IMG_20180805_180927.jpg

7. Jonburst

Jonburst TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2016
    South Africa
    Report back:
    It works very well, 4 very useable and different sounds.
    1) Bridge
    2) Bridge and Neck Split in Series (slug coil)
    3) Neck Partial Split (resistor instead of link between lug 2 and lug 3 of the opposing sides)
    4) Neck Humbucker

500k vol, no-load tone pot.

I tried a partial split on the 3rd position to see what happened, and like it a lot.
    I split to the slug coil cause I liked the idea of a neck position with more mids and less scoop/traditional tele sound,
    and then blended in the screw coil to add a bit of volume.

Ended up with a fairly high resistance, started with 1k, 2k, and ended up around 7k!
    Dunno why, maybe the slug coil being under the cover makes it softer than usual. I didn't try the ascrew coil split yet, more than happy for now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.