Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

4th of July Caster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Barncaster

Barncaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like its time to break out the acoustics Mark! I've got 5 fence posts down on my property. That storm also blew over two 100 lb planter pots on my patio. Sorry I was out of state for it, must have been fun. Compared to what goes on in Roger's back yard however, I think we're just fine!

Rob

2. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted Vendor Member

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    I am very lucky Rob. We posses the equipment and friendships to handle all this BS in stride and ourselves. But now there's a fire in the forest behind our ranch and we don't have our own fire truck. Helmut, can your brother send a fire truck Unimog over to borrow for a week or so? Hahaha. Getting the power restored right now.

image-3241180368.jpg

image-1782800774.jpg

image-1441898516.jpg

image-2065854330.jpg

3. Barncaster

Hey Mark,

There is a house for sale near me and it has at least 3 operable fire trucks in the yard. One is a pumper for sure. Do you want me to get you the number?

Rob

4. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Wow, I hope you find a fire truck soon. !!!

5. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Looks like you guys got hit hard!. 5 fence posts down - that can never happen to me. My property is so huge, there was only place for 4 posts!:cry:

6. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    I'll assemble the pickguard and swap it out on another stratish body. I cannot wait myself for the final assembly :!::!::!: Still some work to do with the push button switches and to draw up the schematic. I only want to wire it once.... all I hope is that the other body has the routing deep enough in that area.

Well that doesn't look good. Reminds me of Sandy last year - though we had snow while no electricity - that wasn't much fun. Hope it is over now and the folks out there are all safe.

7. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    All week I was thinking about how can I permanently secure 2 standard push button switches, without drilling additional holes in the pickguard or going for the original Fender S switches and gluing 2 plastic blocks on the pickguard. I came up with this:

[​IMG]

1.5mm PCB base plate cut to size with 2 pieces 20mm long distance posts and another piece of PCB – the back plate – to hold the switches. The 3mm screws are counter sunk so that the PCB can be put flush on the pick guard. The PCB is held by the volume pot and on the other side by the spring pressure of the 2 pickup mounting screws.

[​IMG]

The reason why I used PCB material is simply: a) Convenience, it is much easier to work with and b) I am soldering the switches housing right on the PCB material which would be quite some endeavor if I used 1.5 mm steel or brass for the back plate. Soldering these switches to 1.5mm steel back plate would be a recipe for cooking them to death. The thin copper layer on the PCB doesn’t need that much heat for soldering.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013

8. Barncaster

9. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Managed to solder the 2 switches to the base plate without cooking them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    That looks great man!!!! This pup combo and switching system is quite special. Obviously it's German engeneered! We are safe out here. The craziness has subsided thank goodness. I could not imagine going through something like Sandy. That must have sucked on a whole new level.

11. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Glad to see you guys are safe again.

Yes this is typical German OVER-engineering. :lol: This is the switch holder assembled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They for sure don’t get accidentally hit/switched like regular mini toggle switches. They keep a pretty low profile. I might actually raise them 0.5mm-1 mm, by shortening the spacer.

[​IMG]

And finally a shot from the top with the pickguard mounted, just to make sure everything still fits. I have to take the dremel out and need to make a little more room in the pickup cavity for the switch holder. Glad I checked before sending the body onto its well deserved California vacation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

12. Barncaster

Slowly I am starting to understand the plan here!

13. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Helmut what you did is genius.

14. clsatt

clsatt Tele-Afflicted

Mar 14, 2009
    virginia
    +1

15. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Lets see how it all work out. :cool:

Thanks, but oh come on, it is just a holder for 2 switches. The real genius is Rob building the pickups, which I will soon link to.

Here is a better shot of the switches, one is presses. Not sure about the color. I guess white will better match the volume knob an pickup cover.

Thoughts anyone?

[​IMG]

16. Mark Grant

Oct 27, 2012
    Northern California
    I vote BLUE! I've got a sweet blue laying around I'm sure…if not blue than WHITE!

Actually I changed my mind. Let's do one red and the other white to help them blend in rather than stand out.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

17. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Hmmm didn't think of blue at all. I think I like them standing out versus blending in. Good news is, I got a bag of 10 switches so there are quite some left over caps to play with the colors. :idea:

18. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Going a little back in time..

Here the concept behind the pickups and electronics.
    Strat mode:
    - Pickup #1
    - Pickup # 1 parallel with pickup # 3
    - Pickup # 3
    - Pickup # 3 parallel with pickup # 5
    - Pickup # 5
    - Pickup #2 is connected in series to #1. Pickup #2 is short circuited with one of the push button switches (pressed down)
    - Pickup #4 is connected in series to #5. Pickup #4 is short circuited with one of the push button switches (pressed down)

Then there is push/pull pot which will be used coil tap pickup #1 and pickup #3 for a more vintage sound in strat switch position 1, 2 and 3. Not sure if there is too much of a tonal difference of a tapped pickup #3 with an the untapped ceramics pickup #5. That needs to be tried out.

Kind of strat mode but with some extra oomph
    The push button switch is released and:
    - is making a noise cancelling humbucker out of Pickup # 1 in series with Pickup # 2
    - is making a noise cancelling humbucker out of Pickup # 4 in series with Pickup # 5

In this mode the strat switch positions 2 and 4 are no longer hum cancelling.

The other push button switch is for always turning on the neck pickups, kind of “Gilmour switch”.

Here what I mean with pickup #1,#2, #3 …. from the time when the body wasn't routed yet.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013

19. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Further up in the thread I mention that I did a quick and dirty hack job of wiring the initial pickups to see how the concept of 5 single coils really works out. I had a some disappointment when I realized that my “brand new - old stock” German custom Alnico 5 pickups #1, #2 #3 that were sold to me as hot & over wound sounded uneven. Even worse, compared to some nice sounding no-name ceramic pickups in #4 and #5 they sounded like wimps.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/5289928-post62.html

A closer look showed that the Alnico 5 magnets were pretty uneven charged and some of the magnets wouldn’t even attract a close by steel object. On one pickup the A string was virtually dead. Barncaster was so nice and recharged them with his neos.
    http://www.tdpri.com/forum/5308759-post72.html

After the Alnico 5s were recharged, the pups sounded nice and balanced but they still were no match to the ceramics that go into the neck. I came to the conclusion that these pickups were far from living up the German over engineering reputation, leave alone being over wound at around 5.8kOhm. I wasn’t willing to put such an embarrassment into the 4th of July Caster. At this point what was really needed was some severe “Entwicklungshilfe” for these German pickups AKA “foreign development aid” to get some pickups that one can be proud of. Since Barncaster could no longer see my pain, an R&D project was born….

It started out with measuring and documenting so that everything fits together. I went for a slight symmetric stagger with the main rationales:
    a) while probably not needed, it looks more sophisticated (I cannot hide the urge for German over engineering, it is in the DNA) and
    b) it is prettier than no stagger, and
    c) it matches the 2 front pickups, and
    d) having pickup #2 symmetrically staggered will let me allow to turn it around and use it as a regular middle pickup in any regular strat body. With a regular stagger the A and B string magnet height would be too different.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013

20. I_build_my_own

Mar 9, 2012
    New York
    Still back in time around mid October.
    Since the new R&D pickups had to replace they wimpy pups 1:1, I had to be concerned about normal/reverse wound/magnets so I measured the magnet orientation. The magnet orientation being the most important thing here as you can always just swap the wires. I have to admit I spent quite some time looking for a compass, and all neighbor kids offered me their iphone. :rolleyes: :?: :!:... Ok, they get an A for trying and being helpful!! Gladly, I found a neighbor who still had an old school compass - one that doesn't require satellites.

I used a steel plate to get the magnetic field out in the free to really be able to measure it. The 2 bridge pups are to close together to measure something useful without extending the field of one pup further out so that the other pups field doesn't influence it much. Ditto the neck pickup.

Below are all 5 pups showing their magnet orientation, the way I need them for noise cancelling.

Red pointing to the metal plate/pickup means the magnets should be south up.
    Black pointing to the metal plate/pickup means the magnets should be north up.

I declared the ones with "south up" as normal wound, and the ones with "north up" as reverse wound.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.