4th of July Caster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Thank you for the nice words Helmut but YOU ARE THE MAN! The guitar is a knock-out stunner, hands down. IMHO Patriotic themes are difficult to pull of cleanly with class and style without going overboard. You did it. I'm still BLOWN AWAY that you made that bridge. Holding each tiny part in my hands I was so impressed with your craftsmanship while I was plating it. I tried to imagine how it went together and what it would look like assembled. All the while marveling at how a man would build all these little pieces in a one-off fashion. (and praying that everything went well with the plating, total rookie first time on skates fashion) Now to the body. The level of detail with all the holes countersunk and all the routing being so so nice and tidy was inspiring. Your prep work was 100% professional & top notch at that. You made it very easy to spray a nice finish. Thank you. It was my most sincere pleasure to be a part of this project. Thank you for letting me in on this one! NOW ROCK ON BROTHER!!!!!!! Happy Birthday 'Murica!!!!!!

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Are those "humbuckers" custom or are they just two single coils next to eachother?

3. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

Here is a few sound samples - all with the same amp setting:
    (I know I need to keep my day job..)

Finally ... the sound sample of the Barnpuppies - done today on July 4th 2014. I cannot thank Barncaster AKA Rob enough for this Alnico 8 magnet R&D project that he undertook for me. I like these pickups alooooot. Rob, sorry it took so long to get this done.

Bridge pickup: Barnpuppies by Barncaster AKA Rob. First part is single coil, to me, it sounds like a single coils is supposed to sound in the bridge. Second part is the humbucker with both bridge single coils in series. Perfectly hum cancelling, a bit more base and mid but still has a some portion of the strat bridge sound left. I'd say mission accomplished.
    https://soundcloud.com/user844585359/bridge-single-and-humbucker

Middle pickup:Barnpuppy by Barncaster AKA Rob.
    https://soundcloud.com/user844585359/middle-pickup

Bridge single coil parallel with middle pickup: Barnpuppies by Barncaster AKA Rob. - Oh yeah - Alnico 8 powered pups can quack, too.
    https://soundcloud.com/user844585359/single-coil-bridge-and-middle

Edit on July 5th: Adding the neck pickup samples.

Neck pickup: "No-name" pup with ceramics magnets. First part is the single coil closest to the neck, like on a regular strat. The 2nd part is both neck single coils in series - which to my impaired hearing really comes out as a humbucker - and it is noise cancelling in humbucker mode.
    https://soundcloud.com/user844585359/neck-single-and-humbucker

Neck single coil parallel with the middle single coil pickup: The no-name single and the middle Barnpuppy produce some strat quack, as expected the quack is not as pronounced as with the bridge and middle pickup. ..and it is noise cancelling...
    https://soundcloud.com/user844585359/single-coil-neck-and-middle

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  4. thecableguy

thecableguy Friend of Leo's

WOW that is a stunner! Happy 4th to my American friends on the forum!

5. I_build_my_own

Please note I added 2 more sound samples in the post above, adding the neck pickup.

Thanks Cableguy!

These are single coils next to each other, but with the right mix of reverse wound in place to make the bridge and neck hum cancelling when they are switch into humbucker mode with the first push button.

Thanks Zepfan. I used 500K pots for both tone and volume and a 33nF cap. The tone pot does too much for my taste. Next time I have the pick guard up, I will change it to a 22nF.

6. I_build_my_own

Thanks Rick. This is the first guitar that I actually got done in one year - all others took way longer :lol: time pressure helps - it would really have been lame to finish it in August or December :)

Thanks Glen and Mojotron. Very much appreciated.

7. I_build_my_own

Thanks Mark for the kind words.. But in reality without your contribution, the 4th of July Caster would likely look closer the "Before" picture, where the tremolo was in my mule in summer 2013 :lol:
    [​IMG]

8. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That guitar looks great!

9. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

Excellent Helmut!
    Were you going to give the "Star Spangled Banner" ala Jimi Hendrix a try? ;-)
    Rob

10. I_build_my_own

Ok oK ok... no Hendrix here... I think I heard somewhere that people who botch the national anthem get deported or so... I hope that it is not right ..... I really tried hard to focus in the "Star Spangled Banner", but somehow I got distracted thinking about what new tools to get for XMAS.... Here I gave it a try with the Barnpuppie bridge single coil. :lol:

https://soundcloud.com/user844585359/tremolo-test

11. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Dive bomb Santa!!! Sounds great Helmut.

12. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful. And great thread. Congrats.

13. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Whoa, those Barnpuppies sound fantastic.

14. I_build_my_own

Thanks very much.

Yes these Barnpuppies sound awesome to my ears. They can really bark, too.
    Here is another sample with 3 parts to compare the sounds:
    - Part 1 is middle pickup parallel with the 2 single coils in the bridge (humbucker mode). This strat quack sound is one of my favorites.
    - Part 2 is the 2 bridge single coils in humbucker mode
    - Part 3 is the single coil closest to the bridge. Since I sit 2 feet next to the amp you can hear the hum of the single coil.

https://soundcloud.com/user844585359/hendrix-style-last-3-pos

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  15. I_build_my_own

Tremolo test

Here is a sound sample of the tremolo. I am very happy with it. Even after several deep dives it still goes right back into tune. Needless to say the locking nut is a big contributor for that as well. The fine tuners with a M3 thread and the 6mm diameter handle are easy to use, too.

When it comes to snapping the e and B string at the ball end it behaves like an original Kahler. :lol: But the good old soldering trick gets rid of that problem as if it were a real Kahler. Since I soldered the ball ends of the e and B string, they didn't snap anymore. Just an annoying side effect of these trems

https://soundcloud.com/user844585359/tremolo-dive-bomb-1

The sample was done with the 2 Barncaster Barnpuppies in the bridge in series.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  16. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Awesome snarl outta the puppies! Better put a muzzle on them or they'll bite somebody. :eek::lol:

And the trem is very impressive. You've done a great job on this guitar, Helmut. Congrats.

17. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

The guitar- pickups does not sound treble at all.
    I remember back at 90's the main problem of guitars with Khaler whammy bars was the high frequencies.

18. Barncaster

Barncaster Doctor of Teleocity

LOL! "Star Spangled Banner" into "Santa Claus is Coming to Town". Just brilliant. Love the tone. Well done Helmut.
    Rob

19. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Like how it sounds, especially the bridge hb with the middle.
    Had a Kahler Flyer back in the 80's, never had any problems with it. Wish I still had it, really don't care for the traditional Strat trems.

20. I_build_my_own

Thanks Rick. No way - no muzzle. This is a free country!

Did they not have oily caps back then, oh wait those were earlier. Kahler offered different rollers. If I recall it correctly the brass ones were not as cricket-ish than the steel rollers.

Thanks Rob. Rob that is your BarnPuppie's tone!!!!!

Thanks Zepfan

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.