4th of July Caster

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by I_build_my_own, Jul 5, 2013.

1. I_build_my_own

I_build_my_own Friend of Leo's

I cannot work under this stress. Can I talk to a site admin to change the name to 4th of August or so?

2. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I apologize, Helmut, I couldn't help but have a little fun with Rob's comments. :D This is an enjoyable, easy-going build, for sure. Shoot, who other than you sends their guitars on a nice California vacation right in the middle of a build?

Anyway, remembering Kwerks' "Christmas" build, I don't remember exactly when he finished it, but it wasn't by Christmas, but his nephew loved it anyway.

Like Phil (Kwerk) better to take your time and get it right, than rush it, and then think about what you should have done. :cool:

Carry on, good sir.

3. I_build_my_own

Rick, don't worry!!! When I typed that "I don't function under stress....", I was commuting on a train and for the first time used the TDPRI APP - I did figure out how to place a smiley there. I will have something by July 4th. Worst case the neck isn't wet sanded and the nut is still sticking out left and right :lol: I will then just say, that it needs a minor setup job and will try to get away with it. :lol:

Rob, yes I enjoy the build but the slow progress also feels like torture to me. I am not allowed to start anything new unless this is finished. :(

4. I_build_my_own

Neck is now wet sanded on the back with 800 grit- that's where it stays so that it remains playable and doesn't become too smooth and then sticky for the hand.

Headstock is polished on the front an back. But now there is a setback. The locking nut is too small. I don't think Kahler has this type in different sizes. With this I am also leaving the Kahler locking nut fan club. I should have stuck with a FR nut. :(

[​IMG]

5. R. Stratenstein

Ach! That's a bummer. :(

But seems like there's time to get the FR (or other parts) you'll need to install, get 'em in, set it up, and play us a tune by, or on the 4th! :D Go, Helmut, Go!

6. I_build_my_own

Na, now I have to do some research. I don't know, were these designed for mandolins or are they putting these string locks in the dryer before shipping.... It's ironic, I make the guitar so that the tremolo has a home and then the tremolo has to take a step back because the string lock. dang!!

7. R. Stratenstein

8. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Tele-Afflicted

Rick I'm always impressed how quickly you offer solutions for people's problems here on tdpri. You're one awesome forum member buddy!

Helmut, I hope the wider nut will help rectify this problem. The headstock looks beautiful and hopefully you get to the bottom of this quickly and it's a bolt on fix.

9. I_build_my_own

Here she is, the “4th of July Caster” is ready.
    Finally ready!

(Well, the strap buttons are hiding somewhere in a box and string lock will be exchanged down the road.)

[​IMG]

10. Allthesound

Allthesound Tele-Afflicted

That is a thing of real beauty! Awesome job and wow what timing for the completion . Perfect 10! Congrats and happy 4th of July

11. nickhofen

nickhofen Friend of Leo's

Very nice job Helmut, congratulation.
    Happy 4th of July everyone.

12. dazzaman

dazzaman Tele-Afflicted

Well done, you got there on time, and the guitar looks great!

13. I_build_my_own

Thanks everyone. For the ones who celebrate: Happy Independence Day. For the ones who don't celebrate: Happy 4th of July!

Here some more pics.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. I_build_my_own

The Eagle has landed.

Since it is July 4th there have to be some pictures with a blue background, too.

[​IMG]

And to follow the 4th of July theme an eagle found the way onto the truss rod cover.

[​IMG]

Detail shot of the tremolo with the stainless steel fine tuner screws and the 6mm tremolo arm which is stainless steel, too. Thanks again to Mark Grant for doing such an excellent job with the nickel plating - besides the Lexus White Pearl paint job of the body.

[​IMG]

15. jipp

jipp Friend of Leo's

what a cool build. great craftsmen ship. and very cool so many people were involved. glad to see you got the nut figured out. very nice guitar. and your hand made tremlo rocks. to bad the store bought ones were not built from tool steel. :D that should last a couple of life times before it needs maintenance :D
    rock on.
    chris.

16. I_build_my_own

Thanks Jipp. Yes, without the very nice friends @ helpers this would look and sound different. Making some sound samples of Barncaster's Alnico 8 Barnpuppies is next on the list....

Nothing really new from the back.. The back of the neck is kept matte, only the headstock front and back are polished to high gloss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Glen Smith

Glen Smith RIP

Wow, that turned out looking fantastic! You and Mark do great work.

18. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Great looking guitar. I like your pickup layout/combo idea. I may have missed it, but what value pots and caps did you use?

19. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

+1 That is a mighty fine guitar!

20. R. Stratenstein

Way to go, Helmut! Fantastic build, got 'er done on time, too. Can't wait for the sound clips! Happy 4th to you!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.