Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

$46 and a set of strings.......

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by J Lacey, Apr 30, 2012.

1. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

Amazing what a bridge and new guard can do to an otherwise bone stock plain Jane mim that I've had around for several years. I've seen these exact changes alot here but still it's alot of cool for a little cash and 30 minutes with a screw driver. Thanks to those that answered my questions concerning the bridge ..........

[​IMG][​IMG]

2. el cheapo

el cheapo Tele-Afflicted

I normally don't like tort guards, but that is a sharp guitar!

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. caferacer

caferacer Tele-Afflicted

that is SWEET looking!

6. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

That's just loverly.

7. xylitol

xylitol Tele-Meister

Very cool! Love the color contrast of body, neck, and guard.

8. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

That guitar is beautiful! How does it play?

9. J Lacey

J Lacey Tele-Holic

Well, actully Im amazed that it's playable at all. First timer far as installing the Wilkinson 3 saddle so I figured I was screwed when it came time to attempt a set up. Truth is I looked up some info and found out about measuring the scale length first, then setting the first saddle in the center of that distance, 25 1/2 inches. Then I followed steps 2 and 3 and compared the spacing I had with alot of pictures here on the TDPRI and quickly discovered that I was on the right track, or at least alot of set-ups looked simular to what I had going. Some didn't but most did. I knew I couldn't be far off. I did find out that I need to purchase a set of feeler guages soon if I hope to learn decent set ups. I put on a set of 9.5 D'Addario and tuned it all up. First impression with out adjusting the neck and with all the saddles still level was that the guitar wasn't half bad and there was hope. I studied my Baja set up which I just paid a pro to do and that helped as well. I raised and lowered saddles 1/2 to 1/4 turn each time until things started to click. I think you could set the high E on the fret board and it wouldn't buzz on this guitar. Upper strings not so much. Between backing the truss rod off 1/2 round and messing with saddles I'm really happy with everything that moves up or down. I have less buzz than my Baja. Longer or shorter I have not done yet since I'll need to dig out a tuner, but I'm tuckered out tonight and will deal with that later. Overall it's dang close..........One thing I know for certain is this. Im no guitar tech, but I keep messin' with this set up until it starts feeling like my guitar again rather than someone else's or one hanging on the GC wall, and this combined with some basic rules of thumb from TDPRI and Fender proves to me that it ain't no big deal and that the basics can be learned....at least well enough to make one playable. I hope to install maybe a Twang King in the bridge and I'll be done.

I bought this mim on the bay for $275 about 5 years ago along with a crate amp. It's an 2005. Sold the amp for $35. That put me at $240.00 invested. Tele still had hang tag and plastic on the guard. My nephew traded me a partscaster and $50.00 for it awhile back. I sold the partscaster for $350.00 and put that with the $50.00 which adds up to $400.00 and used $200.00 of that to buy another mim in blue. My nephew traded me this black tele back for the blue one plus gave me another $50.00 to boot. Im still confused and keep trying to tell myself that I almost have this black for free with all the trades. Take into the account the $46 I just spent on it and maybe one of you math teachers can figure out where I'm at with it? Ha. Either way decided it was time and changed it up a bit. All my other guitars are more expensive, the Baja, my MIA, etc., but to be honest this one above gets the most play because it's always out on a guitar stand near my desk while the others are put away and safe. I'll keep messing with it. Thanks for the kind words and help.

Jeff

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

11. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Yeah,there's something about doing it yourself that makes it yours. Congrats, its great.

12. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

Love the tort on black.. I have a 'blackie' strat and have been jonzing for a tort guard for a while, just waiting to find a nice fat RW neck. FYI there are some great videos on YOUTUBE that will walk you through setups. Also hear that a couple nickels makes a pretty decent set of feeler gauges. 1 for high E and 2 for low E.

13. Grease_Monkie

Grease_Monkie TDPRI Member

Very nice guitar man, i put a three saddle bridge on my Standard Tele just three weeks ago its worth it buy an ashtray (bridge cover) for it, would add to the awesome-ness of the guitar

14. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

Nice, that guard really makes the black paint Pop

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.