4 way switching....

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by oceanblue, Mar 15, 2019 at 8:12 AM.

1. oceanblue

oceanblue Tele-Meister

So I see another thread here about 4 way switching on a tele, and the preferred configuration. But my question is more basic. Can someone explain what is happening with bridge/neck in series vs parallel and how both are generally used? The differences in tone? Any other differences? Fairly new to tele's, though I am loving my tele build. Also, is the standard tele wiring scheme have the bridge in parallel or series?
    Educate me please!
    In mine, I got this assembly from 920D

https://920dcustom.com/products/fen...-3-way-control-plate-cts-pots-crl-switch-tele

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

This is my favorite Tele mod. I set mine for neck/parallel/bridge/series so I can go from clean neck to heavy drive humbucker without fiddling on the switch. Clean country twang is all the way to the back and one notch forward. All depends on what you want to use and find most easily.

The series position operates just like a Les Paul humbucker. Slight differences can be experienced. Larger string area covered. Tele pickups are often around 7kohms each while a PAF humbucker will have a pair of 4kohm coils in series for 8kohm series, but many players want a hot humbucker that pushes into 12kohm to 16kohm so the pair of 7kohm Tele pickups in series give 14kohm output.

The usual Tele pots give a darker humbucker tone as most Fender single coils are run with 250k volume while LPs have a 500k volume -- so if you think you'll be on the humbucker all the time then you may want to swap out the volume pot too, and then use the tone pot on the single coils.

The typical 4-way switch can be found around $11 with a little shopping.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 8:51 AM
    brandonh likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.