Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

4-way switching and grounding issues

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Gearjunkie1952, May 19, 2017 at 11:44 AM.

Tags:
  1. Hi everyone, having some trouble on a rewire and looking for some advice. I've got a Fender humbucker in the neck (1 output wire and shield) and a Tele single in the bridge going into a stacked, 2 part volume knob (One section of the pot for each pickup), then on to a 4-way switch, to the tone knob, a tone control bypass switch, and then to output.

I was getting awful ground noise in the positions with the humbucker until I remembered to ground the casing for the pickup. Solved all the noise, but now my bridge pickup is grounded out in positions 1 and 4 (bridge alone and both in series). I suspect the problem is in having the individual volume controls prior to the switch.

Is it possible to have both the working 4-way and the individual volume controls? Any advice is appreciated.

2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Poster Extraordinaire Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    a 2 lead, Ground and hot, pickup, as in your humbucker, isn't gonna work..correctly . . the two leads from the coils must be separated from the ground to the pickup case, a pretty advanced mod for the home DIYer... and a really good way to ruin a humbucker pickup.

If you can, replace the HB with a 5 lead unit.. the ground is already separated from the coil leads.. however... a 4 way is not necessary with a Humbucker... not gonna get ya much except a drop in volume... in that 4th position. Of course, there will be differing opinions...

the 4 way works great with traditional single coils because the 4th position usually couples the two pickups the same way a Humbucker's two coils are connected inside the pickup, the resulting sound is very humbuckerish.... bawlzy . . robust... probably my favorite Tele sound...

rk

Last edited: May 19, 2017 at 4:29 PM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.