Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

4 Way Switch

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by GK34, Aug 23, 2018.

1. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Pearland, TX
    Thinking of going to a 4 way switch in my AM Pro Tele. Is there a good, yet affordable, switch that is recommended?

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    I'm actually not sure if there's a "bad" one. But I have used Oak Grigsby exclusively with perfect satisfaction. Fender is fine but you're mostly paying for the label. I see a new brand I've not used on eBay called Tritan. I know nothing of it but it was discussed here on our site. Some folks didn't like it.
    http://www.tdpri.com/threads/tritan-4-way-switches-any-good.307946/

If this Oak Grigsby is genuine, this is about as good a price as I've seen:
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=222873614352
    Note it lacks a tip, but you have one of those already...
    Good luck. This is a very worthwhile mod, IMO.
    Rex

3. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    The Oak-Grigsby brand made by Electroswitch is used by Fender. Other versions are dubious.
    Cheaper on Ebay and elsewhere under the Oak-Grigsby name than the Fender branded one.
    The Am Pro is easier than many Teles to convert as the neck pickup cover has a separate ground wire.

4. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

Dec 20, 2010
    Pearland, TX
    Thanks guys!

5. Fenderslinger

Fenderslinger TDPRI Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I used mojotone and was very happy

6. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Oak Grigsby is the one..

jimilee likes this.
  7. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

3way CRL, a no load Bourns push/pull and wire it to the Deaf Eddie schematic.

No matter where you are on the selector, it will activate the series with the p/p. No guess work.

Not an Oak Grigsby switch fan here.

OG switches just seem flimsy to me compared to the CRL's.

And I do realize they are both made by Electroswitch.

Wish CRL made a 4way.

8. kipkohl

kipkohl TDPRI Member

Dec 3, 2017
    olywa
    I used an Emerson pre-wired 4-way switch. Improved the tone of my Squier CV50's. I know there are are cheaper ways to do it, but I liked the convenience, plus I'm a crappy solderer.

9. 55ggarz

55ggarz NEW MEMBER!

Aug 24, 2018
    Texas
    I used an Oak Grigsby in my CVC, works great

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I recently half melted a gotoh plastic switch making it intermittent so I don't recommend them.

11. kinawoo

kinawoo TDPRI Member

May 13, 2018
    estabalores
    I would like also to put it in my CV, and I wanted to buy pre-wired, cause I am not very good at soldering, but can't find it here. On line shops here sell just switch, even don't know if they attach some kind of diagram or not. Actually, how much soldering does it take if you insert just a switch, I wouldn't touch any pots. Just one wire from neck pickup, and switch modification. This is the only possibility for on line buy I found: https://www.muziker.hr/fender-4-way-mod-switch-tele

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

Oak-Grigsby fan here, durability and price. A stealth Les Paul for $11 is awesome!

Your next decision is where you want to put the Humbucker switch position.

Classic wiring you will find is: Series/Neck/Parallel/Bridge

I like Series in the back: Neck/Parallel/Bridge/Series (just take the classic wiring diagram and swap the bridge and neck hot wires and rotate the switch 180degrees in the control plate). Then I can slap the neck clean into the drive humbucker. Or move and back up one click for the middle options.

Others sometimes want Neck/Parallel/Series/Bridge or Neck/Series/Parallel/Bridge which is another diagram.

13. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.