Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

4 way switch with these pickups??

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by StuartJames, Jun 10, 2018.

1. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    Hello, first time post here. Got a squire affinity Tele cheap and plan to do some mods. I have a burstbucker to go in the neck and a SD Quarter Pound for the bridge. Obviously not going for traditional Tele tones with this set up. My mate has given me a 4 way switch. Question is, will the 4 way be an overkill given that the pickups are pretty "hot"? Or should I go for it?

2. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI

With regular SS Tele pickups the four way switch is like having another guitar that only costs you $11 and takes up no space. I really like it. I have one Esquire Tele with a humbucker bridge I split the coils out as if they are a regular SS and use a 4-way on it and it's a lot of fun.

3. bender66

bender66 Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I've read people really like the hotter pickups in that 4th series position. Never tried it myself but have been tempted to. I have a QP & a Hwy 1 set laying in my parts.

4. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    Ok so hotter pups may work in that 4th series position. Was worried it my get to much, but may be worth shot

5. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The Vintage Noiseless singles in my Thinline are "fairly" hot. 12 for neck and almost 9 for bridge.. And it ships with 4-way as standard.

I can't imagine that your pups wouldn't benefit from it as well.

image.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

6. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    Great, thankyou

7. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You're going to see God playing both those pups in series.

8. StuartJames

StuartJames TDPRI Member

Jun 10, 2018
    Australia
    This is the sort of encouragement I needed! When I get it done I will report back. Got a few mods to get through first

9. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Holic

Jul 7, 2014
    Belgium
    I must say that I was pretty reluctant the first time I decided to do a 4-way switch. Now I think it should be standard on ALL telecasters, no matter the pickups.

You cannot loose... If you don't use it, you still have all the beauty of a three way switch, and if you want more, you got it!

blowtorch likes this.

10. 4 way is an automatic in all my builds! I cant imagine why someone would do less. They do require notching to the switch shaft or switch plate due to the slighly longer throw, but easily done.

Eric

Sollophonic and nicod98 like this.

11. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Poster Extraordinaire

Oct 22, 2006
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    If it was mine I'd go 4-way. Why not? You already have the switch, and you'll be tearing it down anyway to change out the pickups. If you don't like the two pickups in series, just don't use that position. And you can always put the 3-way back in (you won't, but you could).

Don't over-think this, just go for it. :)

nicod98 likes this.

12. EspyHop

EspyHop Tele-Meister

May 28, 2018
    Dayton, OH
    All SS Teles should have 4-way switching and an Electrosocket.

Sollophonic and nicod98 like this.

13. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

I agree.

It should be a mod that you remove if you don't like it rather than the other way round;-)

EspyHop likes this.

14. Ira7

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    This is where Fender often misses the boat:

They could be building lines like this, both Squier and Fender, and charging a small PREMIUM for 4-way, even though it doesn't cost them a nickel more to produce.

They should spend more time on what guitarists want instead of renaming things.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.