Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

4 way switch wiring w ground problems

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by 58strat, Feb 8, 2013.

1. 58strat

58strat TDPRI Member

Apr 28, 2003
    ground problem with neck pickup cover ground. Big hum if I touch neck cover when it's in:

1. 1st position -bridge pup on only
    2. 4 th position - bridge and neck on (big humbucker type sound)

switch engaged with postion 2 & 3 is fine , no hum. Positions 1 thru 4 are all in phase & sound good except for above explanation.

The bridge plate is grounded to the back of the volume pot but didn't hum before I connected it, didn't seem to need it but did it anyway. If i try to ground the neck cover to the back of the volume pot or bridge the hum stops but the neck pickup becomes engaged and postions 1 & 4 are the same (bridge and neck on).

Pickups are 51 Nocaster bridge and neck.

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Explain how you added the neck cover ground.

3. theGecko71

theGecko71 Tele-Holic

Nov 18, 2008
    Dayton (NYC Refugee)
    I "telefied" my Esquire once using a 4 way switch and it also produced a big annoying hum, probably from a poorly grounded neck pu cover. For some reason it's hard to get that right. Go to a pro....?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. abieber

abieber TDPRI Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    Fender has wiring diagram for 4way online. You have to ground the neck pickup to a pot.

6. DrBanana

DrBanana Tele-Holic

Feb 22, 2011
    London
    1. Did you snip where the original ground attaches to the neck pup cover?
    2. Have you made sure you soldered the new ground lead to the cover and not to the original ground tab?

Both easy mistakes to make, done them myself with all sorts of confusing results.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.