4-way Switch Options - Is one better/more useful?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BCblues55, Mar 11, 2019.

1. BCblues55

BCblues55 TDPRI Member Gold Supporter

Hi there!

I have several Telecasters with 4-way switches that use the "standard" switch layout:

Bridge
    Bridge + Neck (parallel)
    Neck
    Bridge + Neck (series)

I recently picked up a Telecaster that has a slightly different layout:

Bridge
    Bridge + Neck (parallel)
    Bridge + Neck (series)
    Neck

For those of you who have experience with both switch layouts, do you prefer one over the other? Even if you haven't used both, do you think the "non-standard" layout is preferable?

I'm kind of used to the standard layout, but I'm intrigued by the newer layout. I don't know why, but it may be better and I don't think it it would take much to change the others.

In advance, thanks for your thoughts!

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Poster Extraordinaire

My Logan Custom BSB (the one I'm playing in my avatar pic) has the "standard" 4-way layout. I've never tried one with the other switching configuration. And since I've had this guitar for going on 8 years, and it's my main gigging tele, I might have trouble adjusting.

That said, I think the different layout could be quite useful. The way I use mine a lot of the time, I play bridge + neck in parallel, and then switch to the two pickups in series. I use the series configuration like a clean boost during instrumental breaks, then come back to the "middle position" for the verse. So that means I switch from the #2 position to the 4, and then back to 2 again. In that "non-standard" layout, it would be just a simple, single click of the switch one position up and then one back. Sounds simpler, but I don't know if I could re-learn switching after 8 years.

BCblues55 likes this.
  3. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the bottom one..... neck/bridge at either end.... easy to find...:D

Steve 78, Shuster and BCblues55 like this.
  4. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

The more common configuration is the first one you list.

As for "better" / "more useful", choose the one that suits you best, it's purely subjective.

BCblues55 likes this.
  5. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity

KISS- Just like a regular tele 3 way, then all the way forward for overdrive gear

Bridge
    Bridge + Neck (parallel)
    Neck
    Bridge + Neck (series)

DavidP, SPUDCASTER and BCblues55 like this.
  6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The "standard" configuration is easiest for me to find on the fly in a live situation. But, to each his own.

The Oak Grigsby switch isn't as positive, maybe a little more flimsy feeling to me than a CRL switch. The OG doesn't seem to lock into positions as does the CRL. IMO. A design difference.

Problem is that CRL doesn't have the 4 way option.

Only one of my Tele's has the 4 way switch. If I were to do it again, I would opt for the Deaf Eddie mod.

danpan and BCblues55 like this.
  7. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

I have the first option. The sounds go from bright to warm as you move the switch forward.
    The second option doesn't make sense to me. The sounds go bright to warm up to position 3, then go brighter again.
    I prefer consistency.

BCblues55 likes this.
  8. LGOberean

Yes, there is a logic to this configuration, and like I said, this is what I have in my BSB, and after 8 years I am certainly accustomed to it.

But the KISS/consistency argument for the "standard" switching configuration being an advantage presupposes: that in your playing you "go from bright to warm" in linear fashion; and/or make no pickup selection changes mid-song that do not conform to that linear arrangement. If, as I said earlier, you make pickup selections like going from positions 2 to 4 and back to 2 again, then the KISS/consistent layout is suddenly less simple, less consistent.

I'm not looking to re-wire my BSB's switch. The "standard" 4-way works for me. I'm just saying that I can see at least one advantage to the "non-standard" configuration, and can understand why it was developed.

BCblues55 likes this.
  9. Ess Eff

Ess Eff Tele-Meister

I don't follow?
    You are not forced to go in single step increments. You can jump to where ever, but at least you know forward is warm n back is bright.
    No diff to a Strat.

10. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I like the first set-up, with the "series" combo all the way forward - EZer to remember which combo is which :)

BCblues55 likes this.
  11. LGOberean

As for the Strat analogy, you couldn't prove it by me. Never owned one, tried twice to cotton to 'em, just didn't take.

But no, of course, no one has a gun to my temple demanding on pain of death that I switch pickup selections in single step increments. Yes, I could jump to wherever. All I was attempting to say earlier is that the arguments that one configuration is simple or consistent, and the other is not, isn't so simple if indeed you have to jump over selections to get to what you want.

As I said more than once, one of my favorite applications is position #2 (both pickups in parallel) for rhythm on the verses and then to #4 for a clean boost (both in series), then back to #2 again. And as I also said, I have the "standard" 4-way configuration, use it a lot, and I'm accustomed to it and don't plan to re-wire my tele. But the 'non-standard" switching configuration BCblues55 referenced puts the two "middle" positions in the middle, and doing that boost thing would be one simple step up and back again.

BCblues55 likes this.
  12. sjtalon

I guess to clarify my KISS acronym for the standard Fender 4 way switching (I have two set up) is that I (or anyone) own other Telecasters, and they are 3 w. So going from
    one to another is thoughtless as far as switch positioning goes.

As far as logic, well then ergonomically, one can wire up one to whatever floats your boat as to what "order" things are, for convenience, or how YOUR mind perceives tone changes, 1-4.

>Is one better/more useful?<

I say like I do with tone caps, YOUR geetar, YOUR ears.

.02 and such as.

Happy pickin'

BCblues55 likes this.
  13. BCblues55

Thanks for the input, fellow Telecaster lovers! Since there doesn't seem to be a clear benefit to the "non-standard" wiring, I think I'll change the new guitar to standard, just to keep things consistent.

I really appreciate your thoughts!

All the best!

14. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

The switch order really depends on what you use the most often, need to find the quickest.

I go with yet a different order:

Series
    Bridge
    parallel
    Neck

So that I can slam from clean neck into drive. When I need single coil bridge I just 'back up one'.

To get the order I use, start with the regular diagram, swap the neck for bridge hot lugs and rotate the switch 180 at install into the control plate.

...Try rotating your control plate for the Kirchen Mod (V-T-Switch to the rear).

BCblues55 likes this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My plea to the general Telecaster public...

Please find and post, or provide a link to, the graphic that's a chart of all the switching combinations for a 4-way switch. There are a lot of permutations given the number of terminals on the switch. I'm interested in the wireing for 1. Bridge, 2. Parallel, 3. Series, 4. Neck.

I've seen this graphic either here on on another forum, but can't find it now. Thanks in advance. -archetype

16. BCblues55

E5977CDB-0316-4F9E-A447-82397520F40C.png

Here you go!

17. BCblues55

Neat layout! I guess it depends on which non-boosted pickup you play the most. I like going from one extreme (bridge) to the other (series), but I could see your layout being more useful if I used the neck pickup primarily.

And, yes, I love the reverse control plate, especially with the Rock Rabbit plate with the angled switch slot! Much easier to use (for me, at least)!

18. sjtalon

options

Attached Files:

santiago53 and BCblues55 like this.
  19. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Tele-Holic

I'm sure either configuration mentioned would be fine, but having the loud setting all the way forward is nice because you can just slap the switch into it without much finesse needed, and then when you don't need to be as loud you can stop playing for second if need be and set the switch back to where you want it again.

BCblues55 likes this.
  20. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

=== Thankometer ===
    Gobs
    Lots <-----
    Some
    A Bit
    Zero

BCblues55 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.