Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

4 way switch mod. Anybody actually use it?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Toadtele, Jul 13, 2018 at 5:50 PM.

1. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Idaho just the tip
    I built my two teles. Love them like my children. I did the 4way switch mod in both because so many people said I should. I wasn’t a member here at the time but saw a few posts advocating it. At first I thought “well this is cool. Another option anyway. I’m sure I’ll play around with it”. Well I haven’t. I’ve tried here and there but never stay in that 4th position long. I assumed I’d use it in higher gain situations. But nope. Seem to prefer the bridge only for higher gain. It’s not a big deal. Doesn’t affect the look of the instrument. It was a little more work than a three way. But I love doing that stuff! So no big deal. Just curious who’s done it an if they use it.

2. peterleroux

peterleroux TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2009
    South Africa
    I did it on my CV, and used it quite often for a solo tone and to get the bassier response

Toadtele likes this.

3. drf64

drf64 Friend of Leo's

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Yes
    No

Steve Holt and Toadtele like this.

4. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Idaho just the tip
    See I thought I’d use it for solos too. And really I can get a decent tone out of it but it doesn’t seem to cut through like the bridge does. As far as bassier.... I’ll have another listen.

5. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Holic

Aug 25, 2016
    I've got it on my Paisley Tele. I don't use it as often as the bridge, but that's also true for the middle and neck positions.

It's a good "neutral" tone. I guess I use it in the opposite way that I expected, when I DON'T want to cut through the mix as much.

Toadtele likes this.

6. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Idaho just the tip
    That is s a great point. It is very “neutral”. Settles into the mix nicely

7. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    I use it all the time, either for noise canceling or those fat humbucker type tunes like Tennessee Whiskey

DavidP, Ira7 and Toadtele like this.

8. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    @Toadtele I’m with you! I’ve got an Elite Tele with the S1 switch to switch between series and parallel. It doesn’t sound much like a humbucker to me: it is thicker than the parallel sound but quackier than a humbucker would / should be. For higher gain or solos the bridge position sounds better. So after a few weeks I just stopped using it: I don’t think I’ve pressed that S1 switch in the last year!
    On top of that personally I wouldn’t consider the 4-way switch because I love the simple klunk of a 3-way switch - I don’t like 4- or 5-way switches, they make me think too hard about what I’ve selected!

RadioFM74, voskarp and Toadtele like this.

9. JL_LI

JL_LI Tele-Afflicted

May 20, 2017
    Long Island, NY
    I have an S1 switch on mine that does the same thing. The button is never pressed for long. Pressed, the guitar is louder, but the increase in volume is mostly lower frequencies. I have a crunch channel on my Mesa for pedal free overdrive. The S1 switch was also challenging to wire correctly. The neck pickup with the volume rolled back is kind of jazzy but I don't really have much use for it playing country.

Toadtele likes this.

10. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Idaho just the tip
    My fourth position almost seems to quieter than the other three

11. RolandG

RolandG TDPRI Member

Jul 31, 2015
    UK
    I’ve done it on all my builds. Do I use it? Yes. In a set of 40 songs I might use it twice. Since the alternative would be bringing an additional guitar to a gig I’m happy to use a 4-way switch. Actually I use a 5-way because the bridge pickup is tapped.

Toadtele likes this.

12. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    It's a standard (to me) mod I do on all my teles, along with the electrosocket swapout. I use it all the time

DavidP, Doghouse_Riley and Toadtele like this.

13. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    Done it. I also use it. it's a different kind of lead boost for me. Sometimes an OD...sometimes the series spot.

Toadtele likes this.

14. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio

15. joshigh

joshigh Tele-Meister

Jun 10, 2003
    Plant City, FL
    I don't like gigging without it. Gives me just enough beef and omph when I need it.

Ira7 and Toadtele like this.

16. Kriticaster

Kriticaster Tele-Meister

Nov 5, 2017
    Crete, Greece
    This is interesting as I’ve purchased a 4 way switch for my thinline build as it seemed like a good way to get more tone options...
    that along with a push-pull pot attached to a 3300 sprague cap for ‘warmth’ control, ala Dirk Wacker...

but it’s been such a long time since I’ve played electric guitar that I really have no frame of reference... it just sounded like a good idea...

I wonder how much I’ll use either of these options...

Toadtele likes this.

17. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    It also probably depends a little on what pickup set it's done to. Texas Specials and Twisted Tele really seem to respond well. Also, it's really easy to do on Tele neck pickups that have no metal cover. And since these seem to be brighter by themselves, the neck-bridge series tone seems closer to a humbucker too. To me it's a versatile tone. Very jazzy with the tone dialed back, and with everything dimed and some dirt or boost added, very useful as well.

Cheers,
    Rex

Tele56 and Toadtele like this.

18. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted

Dec 2, 2004
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Yes; got a 4-way on an '86 paisley with a SD Broadcaster set. It's great for soloing on jazz-y stuff like Western swing.

19. Toadtele

Toadtele Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Idaho just the tip
    Well thanks guys. I’m inspired to play around with it again. Fresh ears. Maybe this concern warrants some new pups. Have vintage noiseless right now. Enjoy them. But couldn’t hurt to try something new!

20. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I've never gotten along with noiseless pickups, although I understand that some folks need them for the noisy conditions they play in.

Toadtele likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.