Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

4-way switch idea: 3 std + rolled-off bridge?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by 2Princetons, May 16, 2018.

1. 2Princetons

2Princetons TDPRI Member

Mar 17, 2003
    I've got a Baja Tele that I replaced the S1 setup with a standard 3-way switch and a Dimarzio Area T set.

I've been pretty happy with that, but find that for the majority of my playing, I like the tonepot full-up for the neck & middle positions, but when I go to the bridge, most (but not all) of the time I want the rolled-off Chuck D'Aloia schmoove jazz sound.

I think I'd prefer a 4-way setup with the 3 forward switch positions being the standard Tele setup, but the farthest back position being the bridge pickup with the hard-wired equivalent of a tonepot rolled back to ~6 or so.

What I'm after is:

Master Volume

Tone pot affects Neck, Neck+Bridge, Bridge positions only (switch positions 4, 3, & 2)

Rear-most position #1 would be Bridge pickup with a hardwired treble roll-off, tonepot out of the path, but the Master Volume still works.

Is that possible with a regular 4-way switch? Ever seen a schematic like that?

2. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

May 29, 2016
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Should be possible... almost!
    On one side of the switch you’d connect the Bridge pickup to positions 1, 2 & 3. On the other side you’d connect the Neck pickup to positions 3 & 4 and a capacitor & resistor between position 1 and ground. (Sorry I can’t draw a picture, I’m on a bus...)
    The ‘almost’ part is that the normal tone control would still affect position 1, but if you normally leave it up full this wouldn’t be too much of a problem (especially if you fit a No Load tone pot).

4-way switches aren’t my thing, but nice idea btw!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.