Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

4 way switch, how do you get around not grounding the cover?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Gutterguy, Jun 8, 2017.

1. Gutterguy

Gutterguy TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2017
    O-town
    my new neck pickup has no cover. It's a Rio Grande Dirty Harry. The Manufacturer has relayed this fact. How can I get around this or just stick with the 3 way switch? I'm aware that the 4 way has to be grounded.
    Thank you
    Russ

2. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    If it doesn't have a cover, you're home free. The worry about the separate ground was to prevent the grounded cover from shorting out the pickup when it goes in series.

I'm sure someone has amended the 4-way diagram for running a coverless pickup but if not, just ignore the neck pickup ground wire in the diagram... you don't have one.

soulman969 likes this.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    ^^^^ Yep, that's correct. Just skip the cover ground wire.

4. Papa Joe

Papa Joe Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 30, 2007
    Swanton Ohio
    Uh huh, I usually remove the cover..

5. Gutterguy

Gutterguy TDPRI Member

Apr 20, 2017
    O-town
    Thank you to All. This site rocks! Russell..

awasson likes this.

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    To clarify a bit - with a cover & 4-way switch the connection between cover and ground is cut and a second ground wire soldered to the cover to maintain the same shielding. One pickup wire still goes to ground, the cover is just handled separately.

7. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I think that might be confusing or you are thinking of a different wiring scheme.

On every 4-way Telecaster schematic I've seen, both wires on the front pickup go to the switch. neither of the front pickup wires go to ground, except through the 4-way switch.

8. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    You're right. I was primarily thinking about the cover ground and my fingers got ahead of me!

awasson likes this.

9. awasson

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    LOL... It made me double check my schematics and then I thought, maybe there was another obscure method I hadn't even thought of or run across. Ya never know.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.