Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

4 way selector options diagrams

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jfgesquire, Nov 6, 2018.

1. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Search isn’t working and there was an old thread I found but the pictures were gone . . .

Looking for diagrams of 4 way, but with bridge/parallel/series/neck configuration. Is that even possible?

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Isn't that practically every 4 way combo?

Maybe I'm not understanding the question.

I do remember saving an image that had every order if that's what you mean.

3. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    should be doable with two throws... hardwire bridge live to live(lug3 vol), neck neg to ground. common on throw one is bridge neg, goes to ground in pos 1, 2. common on throw 2 is neck live... goes to ground in pos 1, 4, and pos3=bridge neg(or common of throw one). voilla.

4. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
    yup it's the most standard configuration, you have to de solder the neck cover, look at seymour duncans website, it's there in the wiring section

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    I remember that post and the table of every possible switching order. I've lost the image that I downloaded and haven't been able to unearth anything equivalent with Google.

The usual combination is 1/2/3/4 = bridge/parallel/neck/series. I, too, want to wire the 4-way switch in my James Burton Standard 1/2/3/4 = bridge/parallel/series/neck

6. brogh

brogh Super Moderator Staff Member

Jun 26, 2010
    italy
  7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

par ser in da middle

Attached Files:

8. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    Actually, bridge/parallel/neck/series back to front, is the diagram that came with my Fender 4-way switch.

9. Toneshapers.com is a great place to find clear diagrams. I assume you are talking SS pickups.

Eric

1541559291137.jpg

jfgesquire likes this.
  10. Tuxedo Poly

Tuxedo Poly Tele-Afflicted

Dec 19, 2011
    Merseyside UK
    Four way options. This set includes neck shunt link which helps to reduce noise.
    4_way_options.jpg

11. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I myself find it strange how many ways some folks need to go with this.

KISS, 1-2-3 keeps regular TELE switching, then all the way forward for overdrive. Seems the most ergonomic.

.02 and such as.

IronSchef, bender66 and SPUDCASTER like this.
  12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Sitting around the house probably doesn't make a difference how you have it configured.

Live, I like the "standard" wiring. I always know where the series is located on the fly.

If you don't switch pickup positions during songs, you're probably okay however you have it wired.

13. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2018
    Philadelphia, PA
    Coincidentally I was just googling that same topic. The Fender website has wiring diagrams for all their guitars, including the Baja tele which is wired with a 4-way switch. Here are the links to the Fender page, then to that specific diagram.

https://support.fender.com/hc/en-us/articles/115000820646-Telecaster-Service-Diagrams
    https://p4.zdassets.com/hc/theme_assets/549136/200076499/014-1502A_SISD.pdf

Another great source is the Seymour Duncan website, which has every wiring diagram you can think of.
    https://www.seymourduncan.com/wiring-diagrams

Finally, I found this awesome video on YouTube that shows just how to do it. The pickup mod at the very end is a key piece of info.

14. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Meister

May 23, 2018
    Lake View
    I don't sit around the house, thank you, so I guess it makes a difference to me.

Setting a guitar up for the next song is almost as important as switching during songs, and you don't always have much time to do so.

My best live guitar was a Strat modified to master volume, master tone, middle pickup volume blend. It has recently been put back right and retired.

The Les Paul is a great sounding guitar, but live takes too long to get dialed in, especially with the volume pots being coupled. Great for studio work, but live it pretty much has to be pre set. Yes I could rewire it, but I don't want to. FB_IMG_1498678991316.jpeg

15. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't intend to insinuate that you only sit around the house or don't change pickup positions during a song.

My post was just an observation/opinion of how I view the B/M(parallel)-M(series)/N setup.

Wire it however it works for you.

16. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

THIS^^

I love 4-way mod for tele - always do this option (all the way forward is series combo) :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.