Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

4-way grounding help!

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Nlongw, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Nlongw

Nlongw TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Abilene, tx
    Hey guys! So I'm reaching out to y'all as a last step in a nightmarish guitar problem I've had for months. I am not new to repairing my own simple guitar glitches, but I cannot find this problem. It began with a simple switch breaking on my Mexican Tele. It stopped working, and I decided to replace it. So, I went to my local guitar shop and decided to try a 4-way switch for fun. I took it home and installed it with the diagram below. I noticed a grounding issue (constant buzzing unless touching anything metal) in the 1 (bridge position) and the 4 (bridge/neck in series) position after I plugged it back in.

So I took it apart and started checking and rewiring everything I could think of, checking it as I go. I found some small things that I forgot to do the first time, like grounding the neck pickup cover. Then in all my re-soldering, I realized that I over soldered a pot and made it ineffective. So, I replaced the pot. Then I continued to try checking things with a multimeter and alligator clips before finally giving up and taking it to my local shop for repair.

After he looked at it for a couple days and charging me $150, he couldn't find the problem either. So Im stuck with a couple options: I could try buying a regular 3-way switch just in attempt to make the buzz stop, or maybe replacing the bridge pickup to see if thats the problem.

Again, I have tried grounding everything possible and have tried some ridiculous things to make it stop. Needless to say I am beyond annoyed and perplexed with this problem. Let me know if you can think of anything else I could try to fix this.

Attached Files:

2. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

150 and no fix, wow that's un-acceptable. If he couldn't find the issue, what are they doing working on geetars :( pathetic. Even if he fixed it, and charged 150, that's insane. Time for a refund.

So you added another wire on the neck to ground the cover, but did you snip the wire that jumpers the neg. coil wire to the cover tab ??

3. Nlongw

Nlongw TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Abilene, tx

4. Nlongw

Nlongw TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Abilene, tx
    I just double checked to make sure that I had done that already, and I have.

5. sjtalon

Bummer, would have been a easy fix.

Hard to say. Could be a bad switch too.

Can you post a few GOOD pictures of all involved there ?

6. Nlongw

Nlongw TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Abilene, tx
    This should be everything you need! let me know if there is anything else I can send to help!

20170423RJL_00011.jpg 20170423RJL_00013.jpg 20170423RJL_00092.jpg

7. sjtalon

Should have solder-ed the cover ground to a tab, you may have fried the coil there. Can you take a dcR on that neck pup ?? Post K ohms, if there are any.

If good, should be around 8.7 KΩ.

8. Nlongw

Nlongw TDPRI Member

Jun 27, 2014
    Abilene, tx
    If I am reading my meter right, both my neck and bridge pickup are only getting about 4.69 K ohms. Does that mean both pickups are bad? If so, then why do I only get buzz on 2 of the 4 positions? Thanks so much for the advice! I'm just trying to make sure I understand everything right. I would really prefer not to ever repeat this experience again :)

9. user34603

user34603 Tele-Meister

Dec 5, 2016
    Richmond VA
    ...this point is my question on a Squier Affinity neck pickup for a Tele. I have installed 3-5 4-way switches in the past., This neck pickup does not have a tiny wire evident to snip when it is iome to have a pickup cover ground wire. I see no tiny wire viewing the top of the pickup and underneath side has a bar magnet. The pickup sounds OK, so don't tell me to change pickups.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.