Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

4 Rustkaster steel body Telecasters !

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by The Crash Cowboy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. The Crash Cowboy

The Crash Cowboy Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    For the central wood part of the baritone I'm going to use a piece of sugar pine, a leftover from the body I ruined to make the central piece of Rustkaster 0001. It's just a little too short, and there'll be a gap at one side, but that's no problem cause the wood will be painted black and covered by the steel top and back.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2016

2. FilthyTerrible

FilthyTerrible TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Toronto

Nitro cellulose lacquer is a wee bit dangerous, even aside from the fact that it's potentially explosive I mean - as it dries it off-gases nitric acid and Xylene - I'd wager that a disproportionate number of Fender employees die of lung cancer. So, you really ought to do it outside and let it dry outside. If you can smell it, then you're breathing it.

The Crash Cowboy likes this.

3. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Yeah, I googeled it, and I'll definitely spray the neck outside.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Slow progress, due to severe backache (I think it's called 'lumbago') ... but here's the router template for the baritone with the strat neck:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Question:

On the Baritone-kaster I plan to mount a Stetsbar trem, as you know.
    [​IMG]

If you do so on a 'normal' Tele, the neck pocket needs a shim. I believe I read somewhere that the shim should go from 1 mm at the end, to 3 mm toward the neck pickup (to give the neck some extra height and a little angle for the Tune-O-Matic bridge). Second, the 'string-trough' holes in the body aren't needed, cause the strings are hooked in the trem itself.

My idea would be to route the extra height and angle directly into the neck pocket, and to leave away the string-trough holes. Thus, I will get a tight fit of the neck, directly in the pocket.

Normal, the neck pocket depth is 16 mm; I would have to route it from 13 mm (headstock side) to 15 mm (body side).

What you think of that ? And are the measures of the shim (1-3 mm ectra height) right ?

If the whole operation doesn't work out as it should, I can route the pocket deeper to 'normal' dimensions later and make a loose shim.

If for some reason I want the trem off later on, I only have to route out the neck pocket and drill the string-trough and ferrule holes, to mount a normal bridge. That should be no problem.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016

7. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    A calculation error in the post above: to give the neck pocket an angle, I need to route it from 15 mm depth at the headstock side to 13 mm at the body side of course.

I adjusted the template to a piece of plywood, with the angle in it. This will be a test piece; I plan to make a mockup with the Stetsbar, the steel top and the neck adjusted to it, to check if the angle and height of the neck/strings are adequate.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016

8. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    I routed the cavities.

Neck with an angle and 1 - 2 mm less depth:
    [​IMG]

I made a quick mockup to check alignment and angle of the neck to the Stetsbar:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It's pretty much like I want it to be:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

That'll do so far. Tomorrow a mockup with some strings and the Stetsbar fully mounted.

Arch Stanton likes this.

9. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    ... and today a used neck I bought cheap arrived by mail (nitro finished, headstock needs some work):

[​IMG][​IMG]

So I have a spare now LOL !
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016

10. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Mockup with the neck and the Stetsbar. As far as I can see, the height and angle of the neck should be ok like this, or the neck can go in even a little deeper (cause as you can see, the bridge is pretty high up now). In a Stetsbar trem on a Tele, the pickups will stick out of the body very high.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Arch Stanton and Zepfan like this.

11. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    A friend of mine gave me 2 pieces of Oregon Pine. He sanded them down on his thicknesser to 40 mm. Excellent !

No more messin' around with old body parts or glued plywood. These are going to be the wood cores of both new Rustkasters !
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

12. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Work in progress.

Budget Tele:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016

13. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    I wish you all a fantastic and metal 2017 !

14. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    After a break I decided to weld the guitars during the welding class in which I made Rustkaster 0001. The lack of good tools and equipment in my friends workshop was too big for an amateur welder like me !

First thing I had to do was to fix the body of the Budget Tele: due to a measurement mistake, the bottom body part was 10 mm too short. In a very mysterious way the Baritone bottom has the right dimensions.

Before:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    After:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Next I grinded the star inlays of the Double Cut Baritone to size. Next week I will point-weld them in the body parts.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    RANGER295 and Barncaster like this.

15. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    <what's wrong with the image uploading ?>

16. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    The Crash Cowboy Custom Shop !

[​IMG]

The body of the Budget Tele is ready to weld the sides to it. That'll start this evening. Neck fits like a glove and is aligned perfectly !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and I almost forgot to drill a nice hole for the pickup wiring. Almost.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017

17. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    There's no such thing as a Rustkaster Light. I hope this one will stay under 4 kg. Rustkaster 0001 is 3650 grams, everything included (strings, hardware and whatmore). 0002 is 3600 grams already, without sides and hardware.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    bparnell57 likes this.

18. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    The fun has started ! This evening I TIG welding a part of the sides of the Budget Tele.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jsil13 likes this.

19. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Look what happens with the colour of the rust patina when I sand it ! It's difficult to catch the real colour on camera ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A friend gave me a handful of 40 year old, slightly patinated screws (to screw the steel to the wood core). I like them so much better than 'new' screws !

[​IMG]

New next to old:
    [img]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f218/cmarien/Rustkaster%202/F177574F-83DF-40F6-987D-F993514A9F82_zpsjg6gqwrv.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.