Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

4 Rustkaster steel body Telecasters !

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by The Crash Cowboy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That looks awesome!!

The Crash Cowboy likes this.

2. The Crash Cowboy

The Crash Cowboy Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Final attempt to make a template for the Budget Star Tele. The neck aligns perfect and fits like a glove now. Tomorrow I'll route some different body parts from the piece of glued plywood. I also will make a template for the Baritone and make a mockup body part from the plywood, if this first body succeeds. For the final central wood part of the Baritone I have to get a good piece of tonewood, I guess.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016

3. FilthyTerrible

FilthyTerrible TDPRI Member

Oct 7, 2016
    Toronto

Those logo treatments are all fantastic. Those are the first custom telecaster logos I've seen that didn't absolutely ruin a headstock. Graphic design is so key, because we've all got the classic Fender logo stuck in our heads. I think doing a fancy fill in both Crash Cowboy AND Rustkaster is a bit of overkill - I personally like the fancy fill in the Crash Cowboy and the plainer Rustkaster. I don't even like Cowboy references, but this logo treatment makes it cool.

And your guitars are extremely cool. Any plans to do a telecaster custom style rustkaster? I would fly to the Netherlands to buy one if you did! :) ...if I wasn't a bit broke that is. The telecaster custom has a lot of pickguard - might be a nice and easy platform for introducing different materials and some new curves?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Thanks to Nelson Tremblay from Canada, who designed and made them for me ! Read this, my friend !
    This will be my Rustkaster logo forever (and Nelson made a LOT of decals) !

5. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    For the Baritone central wood core I'll try to use the leftovers of the Rustkaster 0001 body; the two sides on the image. I have to try to glue them together.
    The center piece will not be long enough that way, so it'll stop somewhere behind the bridge. The steel top and bottom will cover it, and it will save some extra weight. I think the Baritone will be a pretty heavy guitar ... Rustkaster 0001 weighs about 8 lbs.

[​IMG]

6. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Not immediately; if the Money Fairy rides again I'd like to make a Tele Style Billy Bo first.
    [​IMG]

FilthyTerrible likes this.

7. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Very impressive! I know sooner or later you're going to do one with a bound body. Possibly brass.

8. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Routing time !

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Mistake 1: I forgot to distract the thickness of the steel top, so the cavities are 1,5 mm too deep.
    [​IMG]

Mistake 2: Despite measuring, the neck is a little off. Next try the bridge needs to go 1 mm to the left. I'll route the neck pocket first, and after that I can adjust the placing of the bridge.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Good thing: it's a perfect fit this time !
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

9. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Pffff .... I can weld a little or two, but owww man that woodwork is difficult without any experience ...

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. jmp81sc

jmp81sc Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2015
    Orange County
    Hi Crash
    I don't know about any of the technical things, but I love your unique design ideas, and your DIY approach.

I think a bigsby would look great on this style of guitar very mechanical, also an old Dearmond Gold Foil, Coodercaster style.

Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing your future builds
    John

keeffan likes this.

11. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Thanks man !
    A Bigsby maybe will go on a next build. I like them a lot; there's one on a Gretsch here. You could say 'A trem is a trem' but compared to f.e. a Strat trem, or more rad trems like the Stetsbar, the effect of the Bigsby on my Gretsch is the best ...
    [​IMG]
    I am planning to mount a Stetsbar trem on the Baritone.... This time.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016

12. FilthyTerrible

Oct 7, 2016
    Toronto

Baritone necks aren't common, so they'd likely be more expensive - no economy of scale in manufacturing. Whereas standard strat and tele necks are made by the hundreds of thousands, so the wholesale cost is $6.00-$25.00:

http://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...60433068199.html?spm=a2700.7724838.0.0.dy7gCe

13. FilthyTerrible

Oct 7, 2016
    Toronto

Maybe try taping them together and hitting them all at the same time. That way you get good letter spacing and they're not floating above and below the baseline.

14. FilthyTerrible

Oct 7, 2016
    Toronto
    Queen's Brian May built his own guitar from plywood and blockboard and he doesn't seem to lack sustain. Unless the plywood you used had less structural durability (which is very unlikely) then it would not negatively impact sustain, that would be the job of the bridge the frets and the nut. So long as those are secured into something durable, that is to say not mounted in jello - then no difference.

A comparison between woods would have to compare identical bridges, necks, pickups and pickup heights. I've seen one experiment that did so, and there was no difference between alder, ash and maple. They didn't try plywood.

15. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Some people have had great success with plywood body guitars and some swear by them.
    I've had several plywood body guitars over the years(still have 2), I've never been very happy with the tone from them. I've try different pickups and wiring mods, but only got a passable tone on a couple of them. The others are gone. So I usually just swear at them.:D
    This is a metal over plywood guitar, most of the tone your going to hear will come from the metal.

16. Zepfan

Zepfan Friend of Leo's

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    One other thing, there are many types of plywood out there today that I would have to agree offer more tonal properties compared to yesterday's plywood.
    I think that the excessive amount of glue present in the plywood and possibly the layers hinder the tone to some extent or to a lot.

17. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    About the plywood: we'll see (and hear) ! On my guitar it's just a small piece, holding the neck, bridge and pickup together.
    [​IMG]

Today I started making a template for the baritone wood core.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016

18. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    I ordered a spray can of transparent matte nitro lacquer online today, to finish the baritone neck. The fretboard will stay unfinished, or maybe I'll put Tru-Oil on it later.

If I wear a spray mask like this, can I spray the neck inside my house ???

[​IMG]

19. RANGER295

RANGER295 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Rural California
    I would not spray inside the house as the spray dust would get on everything. Maybe in the garage. As for the safety, it depends on the type of filter cartridges that are on there. They need to be rated for chemicals... usually they have charcoal in them. If they are just particulate filters then they may not filter out all of the bad stuff. That said it probably would not harm you to shoot one neck... hell I have painted tractors and trailers with spray guns with no mask and blown colored boogers for days (probably why I developed asthma at 30 along with welding and cutting fumes).

20. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.