Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

4 Rustkaster steel body Telecasters !

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by The Crash Cowboy, Aug 31, 2016.

1. The Crash Cowboy

The Crash Cowboy Tele-Meister

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Hi all ! I'm from the Netherlands, and a newbie here. I joined this forum to show you the process of building a few steel body Telecasters (and a Billy Bo). I am a hobby welder, no pro !

[​IMG]

A few months ago I finished my first build: The Crash Cowboy Rustkaster 0001. I wrote a blog on a Dutch forum, but I decided to go 'international' cause I need lots of help building the axes ! So be prepared to read a lot of questions to you all, below here; and feel free to post answers, tips & comments ! I really need them !

Allow me to start this thread with showing you some pics of Rustkaster 0001 ! The guitar has an all steel body, welded around a wood central core. I put a single Fender Custom Shop Nocaster '51 bridge pickup in it, and the neck is Allparts. Next builds will also have a wood core; the weight of the first Rustkaster is very reasonable, 3635 grams !

Here she is:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rust never sleeps (this is after a few months):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  2. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
  3. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Here's the plan for the next months:

I recently finished some AutoCAD drawings in real size of 4 new steel bodies. This week (I hope) they will be cut out of a steel plate using a waterjet. A friend of mine arranged that.

Next, I have to buy a simple handheld router to cut out the wood central parts, around which the bodies will be welded. That means that the neck and the pickups will be mounted in wood; the steel will only give the body its 'shape' and is mainly cosmetic !

After that the welding can start, mainly the sides to the body parts. I did build my first Rustkaster during a welding class (10 weeks, one evening each week) with a very fine teacher (The Weldmeister LOL), and a fully equipped workshop: all kinds of metalwork tools and machinery, MIG and TIG welding equipment, point welder, plasma cutter, just name it ... The next builds will happen at the workshop of a friend, with only some basic tools and just a MIG welder, and without the support of The Weldmeister. I hope I learned enough ! May The Force be with me !

I also hope that all bodies will work out nice. After that assembly can start; first I have to get all parts together, of course. In this department I'm gonna need a lot of advice from you all !

Something I have to decide and work out is the finish of the different guitars. I finished Rustkaster 0001 with a 'rustburst' finish, something I didn't see anybody do before, but I'd like to make at least one guitar plain steel with a clear coat laquer. The Budget Guitar (see below) will be 'rustburst' again. And maybe one of the others will be 'sunburst' from Ferrari red to plain steel. But I'm open to all suggestions !

Here's the different guitars. The body shapes will be cut from a 1,5 mm steel plate.

1. Double cutaway Tele : this will be a baritone guitar
    [​IMG]

2. Budget Tele (for a friend)
    [​IMG]

3. Star Tele
    [​IMG]

4. (Reversed) Billy Bo with a straight (not angled) neck and a Tele setup
    [​IMG]

From a 0,8 mm steel plate I will have some inlays cut out by waterjet:
    [​IMG]

Well, let me know what you think of all this ! For those among you who are interested: here's a link to a big blog (in Dutch though ...) about the build of the first Rustkaster:

http://www.gitaarnet.nl/forum/showthread.php?170349-Steelcaster-aka-Rusty-caster

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    For the Budget Tele (#2.) I already bought some cheap second hand parts. This guitar I am building for a friend, who mainly will hang it to his wall; it has to produce some sound tho.

Neck (I'm a bit worried about the quality, but we'll see ...)[​IMG]
    Pickup[​IMG]
    Reliced bridge[​IMG]
    Reliced hardware[​IMG]

A Tele doesn't need a lot more, huh ?[/i]

Twang likes this.
  6. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 15, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
  7. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    This is the idea about the wood core. Pics were made during the build of Rustkaster 0001. I ruined a brand new 90 dollar Allparts body for it ... Won't do that again ! I'll route it myself this time.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    Doug 54 likes this.
  8. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Oh, and to finish Rustkaster 0001 a very friendly guy from Canada, Nelson Treblay, offered to make some decals ! How good is that ! Here's some designs he came up with:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I like them a lot ! Couldn't have done that myself ! Nelson said he can print them out on decal paper and send them to me soon ! Many thanks from here too, brother !

9. nerkoids

nerkoids NEW MEMBER!

Jul 6, 2016
    Montreal, QC Canada
    Nelson here, I'm also a member, CC! How about that? :D

The Crash Cowboy likes this.
  10. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    So nice, brother ! Happy to see you here as well !

11. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    First question :

What pickups (and how many: 1, 2 or even 3) would you recommend on a baritone Telecaster ? No shredder or distorted guitar, but I'm looking for that Duane Eddy/surf sound. Single coils ? Humbuckers ?

12. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2016
    Sthlm, Sweden
    Really cool work there! The rusty metal together with the leather straps looks awesome. Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to more of your future work.

By the way, is that your working shoes? O_O

13. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Sure !
    [​IMG]

:)

Southpole likes this.
  14. MM73

MM73 Tele-Afflicted

Feb 24, 2015
    South Lyon, MI
    Very cool.

Great work!

15. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Here's a movie I made about the build of Rustkaster 0001. There's actually sound of the Rustkaster in in; first two tracks (Get It On and In The Tube) are Rustkaster only; third (Brown Sugar) is all kinds of guitars.

Play it in high res, full screen !

MickM and Captain Nutslot like this.
  16. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    Any ideas about the baritone pickups (see post above) ?

17. HairyChapter

HairyChapter TDPRI Member

Feb 11, 2014
    Göteborg, Sweden
    Sorry, can't help you with the pick up question but I just had to say how cool your guitars look. Makes me think of Mule resophonics telecaster with the raw unplated look.. Now I'm going to have to learn how to weld as well

18. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    It's a lot of fun ! And honestly, though a lot of people think the result is pretty spectacular, the metal work & welding on the Rustkaster really is no rocket science ! I'm just an unexperienced hobby welder, and I did lots of the grinding, sanding and finishing, and all of the assembly, in my living room and garden. Just look at all the holes and bumps and scratches in the steel ... :)

[​IMG]

I'm happy the rust covers the lot of it now !

... and you know what they say: 'If a welder needs to grind, he's a grinder, not a welder' LOL !
    [​IMG]

2blue2 likes this.
  19. maxvintage

maxvintage Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    cool stuff! The rust just seem tele-ish and right

20. The Crash Cowboy

Aug 31, 2016
    The Netherlands
    The waterjet guy decided it's better to have the parts cut by laserjet; his son owns a company who does that. Today he'll give me an indication of the costs ... Laserjet cutting will be cheaper, he said !

21. ndcaster

ndcaster Friend of Leo's

Nov 14, 2013
    Indiana
    very cool, I love it

is there a shock hazard?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.