Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

? 4 NuX/Mooer/Line6 Mod owners

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by klkampman, May 8, 2018.

1. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    I have a list of modulation pedals I want to get and discovered a few all in one boxes that may cover my needs. Any users of NuX Mod Core Deluxe, Mooer Mod Factory Pro, or Line 6 MM4? What about Zoom MS series? These are all digital, all stereo out, and have lots of mod choices.
    Being digital, how is the quality of the sounds? These will be used sparingly so I'm not too uppity about it. No need for a Mobius or H9 for me. Jeorge Tripps himself said the only drawback of the Line 6 pedals are they are all digital, bypass and all. Not using them much I don't want them changing my tone just sitting in my chain. I want one of these pedals so I don't have to get 4 or 5 single pedals, even though I would prefer to have a particular pedal for each sound. I can live with it for the amount of use they'll get. With that, are the sounds all good, usable, and tweakabiloty? I don't want to get one to find out they're all dandy except I still need to get a dedicated Tremolo or exact Phaser.
    Here's the single pedals I would start with. Would these multieffects cover it all?
    Boss Tremolo
    Electro Harmonix Bad Stone
    MXR Univibe
    Any other fun/insipiring sounds are bonus.
    My Strymon Deco has a killer Flanger built in that I would not replace.
    Let me know what you think of these cheaper mod stations.

2. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I have the Donner version of the Nux Mod Core, and didn’t love it. The sounds were ok, but the shared controls made it hard to live with. Each time you change from chorus to flanger (for example) you have to set all of the controls. I listened to videos of the Mooer but wasn’t impressed. I ended up buying the Zoom MS-70CDR, and use it currently. The sounds are really good (not the sample patches, the raw effects), and since it is digital, the settings for each effect in each patch are saved with the patch. The one drawback is switching - very limited. The pedal is not conducive to live use since there is only 1 footswitch. I am currently planning to get a MIDI foot controller to solve that problem. Officially, Zoom says it doesn’t support MIDI, but there are lots of videos showing people using MIDI to control the Zoom. So it’s capable, but unsupported. Once I have the foot controller, I think the Zoom will be perfect.

3. fabricator

fabricator Tele-Meister

Jun 29, 2012
    Texas
    I have the Zoom MS-70CDR, and I like it.
    It can do a lot of things, some of them quite well (especially for the cost).

Like most effects, the factory settings aren’t that great, but you can tweak them to sound good.

I recently discovered that you can save the effects into a list and set it up where you scroll down through them during your songs.

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Yea, that scroll list feature of the Zoom helps a little, but still isn't enough really. The MIDI pedal I am chasing can do everything I care about. The Zoom is a little limited in terms of MIDI capabilities since it is not really supported. But it has the basics that would make "program changes" (patch selections) easy and convenient. Problem is that the guy who makes the controller i like is a small business in the Philippines, and is a bit slow to respond to my inquiries. But since his controller seems to be my best option, I will have to be patient and roll with it.

5. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    Further researching them all and this is what I've found.
    Volume drop evident on Mooer Mod Factory, Pro too. An MkII version of the mini Mod Factory is set to release anytime and it may be fixed. Also added effects, tap tempo, and a soft switch which I love. If volume issues fixed I may look again at MKII but I am passing on Mooer for now.
    NuX Mod Core seems to be useable for some effects and not for others. I came across a discontinued rebranded Donner Alchemist but cannot find any for sale. Would be interested in this one as it has decent reviews.
    Line 6 MM4 is just too big for me. I can't justify the real estate for what it is. I would rather for a free individual prdals than this one.
    Zoom has a lot of fans, just don't know if it is for me. I would love to try it out first.
    I am back at square one. My motto has become buy what you want the first time. I have bought cheaper versions before and wasted time and money. Just save up and get what you want and have more time for playing.

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    The Donner Alchemy / Nux Mod Core effects are pretty good. It actually has a better rotary than the Zoom I use now. But, as I mentioned, I found the control usage to be a problem since I would switch between chorus, tremolo, vibe and rotary, and each time, I'd have to setup the controls for the newly selected effect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.