Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

3A Flamed body, 4A flamed neck - Strat parts build...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mistermikev, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Misty Mountain

Misty Mountain Tele-Meister

Sep 4, 2015
    Seattle

2. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    thank you for looking and responding gentlemen!

3. Macrogats

Macrogats Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2017
    Auckland, New Zealand
    That looks good dude. I really like the light and darker contrast of neck and body.

Congrats and well done. Great looking guitar.

mistermikev likes this.

4. Robert.II

Robert.II Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2013
    Fort St. John, BC
    Love the geetar, great job! I’m not a gold hardware guy but it definitely suits this beauty.

mistermikev likes this.

5. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    thank you. honestly I originally had envisioned them matching much more closely... but that is the risk you take buying something you can't see. had I known I would have paid extra for them to cook my neck or even tried adding some dye to it. Ultimately I think the pickup covers kind of saved it for me as it brings the lighter wood into the body.
    thank you for responding!

6. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    gold is def not for everyone. I have a friend that swears that a gold pu cover ruins the sound of a pickup... I don't know if I'll go so far as "ruins" but it def changes it. had to have ONE with gold frets and hardware so! thank you again for taking the time.

7. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    She's really a beauty. I don't think I would have noticed the darker headstock if you hadn't mentioned it. Wood, being a natural substance, has Mother Nature's variations and imperfections, many of which are lovely, and I don't think the body and neck are mis-matched, they're just natural wood, and not that far off, in my opinion. Great job!

wadeeinkauf and mistermikev like this.

8. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    that's a great wording of how to look at it. good point. I suppose it's the down side of building yourself - you see all your flaws like neon sign but (hopefully) they don't stick out nearly as much to others. thank you for your response!

9. R. Stratenstein

R. Stratenstein Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Aug 3, 2010
    Loganville, Ga.
    Definitely, we builders get caught in “can’t see the forest for the trees” mindset, and hung up on those neon flaws, but all such complex endeavors have compromises and work-around that are actually a measure of skill. Enjoy playing her!

wadeeinkauf likes this.

10. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2010
    Monterey CA
    Absolutely second what Rick said. It is a beautiful guitar. I really think it is great that you are experimenting with different configurations to get different tones.
    Wade

11. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    so true. have had my share of skill builder mistakes!

funny, I'm sure you'd both agree - it's all about the journey. as with pedals and really everything I do... I sometimes enjoy the build more than the use. I have been playing this quite a bit tho. nothing like a new build to inspire one to play. afa wiring... barring building my own active preamps, this wiring setup is about as complicated as I've done, but the controls are really simple. Very satisfied.
    thanks again for the responses!

wadeeinkauf likes this.

12. Vizcaster

Vizcaster Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2007
    Glen Head, NY
    Nice knobs...

Great result. I wouldn't try to darken the neck, I like the way the fretboard is a different color. If anything perhaps just a bit on the headstock to get closer to the body color.

13. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    thanks... my first crack at knobs/inlay. I have to redo one cause it's a bit lop-sided.
    afa tint the headstock... it'd be tuff to get it tinted to match... may turn out worse. I think I'll just leave it. I figure if I end up dinging it up somewhere down the line I'll probably sand it down, add some dye, redo the logo and re-gloss but for now I'm just going to enjoy it.

thanks again for the response!

14. PingGuo

PingGuo Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

May 19, 2014
    North FL
    Really awesome! thanks for posting all the great pics!

15. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

Apr 17, 2007
    Big D

16. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    thank you gents for taking the time to look it over.

17. slick4772

slick4772 Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Really beautiful guitar. Do you know or can you estimate the body radius - the round-over. Most strats are 1/2" (probably technically they're supposed to be 7/16") but yours appears to be around 1/4". Looks great.

18. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    Mohawk Colonial Maple penetrating stain, would bring that neck right in line IMO.

19. mistermikev

mistermikev Tele-Meister

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    thank you sir. I would guestimate it's a heavy 1/4 only due to my vigorous sanding. It is one of the things I really liked about this body. when you've got a drop top that is maybe 3/16-1/4 thick... a 7/16 or 1/2" radius just doesn't look good to me. you start to see the top edge. just my opinion... thanks again for the response!

good advice. the issue with the neck would be that it is/was already fretted... if you get a blush spot or want to sand back... well that's a lot more work than I'm willing to do!
    I think I'll start to like it more as it gets dirty!

anywho, my next geetar is going to be a build from scratch... won't have those limitations so will keep your advice in mind. thanks for the reply!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.