Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

3A Flamed body, 4A flamed neck - Strat parts build...

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by mistermikev, Mar 3, 2018.

1. mistermikev

mistermikev TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    So just found out my neck is on the way here... musikraft 4A flamed maple, cbs headstock, evh profile, evo gold frets, abalone inlay. 4wks to build and ship so they have exceeded expectations by at least 2 weeks - nice work Musikraft!

wanted to do an all flame strat... was going to go warmoth on the body and do 4 singles (I will still someday) but plans changed when I found this wd for $225 - had a small crack in the back so they discounted to $178 shipped!
    DSCF2499.JPG

found a babicz bridge on amazon for $117 - $40 for signing up for amazon card. Went with gotoh 510z magnum lock tuners. DSCF2588.JPG

cut myself some flamed maple control covers - meh... may redo them we'll see... not bad for $12 worth of rockler std maple stock eh? DSCF2586.JPG

wireup... I'm a big fan of dummy coils. Not because they sound like a single with no hum... because they offer a tonal variation with no hum. Spent a lot of time on this wireup idea, basically mode1 will be std strat, mode 2 is 1-4 series (1/3 w dummy coils) and 5 para with dummy, mode 3 is leftovers (tele sound, 3 pickup combos). Have bridge and neck texas specials and middle seymour antiquity from my pickups bin. Superstrat.jpg

routed my 5 way switch... using bits from amazon that while they were very sharp and cut well... it's a hair too wide at 5/32... next time I'd use two passes on a 1/16th bit but hey... if that's the worste thing that happens on this build (yet to drill the 2 pt trem studs) I'll be in good shape. DSCF2589.JPG

anywho, waiting on a better 4p3t rotary, a 250k push pull, some flamed maple single coil covers, and my neck. Still need to snag some flamed maple push on knobs... I'm aware of one place for some decent one's but they're $20 a piece and well... I guess I'm cheap. Any suggestions there? cheers and thanks for looking: will update this post as I go.

Attached Files:

2. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    That's sure enough going to be pretty! I'll have to digest your wiring plan when I have more time to study on it.

Looking forward to seeing the neck.

Cheers,
    Rex

mistermikev likes this.

3. mistermikev

mistermikev TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    I very much appreciate you taking the time to comment.
    afa wiring - yeah, please do... my head is still spinning from that one. There are a few connections that aren't obvious either. Attached is my final scratch pad that is a little easier to digest. Also note my tone control isn't correct as drawn... was contemplating a diy preamp there but I like to keep my strats and teles w/o battery so... probably a grease bucket tone control with push pull for a variable parallel 3rd dummy? I dunno.
    Anywho, thanks for the comment!

4. oldrebel

oldrebel Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Oct 23, 2011
    Lynchburg Tennessee
    That is going to be beautiful!! Love me some flames.

mistermikev likes this.

5. mefgames

mefgames Tele-Afflicted Platinum Supporter

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    Great looking flame. I built a Tele that"s similar. I built a strat-tele a couple years back that has a Babicz bridge, a bit pricey, but worth it. Looking forward to seeing the completed build.

IMG_5876.jpg

6. mistermikev

mistermikev TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    thank you oldrebel also your name would be a great whiskey name if it isn't already.

thank you mefgames - (i read megaflames) your finish is very nice. I really want this one to have a very white looking flame but I guess it just depends on the wood (and finish of course). I've looked at a number of threads regarding yellowing over time and as a result - and depending on what the neck looks like - I'm going to go with my initial choice which is tru oil. I want a bit more gloss than yours (more coats!) but admittedly you got the perfect very light colored flame and I love it. what did you finish with?

7. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Meister

May 10, 2015
    Gilbert
    gold frets and hardware? Dye it red and get a flame maple pickguard and whiten it... make a Hank Marvin strat with your sick pickups!!

That's what I'd do...

mistermikev likes this.

8. mistermikev

mistermikev TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    thanks Newbcaster... but I've got several red guitars already! (that is honestly something I considered(red) and also the thought that pushed me towards either blue or natural) afa pickguard... I actually was looking at going that rout from the start but when I found a rear rout... well I don't have one of those! (at least not a strat anyway).
    I thought long and hard about trying to match this gold custom shop strat I've seen with a blue neck and blue body... may still do that... but dying a fretboard after it is fretted is probably not a good idea as you can't really sand it back. Perhaps with alcohol based dye but even then.

Newbcaster likes this.

9. mefgames

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    Odie's Oil

10. mistermikev

mistermikev TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    roger that. I have heard of it... are you familiar with tru oil? is Odie's less amber? For the most part tru oil comes looks pretty amber during application but goes on fairly clear but... if there is something more clear - I'm all ears!

11. mefgames

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    I have used tru-oil on almost all the necks I build. I prefer it to Nitro which is what I use on bodies. My first build, I tried to use tru-oil on the body, but was not pleased with the outcome. I have seen pics on TDPRI of Tru-oil bodies that were like glass. Mine was not, probably just my not knowing the proper way to go about the process. I was hoping by using Tru-Oil, I wouldn't have to go through all the effort required with Nitro to get a high gloss. If you have any tips, I'd like to hear them.
    As to the clarity of products, I have found that some Nitros are more amber while there are others that I've used that are perfectly clear, and have not yellowed at all so far, going on 4 years with some of my builds.

12. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    I've used Tru-Oil many times on necks, not bodies. The best way to apply it is in thin coats with a coffee fiter or lint free cheap paper towel. It takes many coats with a lot of drying time in between coats. A light sanding with super fine grit sandpaper and then a good buffing to get that gloss finish. Your looking at probably a 2 week process.

13. mefgames

Oct 31, 2010
    North Bay, Ca
    I love it on necks, no problems there, only when I tried to do a body.

14. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    What about Polyurethane in a thin coat?

15. Zepfan

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Tung Oil is similar to Tru-Oil, but without the amber tint. Poly is clear, polishes easy, but looks bad in thick coats.

Stewmac has tinted color Nitro in Rattle Cans.

16. mistermikev

mistermikev TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    not sure I have any tips but here is a bass I did with tru oil and finished after with poly...

IMG_2475.JPG
    here is a tele that I dyed amber and then built up many coats of tru oil. I think experience suggests to get to what I would call high gloss is going to take an awful lot of coats followed by an awful lot of wet sanding.
    IMG_2573_justcurath.jpg

poly and tung oil are both good suggestions. Also, on luthier talk I've been told that water based might be the way to go afa no amber. when all is said and done I really think the tru oil has an interaction with the grain I just don't want to do without... just wish they had a slightly more clear version!

Attached Files:

2blue2 and Macrogats like this.

17. mistermikev

mistermikev TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    so... getting back to my build... have a questions: vote... add some brown to the tru oil and hit the neck with a few more coats? Ideas on darkening it?
    DSCF2606.JPG
    got quite a bit accomplished this weekend... more finish on my neck and parts, drilled my trem studs and installed, installed trem claw, built a new plexi bracket for my dummy coils, had to rout out the control cavity to get my knobs where I wanted them, bought some flamed maple and created the knobs above, started finishing the body and wasn't expecting it to go so dark. love it, more than the neck, but now I kind of feel like I want to darken my neck. had I known I would have sprung for the roasting service on the neck.

2blue2 and Macrogats like this.

18. mistermikev

mistermikev TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    did some inlay on my knobs...
    DSCF2610.JPG

C. Card likes this.

19. mistermikev

mistermikev TDPRI Member

Feb 20, 2018
    phoenix
    so... finally got her finished. below is a shot of my pre-wiring.

[​IMG]

Still have some dialing in to do...my wiring worked right out the gate. I've included an updated version of the drawing - only change was I had made a mistake naming one of the wries and I redrew the ground wires for clarity.

I knocked the poles out of one of three dummy coils and am going back to nock out the poles from the others when I get to it. seem to get more hum from them. not sure if it's something to do with the poles or just due to the series wiring vs parallel? afa series vs parallel on the non dummy pickups I absolutely love it. much more output but less highs. perfect for in front of my marshall. 3rd mode is even more output and fat. really happy with that as well.

[​IMG]

knobs and 5 way tip turned out pretty nice for a first time shot.

[​IMG]

"Texas Stratovarious(parts)" get it... it's a strat made of various parts! haha! I've copyrighted that and if you use it I will sue you for all your guitars and amps!

The gold foil logo was next to impossible for me to get 100% right. In the end I settled for one with a few minor blemishes.

[​IMG]

and here she is... my wife's first comment was "that neck doesn't match that body". She's right. and the headstock yellowed a bit with the poly I put on to seal in the decal. All told, pretty happy with it.

Plays amazing - really have to hand it to musikraft - didn't even do a fet level cause I figured I'd see how it played... keep in mind I like very low action. no buzz whatsoever. neck is ridgid as all hell. one small adjustment and it has been rock solid.

trem/tuners stay in tune better than anything other than a floyd. it is way better than my guitar with 6 hole and graphtec + sperzels + 4 springs. Gotoh tuners are easily the smoothest I've ever felt.

thanks for all the support and reading my blathering on!

[​IMG]

oh, and a few notes on finish: the body is nbto (nuthin' but true oil). I'll never do that again. what a gigantic pain in the u know what. it is very glossy, but has small imperfections. I may have to try to hand buff them out. kept sanding through layers of tru oil with 2k grit paper. then you'd get white lines where one layer stopped and the other started - even after buffing. tru oil is just too thin to really wet sand. If I put it on thick I'd get 3d finish where the tru oil would bunch up. put it on thin and you'll burn through with any sanding. ultimately, I built up enough finish to wet sand and still have finish underneath. then a final thin 2 coats with no wet sanding.

20. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.