Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

$379.99 Fender Classic Player Triple Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by arielyitus, Dec 16, 2016.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    A regular Tele neck pickup won't fit without routing?

2. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    It will not, unless you get a guard routed with the PU on an angle that is. Then the PU may become too narrow end pole to end pole. Hypotenuse in play if not perpendicular and like that.

3. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2008
    mqt.
    I measured it up, neck pickup even at a slant wont fit.

I find myself while almost content with the two pickups in the pickguard, still wanting to have the option for a traditional tele. Plus I have a brand new amer. C.s. twisted tele neck pickup burning a hole in my pocket.

Either that, or Im pulling the middle pickup, and cutting a new guard with just the neck and bridge nocasters in place.

The tone of the neck pickup and bridge combined is real nice.

4. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    I played my TT back to back with a Gibson LP Special double cut w/P90s. They sound different, but I get the same vibe while playing the TT, and I can make my TT sound quite similar to the LP special. TT is a bit more lower in output and it has a crisper articulation, but I was felt like one can replace the other and cover the similar sonic territory. And I like that a lot.

AngelDeville likes this.

5. horax

horax Tele-Meister

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    hate hte fact I didn't have the scratch when these were avialble.
    I cleared up funds the DAY the sale stopped. :(

JayFreddy and chauncy like this.

6. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    Sorry to hear. That's a good reason this thread should be laid to rest and ongoing conversation continued in the Triple Tele Club...

7. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    If you still want to buy one new, you can. They are going on Amazon for around $590.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017

8. Corgitodd

Corgitodd Tele-Meister

Mar 1, 2015
    Cleveland
    Wow! How did you strip the finish? I'd paint it Fiesta Red!

9. 28Gauge

28Gauge TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    I have noticed that a few owners of these triple Teles have the ashtray cover on them. I tried searching the interwebs for one, but I ran into a lot of "this won't fit" or "only fits xxxx" stuff. I would like to get one for my TT just for looks. Can anyone point me to a source, preferably a legit Fender cover.

FYI...I am new to guitars and really new to Teles, so please forgive me if I ask the obvious!

10. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I don't know why the interweb geniuses say they wouldn't fit, you just need to have the correct bridge, which this model has.

I just got a couple off eBay.

11. JayFreddy

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    I tried playing with an ashtray bridge cover once. Since you can't palm mute or put the heel of your hand anywhere near the strings, it put a serious cramp in my right hand technique. At least for how I play, they look nice, but they serve no useful purpose.

Back in the day when Teles all came with the ashtray cover, the vast majority of people would take them off, so Fender finally decided to save a few bucks, and made them an optional accessory for those who really want one.

12. 28Gauge

28Gauge TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2016
    Dallas, Texas
    That is was I read about the ashtray cover. I just want one for the nostalgia appeal. I know that it is kind of silly to want one, but they seem to be in the $20 range, so what the hell.

JayFreddy likes this.

13. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    The bridge cover on early Teles was a design carryover from lap steels.

14. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Originally, seem obvious it was for shieding, no? Obvious in my mind anyway...

15. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Look at lap steels from the 30's through 50's, most had some kind of cover over the pickup or bridge so you could rest your hand without dampening the ringing of the strings. It didn't have anything to do with shielding, it was about sustain and avoiding dampening.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

JayFreddy and Sandhill69 like this.

16. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    I seem to recall on basses the cover was to mute with a foam pad under. And Strats had them initially as well, no foam I'd presume. ;)

Maybe it was for a place to stash doobie snacks?

AngelDeville likes this.

17. jedus

jedus TDPRI Member

I have the modern player telecaster with 3 pickups, And it is a good all round player. Its a little tweaky at first but warms up nicely to the amp IT prefers. Some solid state amps not so much. I have a Peavey Chorus special and it sounds brittle. but my old amp tube amp that is makes it sound great.

18. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    For 380.00 space bucks, it was a decent helping of cool aide to guzzle..

I suspect mine will become parts...

If my lite ash tele body did not have such an exagerated round over, a garolite gard and the TT neck would already be on it...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.