Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

$379.99 Fender Classic Player Triple Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by arielyitus, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    The pots are spec'ed as Fender 0990831000, CTS 250K 10% Audio taper Solid Shaft. I included a link to the wiring diagram somewhere in this thread.

2. garamondbold

garamondbold NEW MEMBER!

Jan 12, 2017
    washington
    Appreciate all the advice from this community - thanks. If I do hear anything interesting back from Fender support re: the oddball pickup, I'll update this thread. Cheers.

PunkKitty and JayFreddy like this.

3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    And Adorama is once again selling the Triple Tele... for $799 and reporting "low stock".

Unless you can find a better deal, Amazon is your best bet for further purchases right now.

4. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 31, 2008
    mqt.
    Wow. Nice to have an instantanious increase in value.

I tossed the TT on my shipping scale, 15.0 lbs. when shipped. Actual guitar weight is 8.0 lbs. on the money. I breathed a sigh of relief upon finding this guitar is a reasonable weight. I dont care for heavy guitars. This gives me a nice spread of weigjts though...my Esquire is 6 lbs., my Baja is 7.4 lbs. and the TT is 8.0.

I like this guitar alot. The neck is silky. Easy to get soulful with it.

JayFreddy likes this.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Friend of Leo's

Apr 18, 2014
    Near Detroit, MI
    Usually it's the other way around, a new player can benefit the most from a good setup. More experienced players push through if they need to and know what they want done out of it when they do fix it/get it fixed.

Mine has middle-of-the-road action and a little buzzing at normal play with the as-received factory setup. I haven't gone through it with my setup yet, it's probably still getting used to the weather here after being in a warehouse or two since built and shipped around the country recently. I'm assuming the frets are ok but I'll check for level when I do my setup.

That stagger pole white bobbin pickup you have, I'd put in the neck position rather than middle, unless it's severely underwound from the other two pickups and reverse wound/polarity. The stagger does the best tones in the neck position, then use a flat pickup low in the middle for maximum quack.

This guitar is making me wonder about keeping my Strat (I will) as this thing can replace all it does.
    I may want to add a push/pull pot for series though. That would take care of any LP leanings.

garamondbold likes this.

6. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Afflicted

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah, it certainly does all of what a Strat can and with a bit more "grunt" and power, except for no "wiggle" stick. If you don't do that thing, then I guess it doesn't matter!

As far as the "white bobbined" 58 pickup, it is indeed reverse polarity, but I don't know how to discern whether reverse wound or not. Mine measures a little less DC resistance than the no-casters, but sure seems to be louder and more powerful. It's working well for me in the middle and once it's lowered enough to balance well with the bridge and neck pups, it gives that glorious "quack" in positions 2 & 4, but with a bit more oomph than a typical Strat in those positions.

And yes indeed, a good setup makes any guitar more welcoming to play, which is a good thing for relative newbies!

My $.02,
    Gene

7. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    It certainly CAN NOT do what my Strat with the 57/62s does in the neck position. Not by any stretch, lets not get carried away now. ;) In fact I can say the Triple T neck position is my least fav on it, and on Strats my fav. That is way opposite sides of the same equation IMO.

xafinity and JayFreddy like this.

8. metalosophy

metalosophy Tele-Meister

Dec 21, 2016
    Dublin, CA
    Man, it looks good with the ashtray on.

AngelDeville likes this.

9. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Not trying to single you guys out on this Strat stuff/claims. Just trying to understand where the comments are coming from. My Strat must not be of this earth or something. The only similarity I find is they both have 3 pickups. This coming from a guy that once put a Tele bridge and pickup in a Strat experimenting. :cool:

I will say I like the middle PU when selected alone in the TT over my Strat. ;) But the in between positions on the TT lack that Tea Cup [I call it] resonance. And the neck pickup alone does not remotely approach the woody/throaty character of 6.2 k 57/62 pickup in my Strat.

Peace

JayFreddy and Sandhill69 like this.

10. PixMix

PixMix Tele-Holic

Aug 30, 2008
    MI
    The 2&4 positions on the TT I find the least interesting, in fact I haven't been using them at all.

I have a 2012 American Strat with custom shop fat '50s pickups (stock), and I don't find TT and strat tonally similar at all. Personally I like the muscle and clarity that the TT has and I really, really like the middle, neck, and bridge positions (in that order) better than any position on my strat.

11. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's

Jan 9, 2010
    virginia
    I did not like the neck position much either but I really lowered the pickup to just above the pickguard and think it much improved the tone. Funny because I like the bridge raised up quite a bit

12. mijstrat72

Jul 31, 2008
    mqt.
    Im finding the 2 & 4 positions turn to mud when driven.

I know Im crazy, but I thought about putting in 3 way.

But this is such a cool studio guitar. Able to achieve clean tones never before used equals a neat tool to keep in the quiver.

JayFreddy and Sandhill69 like this.

13. DanDII

DanDII Tele-Meister

Nov 2, 2015
    Sinsinnasti
    It is different with the TT as I actually like the middle pup alone best followed by bridge and then the neck. On a standard Tele the neck is one of my favorite positions. When playing a Strat I usually only use positions 2,4, and 5 in that order.

I've done all the pup manipulations I'm going to. The TT is getting broken down for parts tomorrow. The neck will replace my GE Smith neck on the black GE body. I may hold on to a couple NoCasters but the rest is Audi...

Everyone's TT just went up in value! :twisted:

14. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Meister

Dec 12, 2016
    Northern VA
    Yeah I have to agree with you. I played it back to back with my strat and tea cup resonance is a good way to describe it. Tele still has that spank. It gets in the ballpark between bridge and mid but its missing that "thing" that strats do. It does its own thing, a good thing, but its not a strat thing.

15. AngelDeville

AngelDeville Tele-Afflicted

Dec 27, 2007
    Albuquerque
    I'm not much of a neck pickup player, so I got me an esquire with two extra pickups....

Once I get to be a better player I may explore further, but I'm not changing the guitar.

And I am going to keep her. She's my first new electric I ever bought.

16. mijstrat72

Jul 31, 2008
    mqt.
    Played the TT and my Baja back to back today.

Now I want a Nocaster in my Baja.

Should I.....?

JayFreddy and AngelDeville like this.

17. robt57

Feb 29, 2004
    Portland, OR
    Step away from the soldering iron, put down the screwdriver....

;)

xafinity and AngelDeville like this.

18. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson TDPRI Member

May 24, 2016
    Chicagoland
    You guys that got the oddball pickup should try flip flopping the bridge and middle pickups in the pickguard; you don't even have to rewire it. Then, you get the classic tele bridge/neck position and two different pickup values for the bridge/middle combo.

19. mijstrat72

Jul 31, 2008
    mqt.
    Ok, just finished the 7 way mod. Neck/Bridge sounds alot like Neck/Mid. but alot clearer. All three together sounds fairly clear as well. We'll find out in the morning.

JayFreddy likes this.

20. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Meister

Oct 27, 2008
    Upstate NY
    NOOooooooooooooooo!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.