Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

$300 D'Angelico?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by soulgeezer, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Inglese

Inglese Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2018
    Italy
    More or less... sorry guys but it's impossible to write in english the right phonetics of an italian word.
    However... "dan" with "a" like in "car".

2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

May 17, 2003
    Great Pacific NW
    I played one of these at the local GC last week. I was expecting the big ol bass a dreadnought usually supplies. I was quite surprised to be met with the cool, old time dry blues tone a small bodied Gibson usually provides. It wasn't bad, just not at all what I was expecting!

3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    John D’Angelico was American from New York. It’s “dan,” with an “a” like in “dan” (rhymes with “fan,” btw.)

4. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Yeah, but it's the made in China ones...
    It's like saying "RCA once the best in electronic gear now get's bad reviews." It's just a name bought by the Chinese.

5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Tele-Afflicted

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    It's still an Italian surname :lol:

IME, many Italian Americans are very proud of their ancestry and their names.

soulgeezer likes this.
  6. Inglese

Inglese Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2018
    Italy
    John D’Angelico was American but not it's surname. I can be quite sure the most of Mr.John ancestors used to pronounce it as an italian word so, just as a mean, I guess the right pronunciation is the italian way.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  7. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    So, how he himself pronounced it doesn’t count? OK.

8. soulgeezer

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Three Americans bought the trademark. They just make the guitars in China.

9. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    Irrelevant, still made in China. Many good things are made there, but the company owner must know how to get the product he desires. Like the Apple I phone. If you dont spec it, make sure you get it, test it, .... you will get varying levels of quality. Just sayin' :>)

10. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    That Grammercy is Indonesian. My Excel EXL-1 model is Korean.

11. Inglese

Inglese Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2018
    Italy
    Hard to reply.
    The brand is his own but the surname not... can't tell.

12. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    D'Angelico did buy plywood bodies from a budget manufacturer for his electric only (meaning the pickups were mounted, not floating) models, but he always made the necks. I'm not sure how far he would've been willing to go down that rabbit hole with his own name though. He was a luthier who made custom instruments for professionals, as was his protege, who properly started putting his own name, D'Aquisto on the headstocks once D'Angelico was gone.

There are still many luthiers who build custom instruments for professionals, who still care what their name is worth. They don't slap it on cheap factory instruments. I think D'Angelico would've had too much pride for these things bearing his name today. I just look the other way when I see them. I'm not even sure why I opened this thread, but I'm glad it was a rant.

soulgeezer likes this.
  13. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

May 9, 2005
    CHICAGO, IL.
    Yes, I know.

I’m referring to the Chinese ones, as an example of a brand being basically ruined.

schmee likes this.
  14. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

D'Aquisto:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.