Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

3-Way switch wiring help

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Jonesy11, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Jonesy11

Jonesy11 TDPRI Member

I just bought this switch to replace the broken one in my Tele, but i cant figure out the wiring. I cant seem to find anything that corresponds to this switch on google, and i know you guys on this fourm know what you're on about. Any help would be greatly appreciated, wether its a wiring diagram, or somewhere where i can get a clue as to what im dealing with

Lugs 2-3 are joined, 4-5 are joined, and 6-7 are joined.

Attached Files:

2. Thighbanez

Thighbanez Tele-Afflicted

whoa...thats different.
    Who is the manufacturer of that switch?

3. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

Do you have an ohmmeter? How many positions ?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Teleterr

Teleterr Tele-Afflicted

6. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Attached Files:

7. Verne Bunsen

Verne Bunsen Tele-Holic

Well, if it didn't come with a diagram, we'll figure one out. Grab your multimeter and do this:

1) Put the switch in whatever you want to call position "1" and test for continuity between all points. My guess is you'll find that either 2/3 OR 6/7 will have continuity with 1 AND/OR 8.

2) Put the switch in the middle position ("2") and test for continuity everywhere. I predict that 4/5 has continuity with 2/3 AND 6/7, along with 1 AND/OR 8.

3) Put the switch in position "3" and test for continuity everywhere. I'd expect that 2/3 OR 6/7 (whichever was not active in step 1) will now have continuity with 1 AND/OR 8.

Now, if my guesses were correct, we know how to wire it. Depending on how you orient the switch (PCB towards or away from pickups), you'll run the hot wire from your neck pickup to whichever lugs were active in the proper switch position, and likewise for the bridge. No extra wiring necessary for the middle position because PCB switches are slick like that. 1 AND/OR 8 will be your hot to the volume pot.

Or if I'm way off, we can still figure out what goes where by knowing what has continuity with what when the switch is in a given position. Post what the ohmmeter told you and we'll figure it out from there.

Hope that helps!!

8. Jonesy11

Jonesy11 TDPRI Member

Thanks everyone. It's a generic 3 way switch off eBay. Didn't mention a make or model. In hindsight I shouldve probably pain an extra 4 quid and got a fender :)

9. Thinlineggman

Thinlineggman Tele-Afflicted

Squires come with switches like that. I just gave up and used 2 volumes on my latest build since I couldn't figure out the stupid thing, and I'm too cheap to buy one that corresponds to a wiring diagram:p

Besides, I always have the tone on 10 so I don't personally need the tone knob anyways.

10. sjtalon

sjtalon Poster Extraordinaire

Squire:

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.