Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

3 way, adding middle pup w on/off switch?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Tollehouse Twang, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Tollehouse Twang

Tollehouse Twang Tele-Meister

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    I'm interested in trying this config but I can't find any diagrams on it.

As the title says,
    I'm wanting to do a traditional tele config but adding a middle pup with on/off switch.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    This would be applied to a thinline deluxe I should add. So there's already 2 vol 2 tone.

I don't want to add anymore pots.

Is there a way to wire it into the existing pots?

3. philosofriend

philosofriend Tele-Holic

Oct 28, 2015
    Kalamazoo
    You could use a double throw switch to send the new pickup to a volume control instead of the pickup usually on that control. I'm assuming that you want to be able to get the new pickup by itself. The middle terminal of the double throw switch would go to the volume control where the pickup hot wire used to go. The two pickup hot wires would go to opposite outer terminals of the switch. You could use a double pole double throw switch (DPDT) by just using half of it. They seem more common than single pole double throw switches (SPST).

Your pickup selector switch would still work. The new switch would just change what was going into the one volume, tone and pickup selector switch. You would probably hear a pop when you used the switch, unless you went to the trouble to hunt up a "make-before-break" switch. This would be easier to find from an electronics supplier than a guitar parts firm.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    If you want it alone...
    use a DPDT Center Off switch.
    Have the out from the 3 way go to one center terminal.
    The M p-up hot goes to the other.
    one sides terminals both go to where the 3 way out would.
    the other side only the M p-up terminal does.
    This gives: M alone, off, M w normal 3 way combo.

5. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    When I added a middle p/u to my (conventional) Telecaster, I simply put a mini-toggle between the (single) volume and tone for the new p/u. With this set-up, the normal three way selector works as usual, and the toggle just adds the middle p/u to whatever is already selected. I wasn't interested in using the middle by itself, but mainly to get a "Strat-style" in between sound, like Knopfler. I so rarely kick it in, but it's there for variety. I still prefer just a master volume and master tone controls.

Nickadermis and Tollehouse Twang like this.

6. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    This is what I'm after. I'm not too concerned with having the middle only option. Just want the strat tones available.

How did you wire it?

7. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Just use a push/pull tone pot and wire the middle pickup to it. Pull up and you can add the middle pickup to any other combination. Pop it down and you're back to wherever you were before. No additional pots and no need to drill the control plate for a mini switch. IMHO it's the simplest solution if middle only isn't needed.

8. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Definitely the best way to do it. But I actually already have the extra switch laying around so I'm going to use that. Would you say it's basically the same thing but just wiring it to the switch?

soulman969 likes this.

9. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    This also sounds like a good option. Wish I could get a diagram! I don't quite understand this portion

10. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

I need to look at this for my own Tele abomination. Firebird neck, Tele neck in the middle, And tele bridge.

Thanks !

Tollehouse Twang likes this.

11. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Does this look correct?

Attached Files:

12. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    That sounds interesting. So, Tele body, Firebird neck, Tele neck p/u, Tele neck p/u in middle, and Tele bridge p/u? Regular 3-way selector w/ master volume and tone? Yeah, adding a mini-toggle for middle p/u would work great, as long as you never want middle p/u by itself. I have debated (still am) about making a custom control plate with THREE mini-toggles for p/u's. Already have a Tele plate undrilled for anything. Got it from GuitarFetish.

13. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
    the other way to do this with four pots is to wire one as a master tone and each pickup to a volume pot. The middle pickup out put goes straight to the output jack and the other two to the switch. If you wire the volume pots like this :
    1240_2133_2.gif

You can add as much or as little of the middle pickup as you want or by turning down the main volumes have the middle pickup by itself.

here's the Frampton version:
    les-paul-3pu-mod-schematic.jpg

14. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 18, 2016
    Camden Point, MO

Tele body with the firebird raised center. Firebird neck PU, tele neck PU in the middle, and tele bridge at the bridge.

I finished the sonic blue paint, now a couple layers of clear and I hope to be wrapping it up.

nojazzhere likes this.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Englewood, CO
    Yep. Just the same and all just a matter of preference. Mine is wired to a p/p pot but a mini switch would do the same. I kinda like it this way because I can use all three pickup in combination plus get my Pos. #2 and #4 kind of "quack".

16. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    I ll try and draw/photo a diagram tomorrow. BUT, do you want the Middle alone ever ? Someone assumed you did , so I took that into account, but if you just only want the M in combo you can just leave everthing alone and just add a SPST switch w one terminal the Middle hot and the other a wire going to the pot lug that the 3 way goes to.

17. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Does the yellow from the Middle go directly to the pots or just the switch?

18. Tollehouse Twang

Jul 24, 2017
    Vista, ca
    Thanks! That would be greatly appreciated!!

I'm not against having the middle only option. But I definitely don't NEED it. It's for the n+m and m+b and n+m+b tones I'm after.

So if it's any easier then I'm totally ok with not having middle pup alone.

And it looks like the yellow wire goes to the switch. You have to look closely but the yellow crosses the other yellow wire and connects to the switch.

19. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    IMG_20171213_152115.jpg that's for Middle alone in addition to the combos

20. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Feb 7, 2011
    Lewes De.
    Ooops no its not thats the same

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.