Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

3-saddle bridge or 6-saddle?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Micof, Sep 28, 2009.

1. getting a more "resonant" tele tone ..

this site
    is difficult to navigate ..

i hope
    this is
    the approriate place
    for this ..

this is a text message
    i sent
    to a guitar tech & guitarist
    i 'm faint acquaintences with
    in new york city ..

i noticed online
    you 're playing
    a telecaster ..

along with your prs ..

if you want to get
    a more "resonant" tone
    out of the tele
    loosen ..
    better yet remove ..
    the upper
    bridge pickup plate screws ..
    leave the ones
    behind the saddles intact ..
    though you can
    ever so slightly
    loosen them ..
    this allows
    more string vibration
    to transmit through
    a "floating" plate ..

i went so far
    as to remove
    the single pole bridge pickup entirely ..
    creating
    a "sound hole"
    and now use
    just
    the "lipstick"
    neck pickup
    which also has
    a more "resonant" sound ..

also ..
    if you use
    the old "3 barrel"
    brass saddles
    they transmit
    even more vibration ..
    since it's
    one set screw per string
    instead of two ..

2. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

Apr 4, 2010
    7th Galaxy

3. Telemach_1

Telemach_1 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 2, 2009
    Somewhere in the woods of
    Brent Mason is using six saddles and also closed type tuners on his massacred 68 Tele. What a terrible sound ;) ;9 #

4. Telemaniac Jack

Telemaniac Jack TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Netherlands
    My Baja has three saddles. Was dead simple to adjust intonation. Way more sustain, tone, bite, whatever than a six saddle bridge. On my AVRI 52 which i had before i also noticed a big difference sound- and tonewise between the compensated saddles and the original brass saddles, which i immediately put back. And with a little help from the 'JD intonation' and some patience, fiddling you can achieve (near) perfect intonation with the original brass saddles. That's why i stick with the three saddle set up on my Baja.

5. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Jun 23, 2010
    Alaska
    I think 3 barrel bridges are ridiculous. Why wouldn't you want 6 saddles. Fender has made them standard.

6. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    3. Feels better than 6. Intonation be damned! That's what bending is for :lol:

7. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Don't see why it should be declared "Ridiculous" ... its part of the history of the guitar.

Not all changes, are necessarily for the better.

8. Telemaniac Jack

Telemaniac Jack TDPRI Member

Jun 7, 2013
    Netherlands
    Indeed, its part of the Tele's history, and has been for many, many years, i reckon Fender only introduced the six saddle bridge as standard in the eighties. That was thirty years after it was launched! So it certainly wasn't that bad.
    Now, everyone can choose from an incredible multitude of Telecasters: which type, bridge, saddles, compensated or not, steel, brass, grooved, you name it. Which is best can only be decided by you, for you.

9. Edwin

Edwin Banned

Jun 23, 2010
    Alaska
    I have to disagree. I couldn't stand playing a Tele until They changed that awkward bridge. I guess I just prefer a guitar that doesn't chew up my right hand and can actually be in tune. As soon as I found out that the mighty Telecaster had a six saddle bridge I bought 2 of them and don't regret it. Barrel saddles don't exist at my house. You can get what you want it's your money but don't expect me to do the aftermarket barrel bridge thing. It ain't my cup of tea.

10. Tele-phone man

Tele-phone man Tele-Afflicted

Sep 11, 2006
    Asheville, NC
    I recently went from a modern Gotoh bridge on both of my Teles to a stainless steel bridge plate w/ 3 compensated brass saddles. It did it NOT to go to three saddles, but I wanted a thinner, smaller, less dense bridge plate, and I wanted to get away from brass around my pickup. Both guitars sound significantly better with the new bridges. I think it has more to do with the bridge plate than with the saddles. However, on the old bridge I would occasionally hear a "plink" when bending certain strings, which told me something was moving with heavy use. With th new bridges, everything feels more solid, and my open notes ring with more clarity and body.

As a bonus, my bridge pickups have more vintage vibe than before. It sounds more like a Tele than ever.

11. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2011
    Philadelphia, PA
    Is that so much to ask?? :lol:

12. richinva

richinva Tele-Meister

Apr 13, 2010
    Rice, VA
    Absolutely this.

13. Thamapol

Thamapol TDPRI Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Long Beach, CA
    Ask any luthier about 6 vs 3 saddles. Most will say 6 saddles. They are not only easier to intonate but the intonation adjustment 1 string:1 saddle better than 2 strings:1 saddle. Makes sense to me. The 3 saddle are way cooler looking but if ya want to keep your guitar intonated and in tune, go with 6 saddles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.