Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

3-saddle bridge or 6-saddle?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Micof, Sep 28, 2009.

1. i forgot to mention

the sound is great

louder

more BLARING

the strings are vibrating more at the bridge
    sitting on top of a cylinder
    as opposed to sitting in a groove
    as with a block style saddle

2. slimodom

slimodom Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    van Buren arkansas
    i have one of thees on my parts tele it works well

3. Ace1432

Ace1432 TDPRI Member

Mar 14, 2011
    wisconsin
    [​IMG]

these are what ive got on my tele. joe barden compensated. im still tweaking them for proper intonation

4. Suicideking

Suicideking Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2010
    Palm Bay FL
    I have had both, and LOTS of different bridges with both. Right now I honestly prefer the sound of my 6 saddle Gotoh, IMO it sounds better and fuller. You can play the vintage style pickups with higher overdrive and gain without it feeding back so bad. You can definetly get really close as far as intonation goes with the 3 barrel compensated saddles. IMO close enough you can get it spot on with the 6 saddle, but you can hardly notice the difference when playing. IMO I just like the Gotoh the best out of what I have played so far, before that it was all 3 saddles but after getting the Gotoh I will definetly always have a Tele with both 3 and 6 saddles, but the Gotoh will always be on my #1....

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    :D
    I love when people actually use paragraphs when typing things out on a forum, but you seem to have taken it a bit far. :D Just kiddin' with ya. Must be a setting or something messing with your text.

6. Teleboss

Teleboss Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Williamson,WV
    I have a 24 year-old Strat and a new Tele. Both have 6 saddles and sound, play, and feel great. No problems ever with them. I bought the Strat new. String height adjustments are a breeze.

7. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    I think this has been said somewhere else but is the truth so here it is again:

I've NEVER had someone in the audience walk up to me after a show and tell me that I don't have the "all-important vintage look" that my 1968 tele was built with --- due to the bridge having 6 saddles.

If you sound good no-one cares about the bridge. If you sound like crapola no-one cares about the bridge.

8. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

Dec 30, 2006
    Australia
    +1....I'm with you on this KingBee...I don't understand the devotion to the prehistoric bridges.

Except on vintage instruments... I'll always take a 6 saddle bridge.

9. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    StringHeights are even easier on a 3 saddle bridge because there are a lot les screws.

10. ledet

ledet Tele-Holic

Jun 2, 2009
    Hjørring, Denmark
    Three brass saddles look best. Modern, non-ashtray bridges are just plain ugly to me.

I use a Fender AV52 bridge on my MIM Standard, it has non-compensated saddles and intonation is fine. The tone seemed more open after the swap to brass saddles, but maybe that was just the new strings.

I just can't stand the look of modern bridges. Same goes for modern tuners.

11. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

This was never about whether somebody walks up and comments on the bridge (either way).

I guess the "all important vintage look" is important to him; same as finish, colour, appointments, style (52/63 etc) are important to most players when appreciating the purely aesthetic values of a guitar .......

Your post makes it sound like you judge guitars based on what audience members will approach you and comment on. ;)

12. samurai

samurai TDPRI Member

Apr 10, 2011
    Chicago-'Burbs
    Gratuitous Wilkinson 6 barrel pic on my Hamer. Also, I thought the gold hardware would open up an entirely new can o' worms. :p

[​IMG][​IMG]

13. hi mr. colt (w knight)
    carl martineau here in berkeley
    (.. bezerkeley ..)

regarding paragraphs
    and tele stuff ..

if it 's worth doing ..
    it 's worth over doing ..

actually
    i just try to make the read more visual
    hopefully it 's easier that way

14. Bartholomew3

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal
    There has to be a reason those compensated saddle Wilkinson bridges sell on fleabay for $20 - because no-one wants them ???

15. mattyj

mattyj Tele-Meister

Sep 9, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    I feel like I
    should be singing along.

I'm trying out 3 saddles on my MIM soon. If I can be bothered, I'll try to write as objectively as I can afterwards.

16. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    Because they're not expensive to begin with and not in short supply.

I have two Teles. One has a Wilkinson three-saddle compensated (without bearings) bridge and one has a Gotoh six-saddle. A deliberate choice to highlight the differences between the guitars. I love playing them both.

17. Gibson

Gibson Friend of Leo's

Feb 13, 2007
    Park Island
    Just realized:

[​IMG]

18. Bartholomew3

Dec 8, 2010
    Montreal

The raised sides on the vintage bridge get in my way and I also use a brass 6 saddle which I like better for what I do. Am ordering a Gotoh because the brass bridge I installed way back is warped and doesn't sit flat.

Have the original from my 68 telecaster - only used it for a year - see them on e-bay for $400 to $1,000 - am tempted to sell it along with the original pick-ups. Would hate to try and bend/compensate it - could be an expensive proposition if the pliers break something.

Have been mainly using a 74 Les Paul Custom lately - weighs a ton but seems to fill up the sound more in a trio at lower volumes.

19. nickd

nickd Tele-Meister

Apr 18, 2011
    Yorkshire, UK
    I bought some of Marc Rutters saddles. They were excellent except they were ALL marked incorrect to the position of where they need to be. After a lot of juggeling around of the saddles and the lengths, and I finally got it right. I was getting OCD over it all as I am obsessive when I know something can perform better than it currently does.

I much perfer the 3 saddle setup. Theres more sustain than say a 6 saddle strat. Apart from that, it's tradition. I use stainless steel Mark rutters saddles, I strongly reccomend them!

20. getting a more "resonant" tele tone ..

go to second post below ..
    unable
    to delete this one ..
    can edit only ..

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.