Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

3 pickup tele

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by thegaijin, Mar 23, 2017.

1. thegaijin

thegaijin Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2012
    Tokyo
    The plan is to put a strat pickup between standard tele neck and standard tele bridge pickups.
    There seems to be endless diagrams out there with all sorts of fancy combos (Bremt Mason etc), and as much as I'm tempted to have a million different tones, really I just want to be able to blend in the middle pickup to the 3 existing tele positions (or turn the vol on the middle pickup to zero and have a regular tele). I found a diagram that looks like it achieves this, but would like to hear your opinions before I let rip with my soldering iron. The diagram is here: https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21112-three-must-try-guitar-wiring-mods?page=3

The diagram is for a strat, but should work on a tele too if I drill the control plate and add another 250k pot in the middle... riiiight??? Will this mess up the stock tele sounds of N, N+B, B even if the middle volume knob for the middle blend is rolled all the way down?

Also as far as choice of middle pickup goes, that depends on what neck and bridge I go with so I won't ask for pickup suggestions (yet), but I would like to know if the middle pickup should be standard or RW/RP (the neck and bridge will be standard tele pickups).

Any comments would be appreciated as this is the first time I'll be putting together Nashville type tele.

2. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    Here's the "blend" wiring Bill Lawrence did for Jimi Hendrix. The blend mixes in the middle pickup as you get to the bottom of the taper.

[​IMG]

3. Derek Kiernan

Derek Kiernan Friend of Leo's

Sep 7, 2008
    Princeton, NJ
    Notice the blend acts like a tone control, not a volume pot, and doesn't have a path to ground other than the pickup.

4. thegaijin

thegaijin Tele-Meister

Oct 2, 2012
    Tokyo
    Thank you Derek. If it's good enough for Jimi....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.