Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

3-48 Inserts

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Torren61, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I'm looking for 3-48 screw inserts so I can mount pickups directly to the body. Anyone know where I can find them? Are they made?

2. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Holic

Nov 25, 2011
    Perth Australia
    I built a Les Paul Deluxe a few years ago with mini hums and I made 3mm thick aluminium mounting plates. The plates were screwed into the pup cavity and I tapped the pup mounting holes for threaded machine screws, normal humbucker screws, they were 3-48. I purchased the tap online. Don't remember where except it was a US supplier.

IMG_0168.jpg

Torren61 likes this.

3. bubba01

bubba01 Tele-Meister

Oct 18, 2009
    Dallas, TX
    McMaster-Carr

RodeoTex and Torren61 like this.

4. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    They don't have them. Thanks though!

5. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Like posted above, a drill and tap may be your best bet

6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    try one of the large Hardware chains.. the have a huge selection of screws... ask the Helpful Hardware man... conversely.. try the local Hobby Shop... that's a common screw size for Remote Controlled Models..

Oh.. wait... Inserts?? Why 3/48? i use 4/40 or 6/32 ..

Ron Kirn

7. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    If I'm understanding you, you want the humbucker mounting screws to pass freely through the tabs on the humbuckers, then pass through springs or rubber tubing, then screw into threaded (somethings) mounted to your guitar body underneath the pickups right? If this is the case, then don't you have to drill out the tabs on the humbucker anyway so the screws pass freely through? If so, as Ron mentioned, I think you can use any size screw you want. I'm guessing the only advantage to using 3-48 is you already have 4 screws that size that came with the pickups. Is this right?

Good luck.
    Rex

telemnemonics likes this.

8. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Okay, I must be thinking wrongly here. I was going to drill the inserts into the body under the screw tabs for the pickups. I was going to file a bit of thread away at the top end of the screws so that once they pass through the threaded tabs, they would just spin. The thought was that I would get adjustability with the screws going through the tabs, through springs and into the inserts in the body. Drilling out the pickups' screw tabs wasn't going to be an option.

I was trying to avoid using foam under the pickups. I figured I could add hardwood shim blocks (I have some wenge laying around) to get the pickups somewhat close yet leave a little room for adjustment.

If there's a better way, I'm all for it. I just thought I had it figured out until I couldn't find the 3-48 inserts. 3-48 because I know that's the size of the screws that fit the screw tabs of the pups.

9. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

May 1, 2003
    Jacksonville, FL
    I prefer the foam in a similar mounting arrangement.. however I put a double thickness so the pup compresses it firmly when adjusted to the correct height... and simple #4 wood screws will be more than adequate mich like a Tele neck pup is mounted.

rk

Torren61 likes this.

10. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Thanks, I'll do it that way then. :)

11. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Sounds like that would work (filing the threads off the top of the pickup mounting screws so the spin in the tab, thus saving the threaded holes in the pickups), but you know if you don't tell us exactly what you're planning you're going to hear about what we would be planning!
    Not sure why you want to skip the foam, but that will likely give you floppy pups.
    Threaded inserts would be a good deal bigger than the pickup tab and might be hard to fit in the tight space, assuming that there is no trim ring. I'd go with tapping the wood for the screws. For that matter, if you can get some machinists number drills you can make test holes in scrap and simply drive the #3 machine screws into the wood without tapping the holes.
    Not sure where your putting hardwood blocks?
    Under the pickups with no foam, they would not do anything unless you mean to put them between the springs/ tubing and the bottom of the tab rout.

Torren61 likes this.

12. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    I have enough parts for three PartsCasters. One is a spalted maple over alder with a '68 reissue MIJ neck. That one's been assembled for about five years with Eric Johnson electronics but I'm bored with it so I'm taking it apart again and I'm doing a H-S-H with a different neck. I have two Sheptone HBs and I'm going to use the bridge EJ single coil for the middle.

The guitar I'm asking about the inserts in a maple over black limba. I have a mahogany neck with massaranduba fingerboard. I have a T-top HB for the bridge and I'll use the remaining EJ single coils for middle and neck positions.

Here's the axe:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had it looking pretty good with the first coat of poly on the top. Then, I put a coat of poly on the back before I left for work so it'd be dry when I got home. Unfortunately, I must have used too much. When I got home and flipped over the guitar, I had drips on the top, lol. Sanding time. I had run out of amber dye so I'm waiting for that to arrive and I'll re-dye the top with a bit more amber this time.

I like the look of a nice top with no pickup rings or pick guard. When I did my "shower thinking", I came up with using inserts in the body. I was trying to avoid using foam with the idea that springs might give a better coupling and inserts seemed like a great solution.

The third PartsCaster will likely wait until I find something special to put in it. Probably a special set of single coils that I'll buy as another overtime trophy in the future.

13. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    Since we're brainstorming, lol, anyone have an elegant solution for the cavity plate? Any way to maybe make it a push and release thing? I thought i read about someone doing that. They had a spring or magnet so that it stayed in place until they pushed on it and then it popped up. Otherwise, it'll get screws.

14. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    Magnets could work. Otherwise a spring latch.

15. Torren61

Torren61 Tele-Meister

Mar 12, 2013
    Humboldt County, CA
    How does a spring latch work?

16. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I'm probably calling it by the wrong name but it's the same machinism that holds the battery door on your tv remote

17. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

Oct 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    These are too large both in diameter and depth for what he is doing. I've bought some to play around with ideas like that, including a pop-out strap button. No dice.

Magnets work well, I've done that several times. I like to put the magnets on the cover and put screws in a counterbore in the body so that I can adjust the distance from magnet to screw head and thus change the amount of magnetic force keeping the plate attached. I like a little indentation on the bottom side of the cover and a little indent on the body so that it is just finger access. It can also be made to pop out when pressing on one side if you make the magnets and/or screws sit up above the wood lip a little bit.

Torren61 likes this.

18. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2011
    Tucson
    Hey, it's already been said but your idea of filing off a little bit of the screw thread rather than my idea of drilling out your humbucker tabs is A LOT better way to go. Keeps your pickups viable in other guitars as well if you ever get rid of them.

Torren61 likes this.

19. ndeli55

ndeli55 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2008
    oklahoma
    I thought of staking a small bolt on the end of the elevator screws and mounting it so it could spin freely in the guitar. It would interact with the threaded tabs the same and a spring would keep tension on screw shaft. The new standards are doing something like this but adjusted from behind.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
    Torren61 likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.