2xEmi GA10 SC64 in a SF Vibrolux?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by BBill64, May 18, 2019.

1. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

One of the CTS alnicos in my Vibrolux is very tired and needs a recone. I picked up a pair of the Emi Alessandros a bit cheaper than the new price and stuck them in there for the time being.

It sounds pretty flippin fantastic at polite levels, but I'm a little concerned that the combined 40 watts of the Eminence isn't enough for the Vibrolux used in anger. (Back panel says 40watts but it's more like 30, isn't it?)

Are Eminence accurate with their power ratings or should I be worried?

2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Hard to say, but Emi's hold up pretty well. It may depend on how loud you actually play the Vlux. Hard to beat the GA SC tone though. My guess is they are at least as durable as the CTS alnicos.

3. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

If you don't crank up the volume, no worries ...

4. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

If I gig it now and then, turning it up to 6/7/8 on the volume?

5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

My guess is that the Eminence GA-10s (and probably all the Eminence line) are conservatively rated and that you'll be fine, even at 6-8 on the dial.

Telecastoff1, jondanger and BBill64 like this.
  6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

That's loud in a V'lux. As loud as it's going to get really, above 5 or so it just adds grit. But if the CTS held up to that.... I couldn't gig my V'ux above 3....

7. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

I thought so with Eminence. Thanks.

8. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

I've cranked a Blackface VR with a pair of Alessandro 10's, and it sounded amazing. Didn't play it long, but me nor the owner were concerned.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

9. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

You're probably ok; 40w of amp into 40w of speaker is at the limit, but not beyond.

A vox ac15, for example, is often played into a 15w alnico blue.

10. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

My 83 Superchamp is dissipating 18 watts at the plates, and I'm pushing it with drive. I have the SC64 GA10 speaker in it and I am loving it. So far it's hanging in really well.

Big clean on edge of breakup and lovely cathodyne phase inverter response. There's a really nice papery/crisp tone that's sparky, tight but really nice. It's very efficient.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  11. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

If those are 20w speakers, it will be fine. Until it isn't. We can't tell you when that will happen. But it will happen sooner if you turn up to 6-8, than if you don't. And the times you are turned up to 6-8 are the most likely opportunities.

12. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

As long as I'm not more at risk than I was using the original CTS speakers (25w each I think? plus 40 years of ageing), I'm happy

13. Faceman

Faceman TDPRI Member

Best sounding Vibrolux I have ever heard was in Nashville played by William Bagby at the Music City Bar and Grill. He had Redback Warehouse speakers in it. Sounded amazing!

14. BBill64

BBill64 Tele-Afflicted

They're a little harder to come by over here but thanks for the tip. Smooth cone is interesting.

15. Telecastoff1

Telecastoff1 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I have an older pair of Eminence/Fender Blue Frame Alnico speakers in my Black-Faced Vibrolux Reverb. Each speaker is rated at 20 watts and they're holding up just fine. However, I never need to go over 5 with this amp. If I need anymore power than that, I'll use one of my Fender Twins.

16. Rumblur

Rumblur TDPRI Member

Does it sound like the cone is about to jump out of the amp? Is it farting and flapping and distorting in an unpleasing way? Then your speakers are fine. That amp cranked wide open with tone controls wide open, is supposedly 35 watts. Let's say you have it set to 7-7-7, you're probably looking at 25-28 watts.

I've heard people blowing up Celestions and old speakers, but I've never heard of anyone blowing out a Eminence.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.