Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

2nd Pinecaster completed

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Arlo, Aug 13, 2006.

1. bluesbishop

bluesbishop Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2005
    Ocala, FL CHICAGO BORN!
    WOW:eek: Great Tele, playing and tone!!! I'm normally a tube amp snob, but I really loved the tone of your Line 6 Flextone III...sounds great with your fingers!!!:D

2. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    It's funny how these old posts come back to life every once in awhile. I would not have known if I hadn't done a search. ;)

Taipan:

The saddle question can be answered in one word - Glendale.

If you have never been to Dale's amazing website and drooled over his Telecaster parts I suggest that you go there ASAP.

[​IMG]

Sudancat:

Yep that one sure does get a lot of views! I was quite surprised indeed and a lot of them are from the TDPRI thanks to my friend Fuzzy.

Played a great gig last night with Firewater Creek my country rock band. Of course Ol' Piney was there with about 5 other Pine character's from my collection.

I was there at high noon for the setup and sound check and on my way out of the building I had Piney in a soft shell case. As I was walking to the pickup truck she slipped out of my hands!!! :eek:

Piney went face down directly to the pavement. First she hit the body and then slammed down to the neck. I thought I was gonna have a broken guitar!!
    I didn't even dare to open the case I was so freaked out.

I was driving home in the truck and got to the first light and couldn't stand it I had to look. :D Not a blemish, not even out of tune. Whew!!!

One solid hunk of Pine that guitar.

3. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2003
    Ontario County
    Not to worry Arlo,it's only a chunk of wood and Pine -Mart is only an email away...LOL.
    mm

4. city lights

city lights Tele-Meister

Mar 20, 2007
    Malaysia
    I just love ur song Oasis,soulful and melodic,kind of reminds me a lil of Satriani+little wing with lots of extras,great songwriting,skills and tone!its songs like these that inspire me to start writing songs again(hopefully presentable):lol: well,just what i had to say after hearing you,thanks for the music,u made my day!

5. Telemarkman

Telemarkman Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 6, 2005
    Norway

So Leo was wrong after all? :confused: Hee, hee ! ;)

6. Bruce Bennett

Bruce Bennett Banned

Apr 9, 2004
    chattanooga TN
    Very nice work, you should be very proud.

love that grain, I have a hard time finding Sugar Pine thats cut like that,.. locally that is.

I started building Sugar Pine Teles in 1986, and I still say they have that "right" 50s Tele sound..

and My 4 ruptured discs sure do like the weight.

Keep up the good work.

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Jan 21, 2007
    Tucson, AZ
    The picture of your new pinecaster made my day.

8. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 27, 2006
    GA
    I would love to make one of these but don't really know where to get a pine body. I wonder if these take well to a gloss finish?

9. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    This is Ol Piney. Built her in 2006 and there are a couple of threads about her on the forum.

Here is a one year later thread.

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecast...714-she-naked-waxed-smooth-take-look-8-a.html

[​IMG]

Here is one cut from the same Pine board that is being customized, painted and put together by Ron Kirn.

[​IMG]

Looks like this now but there are many cool changes coming so stay tuned.

[​IMG]

This one also is from the same cut of Pine.

[​IMG]

10. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    All three of these came from our own Pinemart here at the TDPRI.

Marty is the person to seek if you need a good Pine body. His screen name is "guitarbuilder" send him a PM Stuco.

Another is Jason "jaydawg" he is making me two now.

I don't see why it wouldn't look awesome with a gloss finish. I got one being painted by the master builder Mr. Kirn :cool:

11. Fatmanstratman

Fatmanstratman Poster Extraordinaire

Arlo, you can be sure its in good hands!

I wish folks wouldn't keep resurrecting your Pinecaster threads - gives me awful bad * G.A.S. *.....:eek: :oops:

12. 62_Inca_Esquire

62_Inca_Esquire Tele-Afflicted

Feb 10, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I can personally attest to the high quality of Jaydawg's work...

Here's the body he built for me...now I'm just waiting for parts... :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    Hi Steve,

Ron is the man no doubt about that bro! Did Bill email you yet? He said he was going to contact you.

I was a little surprised to see this thread come back to life. Got a new Pinecaster thread as soon as Ron completes the Dalmore for me.

Arlo

14. Brick

Brick Tele-Holic

Mar 22, 2003
    San Jose
    Wow. Nice one. My first pinecaster build is the liveliest sounding guitar I've ever owned. Those Glendale bridges have a lot to do with it.

15. axmaker

axmaker Tele-Holic

Mar 29, 2008
    Oakley, CA
    omg, look at that grain.......:eek:

16. Chrismeyer

Chrismeyer Tele-Holic

Jul 19, 2003
    Atlanta GA
    Arlo,you're killin me!
    I want to make one now! Those are AWESOME!!! Killer grain,and so warm looking.They look like they fell satin-y!
    Can you post some samples on your site of the guitar in all the pup positions? I want to hear what it'll do!
    Oh yeah and just between you and me I vote for the tort pg.

17. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    Chris and everyone who is new to this thread let me explain that 'Ol Piney has been built and functioning for some time now. I have a couple of You Tube videos with Piney in action.

This is an Amazing Rhythm Aces song called "The End is Not in Sight (Cowboy Song)"

Chris you probably will like this one it is a little heavier than the above. Some great examples of the Keystones in action.

'Ol Piney has a permanent El Dorado pick guard now.

[​IMG]

There are a few future changes coming to her though. I am planning on installing a BL Chrome Keystone in the neck position. I am also going to replace the vintage radius neck with a Warmoth thin C with a 9.5 radius with a nicely flamed vintage amber tint.

[​IMG]

The grain on this guitar is trully inspiring to those Pine enthusiast out there. I was in the right place at the right time. I had contacted Marty and he sent me a picture of three body's he had.

[​IMG]

I bought all three. One was 'Ol Piney and a second cut the tobacco "Pineburst" above. The third was a reclaimed Pine "Barncaster" two piece with 100 year old wood. Very light and dry, resonant and cool with the "Ye Olde Nail Hole"

Here are the three completed.

[​IMG]

I have put together quite a collection of Pine guitars. Tele's, Strat's and now even a LP Jr from TAIPAN on the horizon.

The third Pine that belongs to the 'Ol Piney family is in Ron Kirn's hands now. It will sport a vintage amber nitro finish with black binding. There are some exciting add on's that I don't want to give away too much of at this time but it will certainly be a sweet looker.

If it has the same resonant quality as the other two from that same cut of Pine with straight grain then I will be happy with the trilogy. That Pine Plank Marty scored was a magic one for sure and I have never ever seen another Pine body with that kind of grain since.

18. Jack Wells

Jack Wells Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Oct 19, 2003
    Albuquerque, USA
    Great looking guitars there Arlo. Over the years I've found that pine doesn't take stain that well. It often looks blotchy ..........at least my attempts using Minwax stains. I think it's best left natural like you did or sprayed with a tinted lacquer.

Hmmm............ I need to get myself some pine.

19. ehawley

ehawley Tele-Afflicted

Jul 16, 2005
    Keyport, New Jersey
    Beautiful Arlo!... You have me thinking pine again! I'm going to make a stop at Willard Bros. woods and take a look for a good plank!
    Thanks
    ED

20. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Jul 22, 2006
    Upta Camp
    Here is a nice pic of the Barncaster:

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.