Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

291AEX Transformer in 5F1 - 240v

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by brackp, Feb 10, 2019.

1. brackp

brackp TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Ireland
    Hi all, first time posting here.

I'm building a 5F1 from a kit and the power transformer we got is a 291AEX which should support 240v which is what we use over here in Ireland.

The box has a sticker saying that the primary has two black wires for 240v:
    291AEX_box.jpg

The transformer itself only has one black wire though:
    291AEX_label.jpg

This matches the design I find here: https://www.hammfg.com/files/parts/pdf/291AEX.pdf

OK, so I get that the Green 6.3V wires go to the 6V6 (via the indicator light), and the Green/Yellow wire is ground to the chassis.
    The Yellow 5V wires go to the 5Y3.
    The Red 325V wires go to the 5Y3 and the Red/Yellow wire is ground to the chassis along with the ground from the power cord.

Am I correct so far? :)

This is where I get a little bit lost. The Red/White wires are 550VCT which I'm not using so I'll isolate them together (i.e. connected)

I think to get 240V I need to connect Brown and Black which should get me 240V across Blue and White, is that right?

From here I'm thinking the White is connected to the Neutral from my power cord and the Blue is connected to the Fuse and the Pot. (I don't think it actually matters which one I use here, it's all 240V right?)

I'm not using the Blue/Yellow and White/Black center taps so I'll just isolate them separately.

Hopefully I've not rambled too much and this makes some shade of sense to people.

Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  2. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Sep 10, 2013
    Georgia
    I'm not the one to help you out on all those wires, but I will recommend using the 275v tap. I have used their 290CAX for a few projects, and the 275v secondary puts my Tweed Princeton dead on the money with the original voltages listed on the Champ schematic. 340v B+ and everything down the board was within 1% or so as well.

Mr Ridesglide likes this.
  3. brackp

brackp TDPRI Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Ireland
    Thanks! I wasn't too sure which to go with. For anyone else reading, my plan to connect the Red/White wires was a bad one and would have shorted the transformer. Phew!

jsnwhite619 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.