Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

24" scale neck on a 25.5" scale body?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by ValveFan, Feb 2, 2013.

1. ValveFan

ValveFan Tele-Meister

There's a frankenstein guitar on ebay that consists of a "standard" 25.5" scale strat style body bolted up to a 3/4 scale (24") neck. Will the intonation work out correctly with that combo? It's a Squier Showmaster body and a Duo-Sonic neck. I'm not all that serious about buying it but it made me curious.

2. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

Not unless he moved the bridge back an inch and a half. Which I imagine would be quite difficult with the trem routing in place for a 25.5" neck.

3. TheFullMonty

TheFullMonty Tele-Holic

Disregard that information. I just woke up from a nap and I'm not in my right mind.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ValveFan

ValveFan Tele-Meister

Well, I can't remember the last time I was in my right mind...

So, are you saying it will intonate correctly, or you don't know? I appreciate you taking the time to reply in any case.

6. twiggymac

twiggymac Tele-Holic

SHOULD be a conversion neck, which means it SHOULD be okay

7. JasonRobert

JasonRobert Tele-Holic

if there is a picture of the whole guitar, in a birds eye view (ie looking straight down).. then you could print off the picture, then measure with a ruler from the nut to the 12th fret. Then measure from the 12th fret to the point the string goes over the bridge (or where the string first touches the saddles). as long as the picture is taken fairly straight, the two measurements should be roughly the same. If they are miles out, then the intonation will be wrong.

8. AussieAndrew

AussieAndrew Friend of Leo's

Forget it and keep looking.
    Andrew.

9. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

For it to work the bridge would've had to have been moved, or they wouldve had to use a conversion neck (24.75" I think, & I don't think fender makes conversion necks, I think warmoth does)

10. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

"Conversion" necks are basically just the same as capoing the first fret.

The headstock is brought down 1.5"

11. benderb9

benderb9 Tele-Holic

I had put a 24.75" Mighty Mite neck on a body routed for a Fender scale 25.5" neck and had to cut out the front of the pickup route to get the bridge in the right place. I'd suspect that you's have to cut a lot of real estate out of that Strat body to make it work.

12. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

Rondo sells them all the time.....................full size strat body with a conversion neck. It works...............no big gig ;)

[​IMG]

LINK

13. AussieAndrew

I just measured the distance between the nut & 12th fret, then the saddles & 12th fret. Major discrepency. About 2 1/2 frets worth.
    It's just a short scale neck on an unaltered full strat body. Intonation will still be lacking.
    Andrew.

14. CrisHendrix

CrisHendrix Tele-Afflicted

If the rondo does work they could just be making the body with the bridge moved up

The problem is using a standard full scale fender body with a non-conversion short scale neck, something has to give

15. crazydave911

crazydave911 Poster Extraordinaire

It's just a shorter neck...............that's all............on this one at least :)

16. AussieAndrew

Yeah, it'll work but it wont be very useful as the intonation/harmonics will be out. The centre of it's scale won't be at the 12th fret, it'll be closer towards the body at say, the centre of the 13th fret for example. :(The exact distance between the nut & 12th fret needs to match the distance between the saddle & 12th fret (exactly) for correct intonation. Give & take a poofteenth for the thickness of each string-the very reason why saddles are adjustable.
    I 'spose it'd be OK for someone just starting out (playing open chords). It all depends on how fussy one is ~ I'm sure most stringslingers are pretty fussy. I am. :)
    Cheers,
    Andrew.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.